BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, got a new NT520 Pro. Went through all the semi confusing ID setup, registration, updating, BMW software download (I think), etc. Should have just got the pre-loaded version, but got it on sale.

Looking at the manual, some screens seem to show an icon for a vehicle type. "GM" in my manual. However when using mine, I don't see a "BMW" icon, just regular OBDII and instrument setup, etc.

I assume I did something wrong as the scans seem pretty limited using OBDII. Finding less codes than my Creator 310. Any tips?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one else has a Foxwell? Re-downloaded the update software, ran it, and it seems the BMW specific software is on the SD card in the unit. The main screen when scanning still just shows the OBD, setup, playback, and update icons. No BMW one. Unsure if it even should.

Playback shows it's finding my VIN number, and scans are showing my bad thermostat like the Creator does. My Creator has also been showing TC case failures/calibration codes too. The Foxwell hasn't. Then when clearing codes with the Fox, my 4x4 light popped on when it never has even with the Creator found codes. The Fox still showed no codes. Creator showed my normal TC codes and even when cleared the 4x4 light stayed on for a start cycle or two.

Weird. Still seems like the Fox is acting like a dumb OBD scanner, not getting into the BMW modules. Guess I actually need to RTFM now. About ready to send back and buy the Schwaben which is basically the same.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SUCCESS!

Maybe. Went through the update routine several times, stuck at 0.4%. Wiped SD card and still stuck 0.4%. Pulled SD out of unit and updated directly in laptop. WORKED! I now see a BMW icon on my main screen. Now to test in car. And yes, the user manual says to update inside of unit. There's an update icon right on main screen! Sent in a ticket, hopefully don't have a lemon.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I purchased the Schwaben version from Ecs when it was on sale. It worked right out of the box. That doesn't help you at all but thought I'd reply since nobody else seems to be. :p

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
What’s the benefit of this vs. ISTA? is it the fact that it’s handled vs. Laptop?

I’m curious can this or does anyone do software/module updates on their bmw? I’m curious on that process and wondering if there is a place where you can see the different updates and what they address

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
485 Posts
What's the benefit of this vs. ISTA? is it the fact that it's handled vs. Laptop?

I'm curious can this or does anyone do software/module updates on their bmw? I'm curious on that process and wondering if there is a place where you can see the different updates and what they address

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
No it can't, it just does service procedures and live data. The benefits of this scan tool are it's simply easy to use (who would want to lug a 5lb MacBook Pro under the car when changing tranny fluid?) .....you get the idea...and live data monitoring

As for software updates, haven't done it (since PO religiously serviced at bmw dealer), and don't plan to...lol

Most important update was the tranny update for 2007 models which was released in March 2008....as long as you have that you***8217;re good.

·
Registered
942 Posts
What***8217;s the benefit of this vs. ISTA? is it the fact that it***8217;s handled vs. Laptopt
The benefit is that I have tried multiple versions of the rheingold/ista/etc software on multiple laptops using a few different cables and that **** just doesn***8217;t work with my car and has nearly given me a brain aneurysm trying to get clunky non-user friendly garbage software to work. The Foxwell/schwaben scanner just works. It can do basic service resets like oil service, steering angle sensor alignment stuff, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts