BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Whatever you do, do not throw it down the drain or in the trash. If you put it in the drain, it contaminates our sewage system which eventually goes to the ocean. If you dump it in the trash, it'll eventually seep into groundwater.

Bottle it up and take it to your local gas station, mechanic, or some auto parts stores take it.

Have fun and protect our environment!

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Its irresponsible to dump used oil.

In California, at least, its mandatory for places like Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, etc. to take your used oil at no charge. I'll collect 2 or 3 gallons at a time and take em out to Pep Boys to drain em.

G

·
Where I live, there is a county-run waste transfer and recycling center within a few miles. They accept used oil.

When you drain your oil, use an oil catch basin like you can find at Pep Boyz, etc that doubles as a cannister that you can transport the oil with. Mine will hold the oil from two changes before it is full and needs to be emptied.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
TD said:
Where I live, there is a county-run waste transfer and recycling center within a few miles. They accept used oil.
Many cities have this as well, though with the program here in this state many of them will only accept paint and other household chemicals, and will want you to take auto fluids and car batteries to an automotive place. I know Sears Auto Centers have had a car battery turn-in program for many years.

Other types of rechargeable batteries are accepted at places like Radio Shack that participate in the RBRC program.

I'm far from a treehugger but there are certain things that we need to be responsible for.

G

·
///Mathew said:
ok, thanks guys.

Ive always wanted to change my own oil, and ive got a long weekend coming up so ill have some free time to do this. I wasnt sure what to do with the excess
A lot of time is not required. 20-30 minutes ought to do it.

·
hockey-holic
322 Posts
Our curbside recycling program takes used oil but it has to be in their containers. Sometimes it's just easier for me to stop by Pepboys or Jiffylube and dump the oil there.

Bob

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Regarding oil disposal in Florida.
Under Florida Statute 403.751, State law prohibits:

disposing used oil into sewers, drainage systems, septic tanks,

disposing used oil into any surface water or groundwater, including marine waters,

disposing used oil in a landfill,

mixing used oil with solid waste that is intended for disposal in a landfill,

mixing used oil with hazardous waste so that the oil is unsuitable for recycling,

common historical practices, such as oiling roads, dust control, weed abatement or other similar activities which would release used oil into the environment.

What methods for disposing of used oil are permitted?
The best way to dispose of used oil is to present it for recycling. Certain service stations, auto parts stores, and other automotive businesses collect used oil for recycling. Some local governments maintain collection centers; others offer curbside collection.

Note: Most counties in Florida maintain a waste oil collection facility which will accept used oil and hydraulic fluid. Contact your County Landfill Operation for the nearest location of such a facility.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
I used to sometimes change my own oil in my last car, but getting underneath it to the drain plug was much easier than with the BMW and did not require jacking up the car.

Because it is not as easy on the BMW, I'm going to be using an oil extractor via the dip stick tube. As we found at the last HACK tech session, the extractor will get all but about 200 milliliters of the oil out, and is much easier/cleaner to deal with.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
There was a joke (do not try this) at the ORG that someone used to pour it down their kitchen drain. They claimed it lubricated the disposal!

:dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Emission said:
There was a joke (do not try this) at the ORG that someone used to pour it down their kitchen drain. They claimed it lubricated the disposal!

:dunno:
Oh that PVT JOKER!

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
The HACK said:

Oh that PVT JOKER!
That used to kill me when he would tell people what to do with their old oil.

Hack, we missed you on Saturday!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
FWIW, Walmart also takes used oil (probably only if they have auto services at the franchise) for no charge. I have an old 5 gallon hydraulic oil bucket (aka pickle barrel) that I have to dump every 4 months or so.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
I have got to ask, what happens to our oil when we give it to a disposal or recycle center?

I know they don’t just clean it up and rebottle it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.