BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'll be doing my first ED this July. Taking delivery of my Sedona Red 135i on July 7th in Munich, and flying home from Frankfurt the morning of July 21st.

Unfortunately it seems I didn't do as much research as I should have in planning the flight home - July 21st is a Monday morning. My plan was going to be to drop off the car the day before the flight, but obviously Harms is only open Monday through Friday.

I've read that you can pay a 60 Euro fee in order to do a weekend or after-hours dropoff, and I think that may be my best option. What steps do I need to go through to make this happen? I understand there is some dropoff paperwork that needs to happen prior to this - does the paperwork need to be completed during business hours at the Frankfurt Harms or could I do it from Munich at the start of the trip?

What I'm really trying to figure out is if I need to be in Frankfurt on Friday and stay through the weekend or if I can be elsewhere until Sunday. I hadn't planned on spending much time in Frankfurt but wanted to spend the end of the trip in northern Germany so it seemed to make more sense than ending the trip in Munich.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide! :)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Interesting, me too for the drop-off.

Two options:
1) Pre-drop-off the car, paperwork, and keys on Friday. Then you can park the car outside the gate Monday morning, and go get your plane. They will take your car at 8:30 when they open. I seriously considered this, but logistically it seemed like a pain, so I chose plan B (there is a thread I have on this about a week old, if you want a lot more detail ***8211; its worth your read)

2) Plan B - fly out Sunday the 20th instead of the 21st (I didn't really want the morning flight on the 21st).

I called Harms Frankfurt, and will be dropping my car off on Sunday at 14:30. Maybe we can split the cost if we both do this?? :) They are charging me 70***8364;. I'll actually be in Frankfurt that week, but don't want to spend the weekend there.

So, yes you can drop the car off Sunday (if you do it at 14:30, you***8217;ll see me there!).

Send them an email (or call). It might take a few days to get an email response back. I ended up doing both.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
FYI - here is the email I sent them, just to confirm our telephone conversation. Basically just politely confirming the drop off at 14:30 on the 20th as we discussed over the phone. (the fee is 75 € cash)

Subject: Unser Telefonat vom 19. Mai 2008 - Autoüberführung

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

auch auf diesem Wege möchten wir den Termin für die Abgabe des BMWs (der dann nach Amerika verschifft werden soll) bestätigen.

Datum: Sonntag, 20. Juli 2008
Uhrzeit: 14:30 Uhr

Können Sie uns bitte ein Taxi bestellen, dass uns im Anschluss zum Flughafen bringen wird?
Wir werden die vom BMW-Werk erhaltenen Papiere, unseren Pass und 75 € in bar mitbringen.

Nachdem wir den Wagen in München abgeholt haben, werden wir uns Mitte Juli telefonisch mit Ihnen in Verbindung setzen, um den Abgabetermin erneut zu bestätigen.

Bis dahin verbleiben wir
mit freundlichen Grüßen...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha! I read your other thread but didn't realize you were looking at the same dates as I am.

Unfortunately our plane tickets are already booked and purchased with Monday as our departure date so I can't change anything now. Dropoff on Sunday would be perfect though, if they're willing to accomodate me as they did for you. I don't mind taking public transit back to our hotel and hanging out around there until our flight on Monday morning.

Are you going to complete your paperwork prior to Sunday or is it all going to be done when you drop off?

Finally, I noticed of course that your email is in German; am I going to have trouble communicating with them in English? Also, would you mind PMing me contact information for who you've talked to? Maybe your name too if you don't mind, so I can reference your situation and ask that we drop off around the same time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Send them an Email, they speak and write English. We dropped off on a Saturday for75 Euro. The rep gave us a ride back to our hotel which was nearby. http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/394/de/hd/framf Nothing special but clean with a good breakfast & 5 Euro shuttle to the Airport. Aircrews stay there. My son was with Delta and the room was 55 Euro.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Well, although my wife and I communicate with them in German (on the phone), judging from the accent, the person we talked to was not a native german (or english) speaker. I doubt english would be a problem.

I believe we talked to both people listed on the website (and sent them both emails).

Frankfurt
E.H. Harms GmbH & Co.
An den Sportplatzen 8-10
64546 Walldorf (Möhrfelden)
Phone: 06105-45 861/62
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]

Either way, someone will be at the Frankfurt Harms office at 2:30pm on Sunday the 20th (me, and someone from Harms - I'm flying out later that evening)

From the US, the phone would be 011 49 6105 45 861 or 862

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
We stayed at the Landhotel Monchbruchmuhle just east of Morfelden, good restuarant, good rooms and the hotel gave us a ride to the Airport in the morning. Harms is a little difficlut to find when the nav system thinks it is there it is around the corner on a back street.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi. Sorry for jumping in like this, but I too am scheduled to leave on July 20th at 17:30. I have reserved a flight that leaves Munich at 12:00 on Sunday, stops over in frankfurt, and leaves Frankfurt at 17:30. I am thinking that it would make more sense to drop off in Frankfurt if I can get on the direct flight from Frankfurt to NYC.

If I can get on that direct flight (I will find out today), would it make sense for me to jump on your drop off time and split the cost? Just a thought.

1st ED, so I'm not sure what the exact perameters are. I know my order for says drop off in munich and I don't know whether switching that is possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mook,

You should probably talk to your client advisor first to make sure they can accommodate a different dropoff location. I'm really not sure if it even matters which location is listed on the purchase order paperwork, but I would check to make sure.

chaz58 and I are both dropping off on Sunday July 20 at 2:30 pm. Chaz arranged a discounted fee since we would be arriving at the same time. If you're interested in jumping in, email Suan ([email protected]) and see if they can accommodate you as well. Check your PM's because I'm going to send you a couple more details there.

·
Registered
481 Posts
mook,

You should probably talk to your client advisor first to make sure they can accommodate a different dropoff location. I'm really not sure if it even matters which location is listed on the purchase order paperwork, but I would check to make sure.

chaz58 and I are both dropping off on Sunday July 20 at 2:30 pm. Chaz arranged a discounted fee since we would be arriving at the same time. If you're interested in jumping in, email Suan ([email protected]) and see if they can accommodate you as well. Check your PM's because I'm going to send you a couple more details there.
Sounds good. Will do.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
..You should probably talk to your client advisor first to make sure they can accommodate a different dropoff location. I'm really not sure if it even matters which location is listed on the purchase order paperwork, but I would check to make sure....
No need to do that as your CA wouldn't know the right answer.

It doesn't matter if your drop-off location is different than that is listed on your P.O. The folks at the drop-off center don't even know that you are coming so this is a non-issue.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think i'm just going to stick with the Munich drop off. Changing everything aroun d doesn't really get me anywhere other than a later flight out of Frankfurt as opposed to the earlier flight with the connection in Frankfurt. I can do all my shopping at the Frankfurt airport on the layover this way so I don't have to do it during the trip. Selfish, i know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts