BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever been able to get BMW to replace brakes / rotors under the maintenance plan? My guess is that it will throw a red flag to them when they see the amount of wear in such a short period of time. Just curious...

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
No I haven't, nor have I tried. The dealer won't replace the pads until the light comes on and less than a certain amount of pad is left. You never want to be on the track with anywhere near that little pad - most places won't let you on the track with less than 50%, and many want (and I recommend) new/almost new pads.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't, nor have I tried. The dealer won't replace the pads until the light comes on and less than a certain amount of pad is left. You never want to be on the track with anywhere near that little pad - most places won't let you on the track with less than 50%, and many want (and I recommend) new/almost new pads.
Right. I understand that. But what about rotors?

·
In a ton of debt...
1,837 Posts
Have you ever been able to get BMW to replace brakes / rotors under the maintenance plan?
Yes

My guess is that it will throw a red flag to them when they see the amount of wear in such a short period of time.
The wear indicator light is on, they measure the thickness of the rotors and pads. If it's below spec, they change it and get reimbursed by BMW for performing the service. They don't care how you get there.

·
Analyst + Therapist = ...
8,102 Posts
I have a feeling you'll have much more than that to worry about after your track experience :rofl:

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
I've had the opposite thing happen - in their eagerness to please, they replaced the Axxis Ultimate (high performance street) front pads on the car a little too early.

Didn't mind that, I would have replaced them anyway with another set of Axxis - but they put the OEM pads in there, which I then had to swap out. Wish they had called me before going the extra mile... :)

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
You will destroy your tires much quicker than you go through brakes.

To answer your question, BMW will replace pads and rotors that are worn out - regardless of how you did it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will destroy your tires much quicker than you go through brakes.

To answer your question, BMW will replace pads and rotors that are worn out - regardless of how you did it.
That's great. Honestly, I fully expected to have to pay for brakes myself, but if BMW will pick up the tab...all the better!

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Keep in mind, track-worn rotors and pads are quite obvious. If you abuse the system (new rotors and pads every three months) your Service Advisor is sure to "have a word" with you about it. :thumbup:

This is an old pic (2001) I took of my wheel/brakes after a track run. The abused rotors show obvious track use!

Attachments

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
A better pic of the wasted rotor with pad material burned into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep...no argument here. They will definitely show the wear. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed the first time I take it to the dealer for brakes :)

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Trivia: Can you tell which wheel this is? Front, rear, left, or right? How? :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trivia: Can you tell which wheel this is? Front, rear, left, or right? How? :)
Passenger side front? 225/45 is front fitment. And the directional arrows appear to be going clockwise. That's my CSI analysis for the week :)

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Passenger side front? 225/45 is front fitment. And the directional arrows appear to be going clockwise. That's my CSI analysis for the week :)
Right front.

Clues:

Tire size of 225/45 (front wheels)
Dust behind the valve stem indicated clockwise rotation (right side)
Sunshine to the right of the tire (confirms the front right)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts