BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I noticed a couple of things with my M6 when driving back down from Bimmerfest, so I decided to take a look today. Ultimately, I found what I pretty much expected; 2 front right brake pistons that could use a rebuild, and the wheel bearing on the same corner that's noisy.

Button the car up, and take it out for a short drive to make sure I didn't forget anything. Decide to pull into the liquor store the next block over and pick up some lotto tix ($40M tonight). Get back in, turn the key, and nothing. No lights, no sounds; I might as well have been trying to start a skateboard. Hmm, it was running 2 minutes ago. Nothing obvious under the hood, under the car, or in the trunk; the battery isn't leaking or anything.

Walk back to my house (only 5 mins), grab the Bentley (maybe there's a fusible link or something?), jumper cables, my Fluke DMM, and my E46, and drive back to the M6. Break out the DMM and check the battery. 0v. Well, that can't be right. I put the probe back on the battery clamp, and it's jiggling. WTF? The the trunk light turns on. :mad: :mad: :mad: 12.54v. Pound on the clamp a few times with the toolkit pliers, get in, and the dash lights up; car starts. GDMFSOB. Go home. Walk back to the liquor store, pick up the E46.

Maybe I'll clean and re-clamp it in another hour or so when I feel like looking at it again...

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Loose battery clamp can have some strange symptoms, too:
Power sliding door on Honda Odyssey keeps beeping that it's not closed -- it is. Finally have a dead battery -- 6 year old OE battery. Charge it and it's fine -- and the tightened clamp also "fixes" the door warning signal.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Kaz said:
Maybe I'll clean and re-clamp [the battery] in another hour or so when I feel like looking at it again...
I hope you do that before you drive the car again and that you make sure you have found the true cause of it disconnecting. I only remind you of the obvious because having the battery disconnect at a high engine rpm could damage a lot of the car's electronics!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts