BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Smuggled into the 'Fest
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey festers, my car just keeps dying. :mad: Today I lost 1st gear in traffic. Reverse works and I'm assuming I have forward gears other than 1st. Is there anyway to modify the DME or valvebody assembly to force the car to start off in 2nd just to limp it until I get a G260? I have a 4HP22/M20B25 if that helps... :dunno:

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Test your vb's solenoids first. Test resistances through the tcm's harness. One could be gone. You'll just have to replace that. Its alot of work of course but its not expensive used good solenoids will run you $30-$40 max.

There's no way to rewire the tcm to start off in second gear. Unless we invent it...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Did this issuse just pop up?
You have a kickdown cable type tranmission, no way to make it start in second gear.
Like i mentioned before there needs to be a .5mm (.020") gap between the end of the threaded liner & crimped aluminium stop on the cable.
To tight quicker up shifts to loose slower up shifts.
Don't think its the transmission mine wouldn't change to second till the transmission did about 200m. Then it was fine untill it cooled down again, never got any better or worse for 4 yrs when i replaced it.
Were you driving it hard because you may have snapped the cable. Not much holding it on in the transmission here's a pick of my spare. You can see the part that needs the gap & the crimped on knuckle in the transmisssion. Is the cable slack if you pull it by hand?

Attachments

·
Smuggled into the 'Fest
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get back to both of you tomorrow, long day at my new job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts