BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was mid-February, had been cold for weeks on end, and my car was still covered with crud, salt, and sand from our "freak" January storm. Looked like a dirty Monaco Blue polar bear. Decided to take my car to the local "brushless" automatic car wash. "How much harm can one pass through it be?" I thought. DOH!

Well, I just finished the second of two multi-hour sessions washing, claying, polishing, and waxing the gazillion micro-scratches out of the paint. Will probably need to do another round in a few months to fishing cleaning them all up but it looks 100 times better (I'd post a picture but it is raining and rather gray).

I hope that the corrective effort I had to put in will serve as due penance. FWIW, I had taken my E39 through the same place once or twice in previous winters and the paint never ended up looking like it did on the E90. Note sure if the paint is different, the dirt was different, or the car wash changed something. Anyway, lesson learned.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Funny thread title.

Yes. I stay away from car wash places.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
In the LA area -- perhaps most of CA -- hand carwashes were the rule, however the CA Labor Commissioner has been cracking down on car wash operations and several of my local washes have switched over to brush-type. You don't see high-end Euro cars there anymore (including mine). Where to go? Get out the bucket and hose (if CC&Rs permit).
Article:

Last year, a (LA) Times investigation found that hand carwashes often violated basic labor and immigration laws with little risk of penalty. Labor standards enforcement investigators reported that half or more of carwash owners flouted the minimum-wage law.

Bradstreet said her offices had stepped up enforcement of registration laws. Last year, for example, 576 carwash businesses were inspected and more than $3.8 million in penalties were issued against companies found to be out of compliance with state laws.

·
Grand Poobah
108 Posts
I cannot recall the last time that I utilized an automated carwash. I suppose that it was around 3 cars ago… and that one was a Chevy :)

I tend to leave the BMW dirty rather than drive through one of those places.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
It's good that you came here. Letting it fester could be bad.

·
Don't Judge Me!
4,429 Posts
I normally hand wash and wipe my car. I don't even trust details shop.
Any others secret you like to share?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My dear soul, it was a error of your heart, trying to do whats right, only to have been proven wrong, life is a road of tribulations, potholes and devlish drivers, you have learned, and your punishment is in your already good deed to correct the error.

* You can get fine scratches in the paint from a grain of sand/dirt in the dry dowel you use to dry the car, as well as from a sponge with dirt.

Always rinse car very well before soaping up, and soap up from the top down, rinsing sponge in bucket to rid it of debris and small specs of dirt/salt particles. Below belt line and wheel areas use more rinsing, brake dust on sponge can even spread to rest of car.At least your car is not black, my MB 350 SLK was a major pain, the guys at hand car wash would rub the finish dry until it scratched...UGGHH!

Now, go tend to your love, my son.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Say 10 Hail Audis and 14 Our Porsches and abstain from all meat until April 1st.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Umm....Lent starts next week, and goes until April 22....meat face!

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I make my own rules, goat breath.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Lamb lips...

Easter theme....

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
See below.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Why confess to us anyway? Are any of us ordained?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why confess to us anyway?
It made me feel better, as a reminder to myself not to do it again, and to help all those newbies to Bimmerfest such that when they are curious about the possible damage that an automatic car wash can do to paint, and they use the Search feature to pull up all the relevant threads rather than posting a new one on a topic that has been hashed over a million times, they'll find this one and (oh, never mind that last reason - I guess I just thought the thread title was funny...)

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Say 10 Hail Audis and 14 Our Porsches and abstain from all meat until April 1st.
Don't forget the ablution with detailing spray.

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Yea though I drive through the garage door of the car wash of death...

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
It made me feel better, as a reminder to myself not to do it again, and to help all those newbies to Bimmerfest such that when they are curious about the possible damage that an automatic car wash can do to paint, and they use the Search feature to pull up all the relevant threads rather than posting a new one on a topic that has been hashed over a million times, they'll find this one and (oh, never mind that last reason - I guess I just thought the thread title was funny...)
I know. I was sort of being tongue in cheek.

Whenever I'm being serious, don't take me seriously.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.