BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ågent99 said:
I do! :) I can't handle beer with every meal.... :)
Couple of questions regarding food:

Can anyone recommend some good, reasonably priced restaurants in Munich?

Is beer or any other alcohol fairly expensive?

Just trying to plan my budget......

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
RichReg said:

We went to the Stengelhof Stengelstrasse 2 Munich we went there a few times while in Munich. Its a local restaurant and the food is very good along with the beer.The food and beer for the 2 of us was under 40 euros.Its about a 10 minute walk from the Marriot.Good luck
cheers
vern

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Not sure about what you are asking, but I do know, that if you do visit a fast food place, they dont give you ice in your drinks, and you have to pay for individual ketchup and mayo packets. crazy!!

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
ljh824 said:
Not sure about what you are asking, but I do know, that if you do visit a fast food place, they dont give you ice in your drinks, and you have to pay for individual ketchup and mayo packets. crazy!!
It's actually the opposite. I always have to tell them to remove the ice.

As for food budget, it depends on what you are looking. In fast food restaurants (such as McDonald's, Burger King or Subway), you can get a burger for 1 Euro ($1.29), a menu with fries and Coke for something like 4 Euros ($5.20)

And there are pubs offering local food. You can get one course with a glass of beer for around 6-7 Euro ($7.80-$9.10)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
It's actually the opposite. I always have to tell them to remove the ice.

As for food budget, it depends on what you are looking. In fast food restaurants (such as McDonald's, Burger King or Subway), you can get a burger for 1 Euro ($1.29), a menu with fries and Coke for something like 4 Euros ($5.20)

And there are pubs offering local food. You can get one course with a glass of beer for around 6-7 Euro ($7.80-$9.10)
Really? I went to the McDonalds in downtown Boeblingen and they never put ice in my cup, I had to ask for it. Maybe they didn't like me.

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
RichReg said:

Beer is actually a bit cheaper than soft drinks. I always asked for tap water or else they give you bottled water and charge you. I never spent less than $50 for lunch in Nice and VilleFranche. In Lake Como we had the best Italian food for fairly cheap. In Munich we ate near Marientplatz and spent a bit over $200 for 5 and the food was nothing to brag about but I guess that is a tourist trap area. My mind set when I travel to Europe is that I will spend in food close to what Hotel and airfare costs for the trip. Specially since I don't hit fast food places. I don't mind spending the cash as long as the food is good and typical to that country. :thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dont' forget that the tip is already included in the bill. No need to tip 15-20% like in the U.S. Just round up the cents. That might save you a couple of euros/meal.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
We are building our house this year so no vacation, but next summer, we may hit Germany again. Can't wait.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank you! Thank you all for your feedback!

My car has finally been OFFICIALLY confirmed yesterday by the BMW European delivery department as obtainable at any time on May 25th (I was worried as I am arriving @ 10:15 AM).

Yamilrx; Since I do expect to be eating out, I will not mind spending money, I am just looking for places that have a reputation for good food without being too far above average in price. I will DEFINITELY be missing the fact that I won't be eating in Italy this time around (which can be VERY reasonably priced AND delicious), as Sicily is usually where I visit in Europe to see my relatives. But I am glad to hear that beer is less expensive, as I plan to bring some soda along for occasional refreshment and then get drunk :bigpimp: everytime I eat out. (if only slightly)

Alex; For an occasional lunch (as I hear the breakfasts in the Hotel Uhland are quite filling), I think a local pub will do fine. Any favorites?

vern; The Stengelhof sounds like I should visit at least once. Is it far from the Hotel Uhland? I would assume I could take the train (U-Bahn or S-Bahn?) or drive, if necessary.

As for the rest, I do hate too much ice in my drinks but, I assume if I always order a beer I won't have that problem. The Hotal Uhland E-mailed me & told me they would make a list of interesting attractions that will be available to see on May 27th & forward. Hopefully, the good ones will be open for business.

Muchas gracias, Amigos! :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
For Munich, any of the breweries will provide good/great food at a reasonable price - a few names include Augustiner, Hacker-Pschorr, Löwenbraü, Franziskaner. At any of these places, you can expect to get a tasty dinner in the 12€ to 20€ range plus a half liter of beer in the 5€ range or a quarter liter soda in the 3€ range. This includes the majority of the tip (germans typically round the bill to the nearest whole € - e.g. bill =28.50€, I'd pay 29€ [ for larger bills of 100€+, round to the nearest 5€]).

I've always said that prepared foods in Germany are really inexpensive - in small town Germany, you can visit a Gasthaus for dinner and a beer for 12 to 15€. Even with the unfavorable exchange rate, that is still cheaper than eating out in most places here in America, especially once you include the 20 to 25% in tip and tax.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gesoffen said:
For Munich, any of the breweries will provide good/great food at a reasonable price - a few names include Augustiner, Hacker-Pschorr, Löwenbraü, Franziskaner. At any of these places, you can expect to get a tasty dinner in the 12€ to 20€ range plus a half liter of beer in the 5€ range or a quarter liter soda in the 3€ range. This includes the majority of the tip (germans typically round the bill to the nearest whole € - e.g. bill =28.50€, I'd pay 29€ [ for larger bills of 100€+, round to the nearest 5€]).

I've always said that prepared foods in Germany are really inexpensive - in small town Germany, you can visit a Gasthaus for dinner and a beer for 12 to 15€. Even with the unfavorable exchange rate, that is still cheaper than eating out in most places here in America, especially once you include the 20 to 25% in tip and tax.
Thanks, gesoffen. I assume by brewery you are referring to a local pub as was mentioned by Alex. I will keep this in mind.
:)

·
2,457 Posts
RichReg said:
Thanks, gesoffen. I assume by brewery you are referring to a local pub as was mentioned by Alex. I will keep this in mind.
:)
Actually, most towns do have local breweries, and they often have excellent food, that's priced right. As far as what brands of beer to get, I always get the local brewery brews, and since it's warm, I'll likely stick with hefeweizens, or an occasional pilzen. If you'd like something light, or occasionally like lemon in your beer, they also usually offer half lemonade/half beer mixes. IIRC, they are called Sprüdel. They are pretty refreshing, but you really can't drink them all night.

·
ZHPper
2,126 Posts
RichReg said:

Like everybody said...all the local beer halls offer good cheap food. Don't do the American fast food places, that is stupid in the US and even dumber in Europe. The nicer restaurants can hit you pretty hard for a beer, so go to the really local bars or buy some in the grocery stores and drink in your room. A 6 pack of Spaten 1/2 liters costs E3.00 at a store or gas station. (The Nazis took the tax off beer in the 20's and it's stayed that way, so beer is cheap) We always found a deli and loaded up on cheese, brot and cold cuts every morning and stopped somewhere out in the countryside for lunch...that's the way to go! Eat across the street from the Hofbrauhaus, there are at least 3 bars which are excellent. Oh yeah, liquor is usually very expensive (It is taxed)

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
RichReg said:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank you! Thank you all for your feedback!

My car has finally been OFFICIALLY confirmed yesterday by the BMW European delivery department as obtainable at any time on May 25th (I was worried as I am arriving @ 10:15 AM).

Yamilrx; Since I do expect to be eating out, I will not mind spending money, I am just looking for places that have a reputation for good food without being too far above average in price. I will DEFINITELY be missing the fact that I won't be eating in Italy this time around (which can be VERY reasonably priced AND delicious), as Sicily is usually where I visit in Europe to see my relatives. But I am glad to hear that beer is less expensive, as I plan to bring some soda along for occasional refreshment and then get drunk :bigpimp: everytime I eat out. (if only slightly)

Alex; For an occasional lunch (as I hear the breakfasts in the Hotel Uhland are quite filling), I think a local pub will do fine. Any favorites?

vern; The Stengelhof sounds like I should visit at least once. Is it far from the Hotel Uhland? I would assume I could take the train (U-Bahn or S-Bahn?) or drive, if necessary.

As for the rest, I do hate too much ice in my drinks but, I assume if I always order a beer I won't have that problem. The Hotal Uhland E-mailed me & told me they would make a list of interesting attractions that will be available to see on May 27th & forward. Hopefully, the good ones will be open for business.

Muchas gracias, Amigos! :)
Rich
From Marienplatz take the U6 to Nordfriedhof (approx 5 stops) Pub is on the corner of Ungerer & Stengelstrasse which is two blocks down from the U6 stop. Found an old receipt and goulasch was 9.60 and Wienerschnitzel 12.00 and a few beers came to 36.80 euros. Well worth it. The beergarden should be open by the time you get there.PS Spaten is the greatest beer. Since we came back I found a liquor store that caries it for $8.00 a six pack. Enjoy
Cheers
vern

·
Registered
46 Posts
Man, those prices will be difficult to get used to... I'm looking forward to going to Europe this year, but I'm not looking forward to paying for food.

In contrast on my last trip, Egypt, I think I barely spent $100 over the entire 3 weeks for food. A cheap, good lunch could cost $.85. My brother and I got a lovely dinner cruise, with a belly dancing show for about $30 for both of us.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bjacques said:
Man, those prices will be difficult to get used to... I'm looking forward to going to Europe this year, but I'm not looking forward to paying for food.

In contrast on my last trip, Egypt, I think I barely spent $100 over the entire 3 weeks for food. A cheap, good lunch could cost $.85. My brother and I got a lovely dinner cruise, with a belly dancing show for about $30 for both of us.
Yes, the Euro is truly "flying high", but I'm sure I'll survive financially. At the very least, you can understand the reason for my post. :D

Vern; thanks for the directions!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts