BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW have admitted they may build their own F1 car when their Williams deal expires in 2004.

The German company’s motorsport director Mario Theissen admitted that going it alone was one option under discussion when their link-up with Williams ends in two years’ time.

He told German sports news agency SID: "The options are building our own Formula One car, continuing our collaboration with Williams in a more appropriate form or quitting Formula 1."

Theissen has warned Williams that there would have to be major changes to their relationship if they want to keep hold of their BMW engines.

He said: "We're too far behind Ferrari.

"We want to become world champions by 2004. Only with perfect collaboration in all areas - that includes the exchange of all data and the common use of computer simulations and research facilities - can we beat Michael Schumacher."

Williams managed just one race win this season but still finished second in the constructors’ championship.

And more ominously...

Ferrari designer Rory Byrne says next year’s car will be even better than the all-conquering F2002.

The news will come as an ominous warning to Williams and McLaren whose 2002 cars were massively outclassed by this year’s Ferrari. Both British teams are planning major advances with next year’s cars but the world champions are not resting on their laurels.

Byrne is working flat out to make sure Ferrari consolidate on the massive advantage they currently hold over the opposition

"I have the hammer down as hard as possible to make this the fastest car we can," Byrne said in the Daily Telegraph. "I am sure it will be better. We have put maximum effort into next year's car from the beginning of July. We are making another radical step."

The South African was on the verge of retirement when he was persuaded to join Ferrari by his former Benetton colleague Ross Brawn back in 1997. He has gone on to play an integral part in Ferrari’s incredible renaissance which has seen them go from being midfield no-hopers in the early-Nineties to completing a hat-trick of drivers’ titles with Michael Schumacher this year.

The rest of Formula 1 will be hoping that next year’s Ferrari is not as good as this season’s F2002. The car has scored an incredible 14 victories from 15 races entered, as well as helping Michael Schumacher finish every 2002 grand prix on the podium.

·
Registered
571 Posts
This was the worst year in F1 that I can remember, and I've followed the sport since the sixties. I'm a rabid F1 fan but I'm losing interest quickly. Everything about the sport seems to be going downhill. Since '98 the cars are god awful ugly, with the narrow track and aero bits hanging off them. The electronics have taken much of the driver talent away, plus affected the racing. Aerodynamics now rule so close racing isn't possible and now the worst possible news...Spa may be dropped. Pretty soon all the tracks will be over grown go-kart tracks. What's next?

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
So Rory Byrne says the F2003 will be even better, huh? Well, isn't that shocking news? The scary thing is, what if he's telling the truth? :yikes:

That BMW has been unhappy with the Williams chassis and aero work isn't news but it overlooks the surprising number of meltdowns their engines suffered this past season. Williams, for their part, has promised massive changes to the car for 2003. Let's hope BMW solves their reliability issues.

I have to admit, Ferrari's superiority doesn't bother me at all but I started getting unhappy with F1 when they banned turbos (and then *grooved* tires?!?!? WTF?)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
People forget the years when Ferrari was always the bridesmaid. Beautiful V-12 engines but always overrun by the Fords. So kudos on this long stretch of winning.

But I am also getting bored. Maybe it is time to change the rules again :D

Asides from Ferrari, there hasn't been that many successful teams that also produced their own engines. Maybe Lotus, BRM? I know I am evil when I say this: If BMW goes as a team, then it may divert Chris B's styling efforts away from production cars. :D

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Mercedes is also planning to build own chassis, said the DC CEO in an interview recently.

20,210 Posts
Eugie Baange said:

it overlooks the surprising number of meltdowns their engines suffered this past season. Let's hope BMW solves their reliability issues.

for a minute there I thought you were talking M3, not F1 ;)

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
atyclb said:
for a minute there I thought you were talking M3, not F1 ;)
the piston speed is almost the same in both engines ;)

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
DaveN323i said:

:yikes: :yikes:

Now I know why the F-1 engines are failing (overreving before the first 1500 miles) :D
they are failing, because the drivers are damn lazy to RTFM ! :D

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
richard said:
This was the worst year in F1 that I can remember, and I've followed the sport since the sixties. I'm a rabid F1 fan but I'm losing interest quickly. Everything about the sport seems to be going downhill. Since '98 the cars are god awful ugly, with the narrow track and aero bits hanging off them. The electronics have taken much of the driver talent away, plus affected the racing. Aerodynamics now rule so close racing isn't possible and now the worst possible news...Spa may be dropped. Pretty soon all the tracks will be over grown go-kart tracks. What's next?
I disagree. While Ferrrari HAS run away with most all the races (14 of 16) the racing behind them has been the best in many years. A good bit of passing and attempting to pass, lots of teams getting some points.

I remember back to the times when the order through the first corner was gthe finishing order minus retirements. Entire races without a single pass. And after about 2 laps nobody even close enough to try a pass.

I agree with the poster who says that maybe Ferrari has given the other teams a wake up call, but even so, there has been some very good racing this year for the places behind the Ferraris.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Pinecone said:
I remember back to the times when the order through the first corner was gthe finishing order minus retirements. Entire races without a single pass. And after about 2 laps nobody even close enough to try a pass.
Not always. I do remember numerous races where Nigel Mansell, Ricardo Patrese, Nelson Piquet, Senna, Prost chased each other through the entire race during the 90s. Especially in one of the three races came to my mind, in 1990 where Nigel Mansell started from the last position on the grid and won the race. (Hungarian Grand Prix '90)

And in addition to this, there were literally no stinking team orders. Does anybody remember Prost-Senna crash in Japan ? Anyone remembers how many times they shooted each other in that season ?

Anyway, I think the Ferrari dominance was not very different from McLaren-Honda dominance in the 90s.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Even though McLaren in '88 won 15 of 16 races there were no team orders. The fight between Senna and Prost was fantastic. As far as good racing back in the pack this year, that may be, but I really don't think a dice for tenth place is nearly as exciting as one for the lead. Formula 1 is not always exciting but to me this year was the worst. Qualifying was better than the races. In some ways I think F1 died with Senna.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Mercedes is also planning to build own chassis, said the DC CEO in an interview recently.
Yea, based on the PT Cruiser. :lmao:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts