BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

At the request of my instructor friends, I am here to let you all know that the Fontana school is NOT full yet, spaces are still available, at $575.

They are using half oval and half road course, like the F-1 Indy configuration.

Now that they have taken care of the water situation for good, and me being in my pre-30 crisis mood, I am actually thinking of going so I can forget that I'll be turning 30 soon and got very little to show for...

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Not surprised that it's not full at $575. :(

I have since received THREE emails from Robyn with 2 attachments of the forms. Don't know what's the deal with that...

Stuka said:
Hi all,

At the request of my instructor friends, I am here to let you all know that the Fontana school is NOT full yet, spaces are still available, at $575.

They are using half oval and half road course, like the F-1 Indy configuration.

Now that they have taken care of the water situation for good, and me being in my pre-30 crisis mood, I am actually thinking of going so I can forget that I'll be turning 30 soon and got very little to show for...

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
I would go if it's the same price as the regular schools.

I WOULD go if I finish up a couple of freelance projects and get paid before hand.

As it stands right now, I can't afford to go...Joanne won't let me.

I wouldn't mind going to take pictures and scope out the track...maybe if they hold the event again next year I'll go.

Man, that long sweeping oval looks like a lot of fun.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
Stuka said:

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG
Traitor :mad: :banghead: Traitor :mad: :banghead: Traitor :mad: :banghead:

:angel:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The app

So anyway, here's the application. I'll try to go but I also corded my fronts after 3 schools :yikes: so I gotta get those replaced as well. I don't think I got that kind of dough at the moment...

So raffi, not to worry...

http://www.bmwclubla.org/forms/fontana-ds-app.pdf

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Raffi said:
HACK, love that pic. Can you please e-mail it to me? TIA.

Andy, I was shocked to read you might go after all the discussions we had! :yikes: :tsk:

:angel:
I'll send you the highrez tonight. All the rice girls are going to go crazy over you now Raffi!

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
Roadster Rules at School

As I read the rules for the school, a Roadster (M or Z3) would have to have rollbars and a 5 point harness.

1. Do the stock rollbars on the later model M Roadsters or Z3's qualify for this event?

2. Five point harness? Makes this even more expensive for a "school" event that explicitly does not involve competition... is this correct?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Roadster Rules at School

phrider said:
As I read the rules for the school, a Roadster (M or Z3) would have to have rollbars and a 5 point harness.

1. Do the stock rollbars on the later model M Roadsters or Z3's qualify for this event?

2. Five point harness? Makes this even more expensive for a "school" event that explicitly does not involve competition... is this correct?
Rules vary from chapter to chapter, and from orgainzer to organizer. I know Driving Concepts allow roadsters and convertibles without "rollbars".

The "rollbars" they refer to are actually large roll cages that is suppose to extend over the top of your head with helmet on. One way they measure it is by puttin a broom on the top of the windshield and resting against the top of the rollbars, and if your head plus helmet touches the broom your car will be disqualified.

I think BMWCCA Schools are rather strict when it comes to the roadsters, because at track speeds, a simple roll-over will mean your live in a roadster.

·
1,687 Posts
Thanks for the quick follow up. This is does not sound like the right school for me right now.

I need something more basic -- perhaps not even using my car (an M Roadster).

Any suggestions?

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I'm going to try a . . .

a Derek Daly 2 day GT class in Las Vegas. They use Z3s with roll cages and Dinan upgraded suspension. Not as many ponies as an M roadster, but same platform, so the knowledge should transfer.

Cheap - not (about $1700 for the 2 day) - however if a class is not full, through racingschools.com you can do u-bid and get a pretty good discount. I'm going to try for the August 22-23 (Th-Fri). Will be awfully hot, but I need to lose a few pounds :)

Anyway, since I really don't want to track my car for now, I think it will be a great way to get some skills while using their cars.

·
1,687 Posts
Re: I'm going to try a . . .

scottn2retro said:
however if a class is not full, through racingschools.com you can do u-bid and get a pretty good discount. I'm going to try for the August 22-23 (Th-Fri). Will be awfully hot, but I need to lose a few pounds :)
Let's make sure we aren't bidding against each other....

I've had my eye on that one for awhile. Any idea of what skill level they assume?

And I, too, could use the Vegas sauna treatment.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Plaz said:
I just registered for the Fontana school... would be great if a couple of you other 'festers were there!
I think Raffi's looking into Corner work in exchange for track time...I might do the same and bring my camera. The track workers has the best angles for good photography.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.