BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Bought my first BMW (a CPO 2005 X3 with sports package) and loving it so far as far as the ride is concerned.
I was never given the car key programmable options list by them and yet I gave them a list of what I wanted by reading an online version of owner's manual. Sadly the footwell flap option was not in manual. I feel that there is no air circulation in footwell in auto mode when I set the temperature low (18 deg C for example). So I did a bit of research and found that this is a programmable option. Took it to dealer and they say changing it will not make any difference ("me: are you sure?" "service advisor: 3 million % sure" "me: well then what is that option for?" "service advisor: its there but changing it won't make any difference") Now I already have the problem of perspiration on feet and would like some cold air there, putting it into manual mode just defeats the purpose of having automatic climate control. Can someone confirm to me please what exactly this function do? I read in a post by BMW_TECH that it closes the footwell flap by default when A/C is tuned on? If thats true I would want to get it deactivated but would appreciate if someone can point me where its officially described. Thanks.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
By default when you turn the automatic climate to cool the vehicle down, most if not all of the air will be blown through the face/dash vents. The footwell vents are primarily used to blow heat, either in cold weather or sometimes in conjunction with the cooler face vents to maintain a moderate temperature in cooler weather.

You can override thus by pushing any combination of air direction vents on the left side of the climate control. I believe the foot one is the bottom-most one, with an arrow pointing down.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AzNMpower32 for the answer. Thats precisely what the default behavior of climate control is. I want to know what happens when I activate the "Vents: footwell flap open" option? Will there always be airflow in footwell then or there will be no difference at all.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I could see where the that could come in handy with a manual. Congrats on the purchase

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Thanks AzNMpower32 for the answer. Thats precisely what the default behavior of climate control is. I want to know what happens when I activate the "Vents: footwell flap open" option? Will there always be airflow in footwell then or there will be no difference at all.
My guess is that if anything, it will make things worse. In the "open" mode, I think it will only open the footwell vents for heat or when you manually select it. I doubt that setting it to "open" will actually permanently leave it open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts