Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2016 40E last August, CPOd.
Just recently I've been getting alerts about low pressure in one tire. Took it in to BMW and they found a plug.
This car was an executive demo with 2999 miles. I did not put the plug in. I assume the dealer new about it.
Should they have sold it with a plug?
I don't have the CPO checklist and I don't have tire insurance.
It will cost $346 to replace.
Do I have any recourse with BMW or am I stuck?

TIA

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,480 Posts
IMNHO you***8217;re stuck with it. CPO means just what the dealer wants it to mean, no more and no less..

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,041 Posts
Make sure you get that new tire shaved down to match the OD of the remaining tires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
134 Posts
this may be just slow leak. Just go to some tire place to get the hot patch for around $20 and move on. You dont need to spend $300+ or have headache dealing with dealer about this.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Dealers are not going to dismount tires to see if they've been plugged. Just got unlucky.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,633 Posts
The story doesn't add up. "Executive demo" implies it was a brass hat car, so presumably was serviced by BMW. BMW prohibits plugging RFT's. Highly unlikely the BMW service department plugged the tire, and if it really was a brass hat, why would the executive plug it, instead of just having BMW slap on a brand new tire?

Did you run a CarFax on the car before you purchased it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only thing a cpo is worth is the implied warranty. The inspection they do to cpo a car is worthless. Now, isn***8217;t it a little in kosher to plug a runflat? Imean***8217; I***8217;ve done it on my cars but a dealer won***8217;t do it by request.

John

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
"Discovery" of a plugged RFT in "CPO" purchase

I bought a 2016 40E last August, CPOd.
Just recently I've been getting alerts about low pressure in one tire. Took it in to BMW and they found a plug.
This car was an executive demo with 2999 miles. I did not put the plug in. I assume the dealer new about it.
Should they have sold it with a plug?
I don't have the CPO checklist and I don't have tire insurance.
It will cost $346 to replace.
Do I have any recourse with BMW or am I stuck?
TIA
I'm not shocked that the dealer would have signed off on a plugged RFT on a relatively new BMW. But I am "disappointed" ... That's going on the CHEAP. I think you have a couple of ways to go:

1. Tell the dealer Service Manager to use the tire manufacturer road hazard coverage to have the tire REPLACED.;

2. Ask/tell the dealership GENERAL MANAGER to escalate the claim for a replacement new tire to BMWNA. If the BMW rationale for refusing to repair a RFT is that it's to shield them from liability claims that might arise for repair of a tire that was driven at low/no air pressure you are entitled to an explanation WHY you were sold a relatively NEW BMW with a patched RFT.

As for needing to match up one tire tread depth of a new replacement tire with the remaining 3 ... probably only necessary if, for example, you've driven 10,000+ miles since owning the vehicle &/or if tread depth exceeds BMW recommended variances ( I don't have that at my fingertips but it's been posted elsewhere on the forum).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts