BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after asking my usual place, Pro Tint on Preston, to REtint my rear window, they told me $195!

I found a guy in downtown McKinney that will do it for $100.

The $100 guys weren't open, they were leaving as I pulled up.. so I went a little further south into downtown McKinney and found a guy that would do it for $65!

Now, keep in mind, ProTint wanted to use that fancy-smanshey heat retardent tint (has fancy name) and I doubt the guy in McKinney will, so that's the difference.. in any case, it's a good source if you're looking for tint.

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
I find in general you get what you pay for. A good tint job should be $150-200. If I were doing my Corolla again then I would roll the bones on the cheaper guy, but for the bimmer I stick with the good stuff.

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... and I'm sure the tint place appreciates a BMW owner requesting the 'good stuff'.. as they laugh all the way to the bank with you in their thoughts... yes, I can hear them now...

So! Please define a 'good tint job', and where would you be getting a 'good' tint job for $150-200? It's all relative Hockeynut, car size, tint used, THEIR MOOD etc. :)

For example, Pro Tint in Dallas has done 3-4 of my cars [in the past]... usually a 'decent' job, no bubbles, tight lines, long lasting color, no fading........ but recently, their pricing has gone 'out the window' as you can see from my first post. So, what is fair, $195 for one window, or a hard-working guy charging $65 for the same (and yes, the same tint)? I beleive it's relative to the shop, their location, the application and such, AND JUST MAYBE A hard-working local guy trying to do some good without ripping off his customers [they do exist].

I'll get off my soapbox now.

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
... and I'm sure the tint place appreciates a BMW owner requesting the 'good stuff'.. as they laugh all the way to the bank with you in their thoughts... yes, I can hear them now...

So! Please define a 'good tint job', and where would you be getting a 'good' tint job for $150-200? It's all relative Hockeynut, car size, tint used, THEIR MOOD etc. :)

For example, Pro Tint in Dallas has done 3-4 of my cars [in the past]... usually a 'decent' job, no bubbles, tight lines, long lasting color, no fading........ but recently, their pricing has gone 'out the window' as you can see from my first post. So, what is fair, $195 for one window, or a hard-working guy charging $65 for the same (and yes, the same tint)? I beleive it's relative to the shop, their location, the application and such, AND JUST MAYBE A hard-working local guy trying to do some good without ripping off his customers [they do exist].

I'll get off my soapbox now.
I trust the recommendations of others. In Austin there is a place called Sunbusters which is where BMW, Lexus and MB send their cars for tint. Also lots of locals have used them and have nothing but good things to say about 'em. I believe it was aroud $200 for my tint and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
Regardless of price I would insist on a lifetime warranty against fading and bubling. Anybody that offers your only a 2 year warranty is going to be more expensive in the long run when you have to redo the tint in 2-3 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts