BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed my jet black car in the sun yesterday! :)

However, I ended up with a spotless finish!

Here's how:

"Cooled" each surface with a straight hose of water, beginning at the top. After cooling each panel, I washed it (Griots Car wash with alittle BOS wax per Griots catalog suggestion) and then rinse it immediately.

Then grabbed the california water blade and wiped the excess water off, touched up whats left with Chamois.

Continued to do this on each panel.

Did the wheels last.

Came out excellent!

I might add, using Griots suggestion of 1 part of BOS wax with 3 parts Car wash does something unique with the CWB, it significantly reduced the 'chattering' of the CWB when pulling excess water off. :thumbup:

I then pulled the now washed and dried car into the garage and let the surfaces cool again (they heat up damn fast in sunlite) and then used a quick detail.

:thumbup:

·
5,820 Posts
Never, ever do that again! You should be ashamed of yourself. What, you couldn't wait 'till the sun went down? That's what you get for having a CARPETED garage! How compulsive can you be? Sheesh! ;)

:D

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey I was just about to do a Turtle wax test to see if Daves theory is right! :D (j/k)

John, answer to the question: No. Because the car is already waxed, hard to tell...now if I Dawned it, clayed it, then washed it like this, that would be the best over all test.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I committed this sin as well ths past weekend- but it was on my dad's car-- I offered to detail it for him for father's day. Due to timing, I ended up washing it in the midday sun-- but used a similar procedure to what Ripsnort described. A lttle quick detailer helped me remove the water spots, and it actually turned out quite well! Not that I'd ever want to do that again...

·
Registered
848 Posts
atyclb said:

no, a Boar's Hair Brush!! :eeps: :eeps: :eeps:
Hey you guys rip on the Boars Hair brush, but it has never failed me.

Here's my test. I can't use the factory finish as the basis for the test because the lot guys have been dragging their dirty rags across the car week after week during their daily wash.

So back in December a guy was generous enough to rear end my car. No physical damage other than scuffing the paint. Consquently I took the car in to be painted. The paint shop did an excellent job. Better than the factory because they must have color sanded the color or the clear because there is absolutly no orange peel in the paint.

So this gave me a PERFECT test panel to use to evaluate the boars hair brush. To this day, litterally 6 months after the repaint, I have yet to see significant scratches from the brush in the freshly painted panel.

The reality is I wash my car weekly so I don't get a build up of dirt to scratch the paint, regardless of what tool I am using to wash it.

I also have a Chanile wash sponge and am more afraid of using it for fear of grit getting caught in the chanile and being dragged across the paint. Atleast if grit gets in the brush it will work it's way loose through the hairs as you move it along.

OK call me a nut, but that's my story!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
More in defence of the boar's hair brush...

I washed my yellow car today. The car had tire dressing that flung off the tires on to the side of the car. The boar's hair brush doesn't even have enough abrasive qualities to remove the dressing that flung on to the car. I had to use the chanile sponge to get the dressing off. Of course 1 pass with the chanile sponge and it was off.

So help me with my ignorance, how could a brush that not abrasive enough to remove tire dressing be scratching the car. I have to believe the dressing is softer than the paint?!?:dunno:

That's my 2 cents...

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Chip-

Good points about the Boar's hair brush. I think its one of those things that just intuitively "seems" wrong to use-- but the reality is that its probably better than any type of wash mitt because it does the best job of not dragging dirt over the surface. They are bit expensive from Griot's though...

·
Registered
848 Posts
robg said:
Chip-

They are bit expensive from Griot's though...
True.... but I received it as a gift. I would probably have a hard time justifying the $70 bucks for it, and when compared to a $5 Chanile mitt the financial aspect of which is better is obvious!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts