BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Some of you may remember me from as being an old school 'Fester before I kind of dropped off the map. I'm closing the door on my career with BMW, and I after five years with the brand, I have to let everyone know, BJ was right. We may have joked about it, and pretended that it's not true, but it is. The majority of BMW owners drive them for the status that it brings. They could care less about driving dynamics or how well the car goes into a corner, or how well it does on a track. All they care about is that badge on the back of the car, and the status that it brings them. It doesn't have to be anything too fancy, either. A 3 or 4 series does just as much as a 6 or 7 series. The 'enthusiast' is few and far between. We make up such a small percentage of the market, that I don't think we even count.

BJ, you were right. Everything you said was spot on. Not sure if you'll see this, but everything you said hit the nail right on the head. The majority of BMW buyers own these cars because of the status that it brings, and how it makes other people perceive them. I didn't want to admit it and I tried my best to deny it, but I can't anymore.

BJ, you were right.

·
2015 328x
1,655 Posts
Absolutely agree. Me I prefer the smaller 3. I absolutely love the way it handles on twistys. My daughter (25) would prefer not to drive with me because she gets nauseous when I am on some nice back roads. She also gets sick of me saying the same thing about the performance and handling on those roads. I certainly do not see any status in it and fail to see why others do. I mean it really is an obtainable car the way the leasing is set up. Everywhere I go I see BMW's.
The typical status drivers are evident sometimes under certain driving conditions. When you have an exceptional winding road with beautiful views and there is a BMW in front of you that is crawling and constantly hitting the brake...BINGO. I will lay of and hold back on them so I get some ground to "perform" on. Anyone near the Bear Mountain Bridge area in NY can confirm...the goat trail is sweet!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sure some buy BMWs for status. So what! why do people buy Rolls Royces or Bentleys? it sure ain't for the driving dynamics. yes, they've dummied down the car a little bit and made the ride more comfortable as they are appealing to a large cross section of camry, accord, and fusion owners who are upwardly mobile.

You want more performance? There is a model for that, the BMW M2, M4, M5, and M6 which are more cars than enthusiasts need. You want more performance from the 328 or 340? Mod it. For the vast majority of buyers the cars, especially the 3's, are appealing as is.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I doubt anybody's ever argued that enthusiasts aren't a very small fraction of modern BMW owners. BMW probably plans to continue drifting in the direction of MB and Lexus going forward. Nothing says "winning strategy" like profits, which BMW is collecting hand over fist.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hi everyone! Some of you may remember me from as being an old school 'Fester before I kind of dropped off the map. I'm closing the door on my career with BMW, and I after five years with the brand, I have to let everyone know, BJ was right. We may have joked about it, and pretended that it's not true, but it is. The majority of BMW owners drive them for the status that it brings. They could care less about driving dynamics or how well the car goes into a corner, or how well it does on a track. All they care about is that badge on the back of the car, and the status that it brings them. It doesn't have to be anything too fancy, either. A 3 or 4 series does just as much as a 6 or 7 series. The 'enthusiast' is few and far between. We make up such a small percentage of the market, that I don't think we even count.

BJ, you were right. Everything you said was spot on. Not sure if you'll see this, but everything you said hit the nail right on the head. The majority of BMW buyers own these cars because of the status that it brings, and how it makes other people perceive them. I didn't want to admit it and I tried my best to deny it, but I can't anymore.

BJ, you were right.
You are right, i was going to post a similar response to the "why BMW sells 320" thread. But it has been beaten to death already

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
He was right about most of what he said, but he maybe had a little too much fun poking the bear. I appreciated his perspective and miss talking with him.

My F10 lease ends on August 21st. It's going back and I am not re-upping; it was my 3rd BMW and it was a complete buzzkill.

With the possible exception of the F36, BMW doesn't make a car that excites me and that I can afford. I have 2 other cars. Both are old, but I plan to drive one of them for a while as I reconsider my approach to the car market. BMW is not the only enthusiast brand softening up these days, and I'm not even sure it's worthwhile to spend premium money on a car right now. My wife deserves something new anyway. She wants a Highlander. ;)

·
3,618 Posts
So what! why do people buy Rolls Royces or Bentleys? it sure ain't for the driving dynamics.
Have you ever spent time in one? The craftsmanship and the quality of the materials is on a completely different level. The cars are hand-built. Not worth the money to me, at all - but I do see how they are a different product.

Now - let's talk about people spending more than 80 large on a Cadillac Escalade.

·
2015 328x
1,655 Posts
Have you ever spent time in one? The craftsmanship and the quality of the materials is on a completely different level. The cars are hand-built. Not worth the money to me, at all - but I do see how they are a different product.

Now - let's talk about people spending more than 80 large on a Cadillac Escalade.
With the 25" rims no doubt.:rofl:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Anyone near the Bear Mountain Bridge area in NY can confirm...the goat trail is sweet!
Travel it quite often. There is also a nice road in the Harriman park, Arden Valley Road that will test out your cars cornering ability. I go to Watkins Glenn in the Spring and get a few laps in. Nice elevation changes, get to really see how well your car can handle.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The majority of BMW owners drive them for the status that it brings. They could care less about driving dynamics or how well the car goes into a corner, or how well it does on a track.

BJ, you were right.
Not true at all. Status buyers go for Mercedes or Lexus. BMW buyers do expect a better handling from their and usually care less about interior quality, noise, sound system, status, etc.
For sure only a small percentage of BMW owners track their cars but day to day handling is the most important reason for choosing a BMW. Cheap leases being the second main reason.

And please leave the 320 alone. A lighter, better handling car with a small efficient engine makes a lot of sense. A true enthusiast can very well chose 320 over 340 due to the handling advantage.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

If I had somebody to drive me around I'd get a Rolls or Bentley. But if I was driving I think the humongousness and massive weight would just give me anxiety and I'd end up calling an uber instead. Ditto the Escalade. Who drives those things???

·
2015 328x
1,655 Posts
Travel it quite often. There is also a nice road in the Harriman park, Arden Valley Road that will test out your cars cornering ability. I go to Watkins Glenn in the Spring and get a few laps in. Nice elevation changes, get to really see how well your car can handle.
I just Googled that road. I do believe that as a child our family took that same road to 7 lakes drive to lake Sebago. A blast from the past, Thanks! That Road, is indeed sweet looking. I would love it if no one was on it, otherwise I sit in my car complaining "why the he11 isn't anyone in front of me taking this road on?" If they were going slow it would annoy the heck out of me.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Maybe, but I sure didn't...

For me, ending up with a BMW was total accident. Sort of... I went looking for something with comfortable seats, could have been anything, sat in a 7 Series and was like, "THIS is it.". Unfortunately, it was a N63 7, and I ended up getting rid of it quickly as I lost faith that I could drive it for a few years with no issues. Of course, the only place that would give me a decent trade on it was a BMW dealership. That's when I was introduced to the 3 Series. At first, I swore I would never get a "3", but after the test drive, I was like, "Wow, that thing feels GREAT!", the accelertion is smooth, suspension divine, really nice interior, and I love the idrive! I was hooked...

·
3,618 Posts
If I had somebody to drive me around I'd get a Rolls or Bentley. But if I was driving I think the humongousness and massive weight would just give me anxiety and I'd end up calling an uber instead. Ditto the Escalade. Who drives those things???
I'm not quite sure. I live in one of those areas that shows up on all the richest counties lists*, and I see more Land Cruisers than Escalades. Another curiously expensive car, but evidently most of them will outlive the cockroach.

*which I think has more to do with the absence of any lower class more than everyone having ridiculous dough. It's all in how the average is calculated.

·
Registered
302 Posts
same road to 7 lakes drive to lake Sebago. A blast from the past, Thanks! That Road, is indeed sweet looking. I would love it if no one was on it, otherwise I sit in my car complaining "why the he11 isn't anyone in front of me taking this road on?" If they were going slow it would annoy the heck out of me.
I don't think it gets much traffic. I accidently discovered it when route 6 was backed up between the Palisades and route 17. Was not in my BMW at the time but coming in the opposite direction we saw a couple of hot motorcycles moving along pretty fast. The road is narrow and must be shut down in the winter as there are some heavy gates at the entrances that can block it off.

·
Registered
243 Posts

BJ, you were right.
I'll tell him LOL. Pretty sure it will make him smile.

Hey, can someone un-ban him? He's a great father, he bought me an E46 and just bought my mom an X5.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Me, I bought the highest mileage AWD wagon available in the USA. Tesla model x wasn't yet available and I couldn't afford it anyway.

I am sometimes a little embarrassed to drive a BMW, mostly because of the enthusiast bigotry I see in this forum. If BMW no longer meets your requirements by another car. It is a car, not an ideology.

·
Registered
13,005 Posts
The majority of BMW buyers own these cars because of the status that it brings, and how it makes other people perceive them. I didn't want to admit it and I tried my best to deny it, but I can't anymore.
The above statement also applies to any brand, like, Honda? :) The perceived image of a Honda can be different but the sentiment still applies.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Does anyone actually believe BMW drivers were all enthusiasts in the good old days? I drove my first BMW in mid-80s when the brand was seen much more as a status symbol than it is today.

P.S. I too think Bimmerfest lost something special when BJ was banned.

1 - 20 of 358 Posts