BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oh yeah, she's my baby...
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jon,

Sorry if I seem to be putting you on the spot but I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on something.

I ordered a 2002 330Ci and it has arrived. My dealership and I are at odds on the figures. They are offering me $500 off MSRP and 22k for my trade which is a '99 328i. My 328 has less than 40k miles and is in good condition. They said the reason they could only go 22k on my trade is due to the cost of performing the CPO. They said as part of the CPO they would have to replace two of my wheels, put on new back brakes, put on new tires so all five, including the spare, match, fix any scratches and a few other things I can't remember. Also they said they had to pay BMW some sort of fee for the CPO. So to CPO the car it looks like they'll have to dump $2500+ into the car. I figured my car was worth around $24k based on all the different sites like KBB, NADA, etc... I realize that the dealer is in the business to make money and didn't expect to get as much as I would if I sold it myself but I thought I could expect more than $22k.

Anyway, based on your experience is this in the ballpark as far as the asking price for the new car and their offer for my trade?
Thanks.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
apar328i said:
I ordered a 2002 330Ci and it has arrived. My dealership and I are at odds on the figures. They are offering me $500 off MSRP and 22k for my trade which is a '99 328i.
You ordered the car without first negotiating the price and the trade in??????? Those should have been done BEFORE the deal was closed so they can't play any tricks on you when you take delivery. You may not have a leg to stand on now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually...

In researching buying a new car/trading in your old...the consensus is to in fact negotiate the purchase of the new car before talking trade-in value etc...You can always use it as a "deal-breaker"...Although probably harder to do with a BMW because who wants break the deal and wait even longer for their new bimmer!! :D
just my 2 cents....not trying to start a heated discussion! :thumbup:

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Re: Re: ?? for Jon Shafer

operknockity said:

You ordered the car without first negotiating the price and the trade in??????? Those should have been done BEFORE the deal was closed so they can't play any tricks on you when you take delivery. You may not have a leg to stand on now.
No dealer is his right mind is going to commit to a trade-in appraisal 30-60+ days before he's going to actually take possession of the car.

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
Re: Re: Re: ?? for Jon Shafer

Cliff3 said:

No dealer is his right mind is going to commit to a trade-in appraisal 30-60+ days before he's going to actually take possession of the car.
I beg to differ.

When I bought my 323, all negotiation including the trade in value of my previous car, were set at the time I placed the order and put down my diposit.

6 weeks later when my new baby arrived, I wrote the check, signed the papers, inspected the car, swapped keys with the dealer, and drove away with a HUGE silly grin on my face.:thumbup:

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,590 Posts
Everyone who has already posted a response makes a good
point. At this stage, you are kinda of stuck with just a couple
of options... You can continue to negotiate, "retail out of" your
trade yourself, or perhaps even seek bids from other dealers
for your current vehicle. CPO sales are strong right now;
your dealer might just be "heavy" on inventory, hence
a weaker "bid-to-buy proposal"...

In general, it is very tough to define an exact trade-in value
when custom-ordering your new BMW from the factory.
The Blue Book value drops every 60 days... As was
pointed out, dealers are reluctant to commit that
far in advance. Always be prepared to sell it yourself
in order to maximize the price / mitigate your "damages"....

Good luck and best regards,
--Jon

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: ?? for Jon Shafer

Desertnate said:

I beg to differ.

When I bought my 323, all negotiation including the trade in value of my previous car, were set at the time I placed the order and put down my diposit.
Over the past 20 years of car buying, that has never been my experience. It wasn't this time either. :dunno:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: ?? for Jon Shafer

Desertnate said:

I beg to differ.

6 weeks later when my new baby arrived, I wrote the check, signed the papers, inspected the car, swapped keys with the dealer, and drove away with a HUGE silly grin on my face.:thumbup:
Same here from my experience last year.

My trade in value was set on 11/10/01 at ~ $500 over Edmunds TMV with stipulation of maximum mileage it could have on it when delivery took place. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least (especially since I been prepared to except 1k less than what was offered :D ). I might have got lucky, but since I had done business with there Honda franchise for 10 years it did help my situation IMO.

The other dealer I shopped would not commit to any kind of pricing so I moved on (they were also $750 higher on the wagon price).

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Re: Re: Re: ?? for Jon Shafer

Cliff3 said:
There are two issues. The first is that he should have negotiated the price on the new car before the order went in. The dealer has the upper hand if you wait until delivery time to try and haggle.

Second is regarding the trade-in. The dealer may not want to give a firm commitment on it when delivery will be months away, but at least he can give an estimated range of what he is likely to give. Then it's up to you on how to interpret the numbers.

But failing to get the new car negotiated up front is the real killer here.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
I got a trade in quote close to three months before delivery of a BMW four years ago. When the car arrived, the dealersnip manager realized the foul up the salesman did with setting the trade in value too far in advance without taking into consideration the depreciation of my trade in those three months.

Long story short, I drove away with my 323i convertible with $200 less in my pocket after two hours of crap by the manager of why he cannot give me the value stated in the contract of my trade. I think that I really saved around $2000 in trade in value plus an MSRP discount of $1700...

Sometimes hell is closer than what you think for some people...

·
Oh yeah, she's my baby...
6,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for all your replies. I feel like a complete IDIOT! :banghead: One thing I'll say is that I wasn't trying to get them to commit to a trade-in price two months early. I knew I was going to take somewhat of a beating on the trade and I was prepared for that. I guess I lent too much creedence in the guidelines established by KBB, Edmunds and NADA. Additionally I guess I was thinking that since I was a return customer they would do me better. I guess not. This was so much easier when the dealer had no haggle pricing. They have since changed to full haggling, if you can call it that. I haggled then down a full $500. Well, I learned my lesson, fortunately all it cost me was a little bit of my time. I guess I'll be keeping my 328i for awhile longer. Hell, I could do a lot worse. At least I still have a BMW. I think I'll ponder what to do next, we have another BMW dealer in town. Maybe I'll give them a shot, using a different approach of course. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.