BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Don't you think that this forum is overflowed with the useless threads? Could we create 3 new branches here? Let's say: Technical, Competition and Personal Impressions.
Technical - technical discusions, problems with the car, maintenance
Competition - IS vs 3, G37 vs 3, and etc. "Who has bigger balls for less money" discussion
Personal Impressions - all other meaningless information. "What color is gay enough", "Do you think this option is good for me", "My car just swam over the Atlantic", "Take a look to my new pictures", "My salesperson sucks, but my girlfriend likes him" and etc

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Breaking into subforums slows down the action (fewer new posts per day). I am not saying we won't do it, but it needs to have a pretty compelling reason...

- Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
We could at least have just ONE thread that gives links to all the "stickies," and eliminate the need to scroll down through WAY TO MANY sticky threads (on every page too!) to get the active threads. Hey moderator....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood the OP's intent. I thought they were arguing for greater relevance. If so, as compared to the decrease in volume you predict, it seems like a vote for quality over quantity. I'll take the quality, please. ;)

Thanks,

Snaxster

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Remember, as someone already pointed out, bimmerfest serves much more than just e9x owners (unlike cayman club). If they re-organize the e9x subforum, then what about all the others?

However, in the last couple of weeks, the quality of threads has really gone down the draaaaain.
:flush:

So I can understand why the OP is making this suggestion. It would be nice if we could go back to the intelligent conversations we once had.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
We could at least have just ONE thread that gives links to all the "stickies," and eliminate the need to scroll down through WAY TO MANY sticky threads (on every page too!) to get the active threads. Hey moderator....
I am the mod, and I like that idea. Let me see what I can do...

- Mike

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Remember, as someone already pointed out, bimmerfest serves much more than just e9x owners (unlike cayman club). If they re-organize the e9x subforum, then what about all the others?

However, in the last couple of weeks, the quality of threads has really gone down the draaaaain.

So I can understand why the OP is making this suggestion. It would be nice if we could go back to the intelligent conversations we once had.
Start intelligent threads. :thumbup:

·
Registered
621 Posts
"What's good for the goose is good for the gander." Or something. :p Anyway, if it ends up working well for the E9x forum, others may follow suit. We can be the vanguard!

In that case, once a good standard was chosen (given demonstrated effectiveness in the E9x forum) members would learn to rely on the sub-categorization as they moved from one model forum to another.

I've only been here a short time, so I can't compare to the time before that. But I think that some of the content of some recent threads (the G37, 3 vs. 5, and Bangle ones, for instance) has been very good. Beyond the table thumping and flames, there has been some really good debating in them, some of which has been educational for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't see why all of the other forums would *have* to change if one changed. If they *wanted* to change, though, that's a different story.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've only been here a short time, so I can't compare to the time before that. But I think that some of the content of some recent threads (the G37, 3 vs. 5, and Bangle ones, for instance) has been very good. Beyond the table thumping and flames, there has been some really good debating in them, some of which has been educational for me.
+1

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Breaking into subforums slows down the action (fewer new posts per day). I am not saying we won't do it, but it needs to have a pretty compelling reason...

- Mike
I agree..
everyone has one pet folder that they go to (right now it is e90/92/93). If that is sub broken, the most popular one is where everyone will end up going and that would then need to be split up.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
"What's good for the goose is good for the gander." Or something. :p Anyway, if it ends up working well for the E9x forum, others may follow suit. We can be the vanguard!

In that case, once a good standard was chosen (given demonstrated effectiveness in the E9x forum) members would learn to rely on the sub-categorization as they moved from one model forum to another.

There has always been a lot of good discussion on this forum. However, in the last couple of weeks or so, there has been way too many "I know you are, but what am I" type posts...

Plus, there has always been intellectually stimulating debates about a very wide range of topics on Bimmerfest. For example, 335 vs 328, coupe vs sedan, AWD vs RWD, Step vs Manual, iDrive vs no iDrive, Logic 7 vs standard, sport vs non sport, etc...However, some of these debates have recently degraded into a cesspool of juvenile gibberish. Ideally, all debates should be fact based. You can't have an intelligent conversation with an emotionally immature individual.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
I think a good start would be reducing the number of damn stickies.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
I think a good start would be reducing the number of damn stickies.
+1 Kris did a great job summarizing stickies into a much better wiki, even though the e90 area has a wiki, it has to updated badly, much easier to get rid of the stickies and put them in the wiki. Great job Kris!

·
(occasionally in crises)
216 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
(occasionally in crises)
216 Posts

i have not been a member for that long, but:

when someone starts a thread, and no one replies (number of viewers does not matter), doesn't that thread just keep moving further and further down the line as other threads have replies??

this is similar to survival of the fittest.

a few posts up someone mentioned having a few sub catagories such as technical, personal impressions, and X vs. Y. this suggestion IMHO does have some merit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts