BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Forza and the Nürburgring

1378 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  TGray5
I know the Nürburgring is a tough course and I have driven it in Forza over 20 times so far. I am wondering if anyone who has actually driven the Nürburgring has since tried the track in Forza (or Vice Versa, but the game is pretty new) and could do a comparison.

Also, do you think that with enough "track time" in Forza, I would be able to drive the real Nürburgring efficiently during my ED in July?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
No worries... If you flipped your 545, just hit the re-set buttom. You'll be fine :p

You be the guinee.... Let us know how everything "turns out" (or upside down) ;)

beewang :bigpimp:
I thought "Forza" was a Lamborghini SUV?
That's La Forza, Italian made, but not by Lamborghini.
Their SUV was called the LM 008.
I don't know what he's talking about either.
woody underwood said:
I thought "Forza" was a Lamborghini SUV?
You might be able to learn the track with a video game, but I guarantee that you can't learn high performance driving skills with a video game. So, the answer is, if you've had some training and experience on real tracks in the US, then by all means go for it if you want. If you haven't, it's not a good idea, IMO.
adwebinc said:
I know the Nürburgring is a tough course and I have driven it in Forza over 20 times so far. I am wondering if anyone who has actually driven the Nürburgring has since tried the track in Forza (or Vice Versa, but the game is pretty new) and could do a comparison.

Also, do you think that with enough "track time" in Forza, I would be able to drive the real Nürburgring efficiently during my ED in July?
I didn't play Forza, but I have 'almost' memorized the track on GT4.

I have driven on the real 'Ring the first time a few weeks ago. Believe me, after the second corner you are forgetting everything you have learned in the game :) All you are doing is trying to stay on the course and drive safely while checking your rearview mirror 10 times per second.

Do not forget that you are not driving against the clock, the Nordschleife (North Loop), as it is actually called, is an experience. You are there to enjoy the course, not to win. You won't get a prize at the end, but you'll have a bigass grin on your face once you completed your lap.

Read the link below:

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

It's a great source of information and it's in english language.

Do not forget one thing ; Respect the Ring, do not overestimate yourself. Once you left the gate, remember how much attention you paid when you first drove a car in your life, and drive like you did on that very first day.

Yes, you'll be able to drive on the 'Ring.
adwebinc said:
I know the Nürburgring is a tough course and I have driven it in Forza over 20 times so far. I am wondering if anyone who has actually driven the Nürburgring has since tried the track in Forza (or Vice Versa, but the game is pretty new) and could do a comparison.

Also, do you think that with enough "track time" in Forza, I would be able to drive the real Nürburgring efficiently during my ED in July?
Yep, Italian made on a military vehicle chassis, but with a Ford V8 here in the US...I first saw one at Concours Italiano parked BY some Lamborghinis, so I assumed.... So I've hi-jacked enough and will let the guy go back learning to drive on his video game. (Yeah, I know, all the F1 drivers do it too)
emdreiSMG said:
That's La Forza, Italian made, but not by Lamborghini.
Their SUV was called the LM 008.
I don't know what he's talking about either.
You may have memorized the track (maybe), but no game will teach you anything about:
- Being passed 20 times in one lap - yes, you will be one of the slowest vehicles there.
- G-forces with braking, accelerating and cornering.
- Track imperfections and difference in traction. Very important if you plan to go full-tilt.
- The handling characteristics of your new car.

All in all I'd say drive it very conservatively (and watch those mirrors), come back safely and tell us all about it...

adc
03 330 ZHP
adwebinc said:
I know the Nürburgring is a tough course and I have driven it in Forza over 20 times so far. I am wondering if anyone who has actually driven the Nürburgring has since tried the track in Forza (or Vice Versa, but the game is pretty new) and could do a comparison.

Also, do you think that with enough "track time" in Forza, I would be able to drive the real Nürburgring efficiently during my ED in July?
I have attended 4 BMW Nurburgring schools (3 days each) and will go again this year in my new 330i. The Ring is exceptionally difficult to drive well, mostly because it is so long and complicated (13 miles and 160+ corners, many of them with blind entries). I haven't tried Forza, but I do have GT4, and I consider it a useful practice tool to help me refamiliarize myself to the track sequence. However, if you haven't actually driven it and learned where to place your car entering every turn, the video game won't help much. If you have done enough video laps that you can close your eyes and visualize an entire lap, naming each corner as you go, then it may help you to remember whether the track goes left, right, up or down after that blind crest you're approaching flat out in 4th gear. But video games are no substitute for actual driving. Don't go to the Ring thinking otherwise. As others have said, go, drive defensively, and have a good time. Do not try to go fast until you have mastered it in person. If you have significant track experience at US track schools, then you may want to sign up for the BMW Club school offered every year at the Nurburgring. Signups for US and Canadian students are done through BMW CCA. Watch the Roundel for information. And doing the Ring School is a perfect match with ED - you can drive the school in your own new Bimmer, instead of a rental car.
adwebinc said:
I know the Nürburgring is a tough course and I have driven it in Forza over 20 times so far. I am wondering if anyone who has actually driven the Nürburgring has since tried the track in Forza (or Vice Versa, but the game is pretty new) and could do a comparison.

Also, do you think that with enough "track time" in Forza, I would be able to drive the real Nürburgring efficiently during my ED in July?
Thanks! That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I am definately under no illusion that the video game will prepare me for the actual physics of the drive, but the difficulty would certainly be compounded if I was unfamiliar with the track itself. I'm not looking to go nuts the first time, I just want to experience the drive and make sure I am respectful of the better drivers on the course.

Thanks again for the feedback! :thumbup:
Alex Baumann said:
I didn't play Forza, but I have 'almost' memorized the track on GT4.

I have driven on the real 'Ring the first time a few weeks ago. Believe me, after the second corner you are forgetting everything you have learned in the game :) All you are doing is trying to stay on the course and drive safely while checking your rearview mirror 10 times per second.

Do not forget that you are not driving against the clock, the Nordschleife (North Loop), as it is actually called, is an experience. You are there to enjoy the course, not to win. You won't get a prize at the end, but you'll have a bigass grin on your face once you completed your lap.

Read the link below:

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

It's a great source of information and it's in english language.

Do not forget one thing ; Respect the Ring, do not overestimate yourself. Once you left the gate, remember how much attention you paid when you first drove a car in your life, and drive like you did on that very first day.

Yes, you'll be able to drive on the 'Ring.
Thanks L Seca. For this time around, I think I'll just take it easy and make sure we stay out of the faster drivers' way. For the thrill of speed around the track, I'm thinking of going the M5 taxi route. I appreciate the feedback! :thumbup:
L Seca said:
I have attended 4 BMW Nurburgring schools (3 days each) and will go again this year in my new 330i. The Ring is exceptionally difficult to drive well, mostly because it is so long and complicated (13 miles and 160+ corners, many of them with blind entries). I haven't tried Forza, but I do have GT4, and I consider it a useful practice tool to help me refamiliarize myself to the track sequence. However, if you haven't actually driven it and learned where to place your car entering every turn, the video game won't help much. If you have done enough video laps that you can close your eyes and visualize an entire lap, naming each corner as you go, then it may help you to remember whether the track goes left, right, up or down after that blind crest you're approaching flat out in 4th gear. But video games are no substitute for actual driving. Don't go to the Ring thinking otherwise. As others have said, go, drive defensively, and have a good time. Do not try to go fast until you have mastered it in person. If you have significant track experience at US track schools, then you may want to sign up for the BMW Club school offered every year at the Nurburgring. Signups for US and Canadian students are done through BMW CCA. Watch the Roundel for information. And doing the Ring School is a perfect match with ED - you can drive the school in your own new Bimmer, instead of a rental car.
I just tried the Ring in Forza, in the M3 GTR, and I got a 9:42 laptime, whoohoo!! :) I thought maybe I got lost on the track, that's like a Toyota Camry laptime or something.
I tried the Ring last night for the first time in the Porsche 911 GT3, and I clocked a 10:33 :(
Dawg90 said:
I just tried the Ring in Forza, in the M3 GTR, and I got a 9:42 laptime, whoohoo!! :) I thought maybe I got lost on the track, that's like a Toyota Camry laptime or something.
Damn, if you came all the way to Europe to drive at the Ring, you could have at least given me a heads up and we could have met in Copenhagen or something. :eeps:

Oh yeah, we are just talking about the game. :bigpimp:

.
MrAirbags said:
I tried the Ring last night for the first time in the Porsche 911 GT3, and I clocked a 10:33 :(
Is it ok to drive on the track during the break-in process of a new car? :rofl:
Would it be foolish to keep it under 4000 rpm during a lap?
Would other drivers hate you for driving so slow?
IMO, unless you have prior track training and are in a car you are familiar with its not worth it. I've done over 20 days of track schools in the US and I still decided not to drive my 545 on the Nurburgring. There is just too much new with the 545 for me to be comfortable taking it out...run flats, active steering, dynamic sway bars. However, I did go and watch and made friends with a guy there and he took me for a few laps in his e30. It is a very high speed road course and the drivers are very aggressive and its crowded on the weekends when its open to the public. When I was there, it was closed several times for wrecks including for one Porsche that rolled and whose driver had to be helicoptered out. Another driver owed the track $3,000 for the Armco that he damaged in his crash.
jet190rs said:
Is it ok to drive on the track during the break-in process of a new car? :rofl:
Would it be foolish to keep it under 4000 rpm during a lap?
Would other drivers hate you for driving so slow?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top