BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Footwell module (aka FRM) warranty extended to 156k miles

33083 Views 41 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  hsindogg
Just saw this which my be valuable info to some. Looks like FRM module warranty has been extended to 156k miles.

If you've paid for the repair out of pocket and can prove it, go to www.bmw-rp.com to fill out the reimbursement form.

SI B01 20 16
Warranties August 2018
Technical Service
FOOTWELL MODULE (FRM): LIMITED WARRANTY EXTENSION INCREASED TO 10 YEARS/156,000 MILES
New information provided by this revision is preceded by this symbol .

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B01 20 16 dated August 2016
What's New:

• The footwell module (FRM) extended limited warranty has been increased to 10 years/156,000 miles.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Question: when the frn fails one loses side blinkers, headlights, window control.
In this case the car is unsafe to drive....

So does this extended warranty include coverage of a tow to their facility? It should but I'm not sure..?
doubtful...
when this happened to me:
headlights should default to on
tail lights default to on
brake lights still worked
if you can't get the window down, then i suppose you can not use hand signals, but no one expects someone in a BMW to use their turn signals anyways.
Question: when the frn fails one loses side blinkers, headlights, window control.
In this case the car is unsafe to drive....

So does this extended warranty include coverage of a tow to their facility? It should but I'm not sure..?
I recently found that my 2013 X5 35i with 63k miles has this code as well. I was wondering what it was and will now follow this thread to gain more information. I'm under the mileage and years for the warranty, but dread taking my vehicle to the crooked stealership as unexplained things happen upon leaving. One example is dripping pools of oil all over the garage floor the next morning after servicing, because the mechanic decides to loosen some bolts to get me to come back, true story.
What codes? None mentioned on this thread...

Dealers suck. Everyone who's been here for a while knows that. Shouldn't be but it's reality. They just get you with the glitzy waiting room, the new cars all around, the coffee, and there used to be one guy here who would boast about pigging out on inhaling what seemed like 4,000 worth of BMW of SF donut calories when taking his car in for service, all the while belittling folks with 18 inch wheels as having 'poverty donuts' compared to his 20's. What happened to him anyway?
I recently found that my 2013 X5 35i with 63k miles has this code as well. I was wondering what it was and will now follow this thread to gain more information. I'm under the mileage and years for the warranty, but dread taking my vehicle to the crooked stealership as unexplained things happen upon leaving. One example is dripping pools of oil all over the garage floor the next morning after servicing, because the mechanic decides to loosen some bolts to get me to come back, true story.
Here is the code that came up with a reference to FRM:

009CC1 - FRM: stepping-motor controller (SMC), left, signalling fault
That is a failure your FRM is responsible for reporting.
The covered failure of the FRM is of electronic catastrophic nature (within the module) resulting in a failure mode where have no control of headlights or windows.
Here is the code that came up with a reference to FRM:

009CC1 - FRM: stepping-motor controller (SMC), left, signalling fault
Interesting, because whenever the automatic setting on the headlights is used a warning pops up saying the adaptive headlight are not working. But when the vehicle is switched off (which resets the warning indication) and you use the normal headlight setting all the way turned to the right the warning does not appear. Is this related to FRM warranty issue?
That is a failure your FRM is responsible for reporting.
The covered failure of the FRM is of electronic catastrophic nature (within the module) resulting in a failure mode where have no control of headlights or windows.
All headlight processing circuitry is in the FRM (referring to BMW IPO protocol/topology).

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...ng/automatic-headlight-beam-throw-adjustment/
FRM Module extended warranty

Hi, can anyone shre me the file BMW has for the additional two years extended warranty for the FRM module? I have the exact case right now in which they said my warranty just expired last August. They did a scan on my vehicle and fried the FRM now they want me to pay $1300 to have it fix.
is it possible you have a 2008 and the 10 year warranty really did expire?

WHen you pressed them "there is a 10 year warranty on the FRM, could you please verify with BMW', what did they say?

When you called BMWNA, what did they say?

Sometimes the US and CA have differnt warranties- so what we see in the US may not help. But importantly you do not need 'the paper' or 'the file' to press your issue. Just need to find an SA who isnt a liar, idiot or thief.
Hi, can anyone shre me the file BMW has for the additional two years extended warranty for the FRM module? I have the exact case right now in which they said my warranty just expired last August. They did a scan on my vehicle and fried the FRM now they want me to pay $1300 to have it fix.
I have a 2011 BMW and they said it has only 8 years extended warranty and expired last August, so I was hoping my BMW qualifies with that additional 2 years extended warranty. I called BMW NA and they said My BMW does not have that warranty anymore and they cannot do anythinh about this issue, so I am left with no choice on paying the damaged FRM which in fact they damaged not my fault.....
Is there a way I can see what are the warranties I still have for my specific vehicle? Any website?
08/2011 + 00/0008 = 08/20(11+8) = 08/2019

If indeed August is the month of your in-service date.
I have a 2011 BMW and they said it has only 8 years extended warranty and expired last August,
They said according to record August 2010 was my in service date. Still confused because my X5 is a 2011 model. But I was not the first owner so maybe it was manufactured August 2010??
I believe that warranty limitations run from in-service date, NOT date of manufacture.

Otherwise they could save a heap of warranty costs with long shipping delays.
They said according to record August 2010 was my in service date. Still confused because my X5 is a 2011 model. But I was not the first owner so maybe it was manufactured August 2010??
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.