BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
That's a little off topic but yeah my new sport seats came heated and I thought that maybe I would be able to do something about it but no such luck. It's not like I really care about this feature here in California. I still have to go to the dealer to get this damn airbag light off. I almost got used to it by now...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: It's being looked into . . .

scottn2retro said:
The person I was helping has heaters in the new seats as well. It appears that all the Z cars had the wiring in the harness, just not in the seats (could it be the same for 3 series?).

She'll be asking around about how to implement it, but it sounds like someone has done it before. I believe there is a relay that has to be installed in the under-hood fuse box, but just how the installation of the switches has to go is unknown to me (are there already connectors in the harness ready to plug and play?).

Anyway, for the Z, we'll be looking into that and see if it can be implemented. :)
No connectors in the harness. It appears that there is a whole separate connector needed to plug in the heating function that simply is not there if you do not order heaters. Seems like a weird thing for BMW to do this. Usually cars are pretty much made to one specifications (that is they just put a damn wire anyway since it doesn't cost them anything) and options are kind of "plug and play." Just makes it easier for the production runs. It shows that all German management is comprised of engineers...
Let us know how it goes in the Z.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.