BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read today that CART had their annual race at the track in Montreal. Christian de Matta's pole position time (1:18.950) was some six seconds slower than Juan Pablo Montoya's pole time (1:12.350)! That is quite a difference, granted it is not an oval track.

About 10 years ago, Ron Dennis was thinking about entering two McLarens in the Indy 500, but never did. Obviously, they would not have been F1 cars.

Anyway, I have always wondered WHY no one wants to see a F1 car race against a CART or Indy car. I think that it would be pretty interesting! One oval track for comparision and then some road course - say Spa or Suzuka. Which would be faster?

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Patrick

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and to keep this on the correct topic, the Formula One car would be the BMW Williams. :D

Patrick

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DougDogs said:
Actually Patrick, I think yesterday was the first CART race on the Montreal circuit that F1 races also.....
You are absolutely CORRECT! I just re-read the article (it is in Finnish), and it is supposedly the FIRST time that both Formula One and CART cars have driven on the same track.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Unfortunatly, I don't have speed channel on my cable service. I only saw some highlights on RPM show (ESPN) late last night:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Depends

I think the hp advantage that CART has would put it ahead on an oval track but the 400 lb lighter F1 car would definitely make it the winner on a road circuit. I went to the Montreal F1 race and also the Molson Indy in Toronto this year. Both were fun; CART is much better at getting the crowd involved at the track but its such a thrill hearing the shrill engines of F1 and knowing that they are the best racers in the world.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
A couple friends and I were discussing this last night after looking at the numbers. DaMatta's TQ was over a second slower than even Alex Yoong's qualifying time in the POS Minardi. HP wise, the cars are similar but F1 weighs less, probably have better tires and aero, more automation, and the engines are aspro and turn more way RPMs. I think the differences bear themselves out in the Montreal numbers.

However, I bet it'll take F1 teams a while to figure out how to optimize their cars to get ~240MPH for 500mi on a superspeedway. :D

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kaz said:
However, I bet it'll take F1 teams a while to figure out how to optimize their cars to get ~240MPH for 500mi on a superspeedway. :D
True. The Formula One speed record was held by Coulthard and Verstappen (both from Hockenheim) at something like 368km/h (230mph). Now that the ADAC has turned the forest section of Hockenheim back into a forest, that record will probably not be broken on any current circuit.

I also wonder if MSchumacher would be willing to drive at 400km/h in any car! Not to mention any other F1 driver, aside from Villeneuve ... who has probaby already done that.

Patrick

·
Registered
571 Posts
I attend the Canadian GP every year. I watched the Cart race on Speed Channel, and all I can say is the Cart cars do nothing for me. The F1 cars are so much quicker. Not faster...quicker. Cart is like F1's fatter brother. It seems more like a spec series with the teams buying one of two different chassis and not building their own. That said, the cars are a lot cheaper. F1 is the World Championship after all, where Cart is primarily a North American series.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts