BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks -

So, Frankie literally went to Hollywood. I had to go to Los Angeles on a short business trip and decided to take a chance and drive Frankie down.

She drove down well - average cruise set speed of around 80 MPH. These cars are truly great freeway cruisers. Its pretty much what they were built for.

Anyway... got into LA and OAT was around 80 - 94 Degrees. Car ran fine, no over heating, temperatures never went up. I am wondering if I should bother changing the clutch, fan and water pump - even though they sat for a year ..

Radio / Stereo worked most of the time, except for the occasional high pitched whine every now and then when it was on radio. DSP is still dead as a door knob.

One annoying thing is the A/C kept stopping or at least stopped blowing cold air. Try sitting in 80 - 90 degree heat in traffic with windows that can't go down (I had the windows done). Gaah! I don't know if it is out of refrigerant or the compressor is bad - will post more about this.

So.... so far so good. Car has now officially broken the 1,000 mile mark with me. She does a weird idle thing while driving, more to come on this also.

I made my way back to the Bay Area today. The whole trip was actually quite monumental. A lot of major milestones with the car.

The Radio worked then entire trip - the entire trip! It never once cut out, but it did do that silly high pitched whine. A radio shop said it was very likely the Amp going bad... time to go Amp shopping.

As I already mentioned, the car crossed over the 1K mark with me AND.... (drum roll), it crossed over the 200K mile mark on the way back. This is the first car that I have ever owned with over 200K showing on the odometer - and it still runs like a banshee. I have decided I will be re-installing the DINAN chips - one for engine, one for transmission. I got them with the car. The car also has a shopping bag of so many parts on the way like cooling parts, brakes, etc.

Funny thing on the trip - actually it kinda upset me - Myself and a number of other drivers were in the fast lane wondering why the heck we were doing 60 MPH or less and who was the slow poke in front who was holding us up. To my utter astonishment - IT WAS AN IMOLA RED 740i SPORT, with a DINAN badge. I came up alongside the guy and instead of my usual glare for going slow in the fast lane, I honked, gave him a thumbs up as the car was gorgeous. What do you think happened?!?! The man totally ignored me. Oh well....

On a happier note, Frankie got a very good cleaning while in LA, the car wash place was incredibly thorough. Frankie also stopped by the Pasadena Rose Bowl in preparation for the upcoming Bimmerfest which I hope some of you will attend. Here is Frankie giving you all a Big German Hallo !!!

Her Big 200K Moment (Engine only has 90K since rebuild)

Post Car Wash pics - The new 275/ 40 rears look much better.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Great Job!!! :thumbup:Frankie does look Good! And seems happier too...for having such a good parent!

I feel sorry too when I see a nice bimmer driven buy somebody who does not have sympathy for other BMW drivers. Especially the E38. Some of them or just snobs...

About the cooling stuff I would change them. It's not worth to risk to over heat. It has around 90 K and an over heat will send it to junkyard..

This is a nice thread for the AC compressor : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525280&highlight=

Have fun at the bimmerfest event !

·
Registered
140 Posts
This can't be the same 740 I saw a post about that was not even running? Glad to see her on the road. She looks amazing.

The worst thing to me with some BMWs are the ones that have been "pimped". Makes me wanna cry every time I see a BMW that has been completely degraded. Then, you usually see those in the slow lane as well. O well I'm glad that there is a place for real BMW drivers on this forum :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The worst thing to me with some BMWs are the ones that have been "pimped". Makes me wanna cry every time I see a BMW that has been completely degraded.
I feel exactly the same thing...they are killing the german soul from it...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello There -

Great Job!!! :thumbup:Frankie does look Good! And seems happier too...for having such a good parent!

I feel sorry too when I see a nice bimmer driven buy somebody who does not have sympathy for other BMW drivers. Especially the E38. Some of them or just snobs...

About the cooling stuff I would change them. It's not worth to risk to over heat. It has around 90 K and an over heat will send it to junkyard..

This is a nice thread for the AC compressor : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525280&highlight=

Have fun at the bimmerfest event !
Thanks for the compliment. Frankie is coming along. There is a big basket of parts on its way here for Frankie, so I guess i will change out those parts. How about the radiator? I had no plans to replace that yet.

Thanks for the thread link, I will check that out. Apparently, it is a common occurrence with these cars.

This can't be the same 740 I saw a post about that was not even running? Glad to see her on the road. She looks amazing.

The worst thing to me with some BMWs are the ones that have been "pimped". Makes me wanna cry every time I see a BMW that has been completely degraded. Then, you usually see those in the slow lane as well. O well I'm glad that there is a place for real BMW drivers on this forum :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Yes Sir! This is the very same car. Thanks for the compliment on it, I am kinda proud of the work done so far. There will be more work on the car. And don't worry, Xhibit will not be "pimpin out my ride" :)

I will keep everyone updated on progress.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's great that you had a good time with it and that you brought it back to it's natural habitat on the highway. These cars are great at higher speeds.

As far as changing parts, I would do the fan clutch at least, if nothing else. I've heard stories of fan clutches going bad, getting stuck, and then the plastic fan exploding and sending shrapnel in every direction damaging or destroying the hood, radiator hoses, MAF, and anything else the pieces contact. The fan can't handle moving at the same RPM as the motor or else it will explode, and the fan clutch never lets the fan move that fast unless it gets stuck and stops working. I wouldn't worry about anything else in the cooling system unless it started leaking or stopped working.

The A/C compressor on most cars will work intermittently if there is a low charge of freon. You can step out of the car and look at the compressor to see if the clutch is cutting it on and off, and if it is, chances are you have low freon.

Some other random information about your car:

The 1995 models have taller gears in the rear end and you have a 3.15 rear diff (same as sport model) as opposed to the 2.93 in the 1996 and up 740, and the 2.82 in the 750. The taller the gear, the faster the motor will get into the powerband, and the faster the car will take off.

The 1995 740 models up to 12/1996 had the heavier and stronger 5HP30 transmission used in the V12, than the later models that had the 5HP24, and you usually don't hear of these transmission having issues as they were overbuilt for the V8.

I've heard that the 1995 models did not have the moonroof or the map lights on the front dome lights, but I've heard that you can install these if you find a donor car in the junkyard or somewhere.

The M60 motors used in the 1995 model had a red line on the RPM range at 6000 as opposed to the 5700 red line of the 1996 model and up M62 RPM range. Not sure why, but your motor will rev higher than the later models.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Again -

I would not worry for the radiator. If it will leak, you are backed up by the level sensor so you will know before the engine goes hot.
Thanks - so far so good, no leaks indicated. I will replace the parts I already order for peace of mind if nothing else.

That's great that you had a good time with it and that you brought it back to it's natural habitat on the highway. These cars are great at higher speeds.

As far as changing parts, I would do the fan clutch at least, if nothing else. I've heard stories of fan clutches going bad, getting stuck, and then the plastic fan exploding and sending shrapnel in every direction damaging or destroying the hood, radiator hoses, MAF, and anything else the pieces contact. The fan can't handle moving at the same RPM as the motor or else it will explode, and the fan clutch never lets the fan move that fast unless it gets stuck and stops working. I wouldn't worry about anything else in the cooling system unless it started leaking or stopped working.

The A/C compressor on most cars will work intermittently if there is a low charge of freon. You can step out of the car and look at the compressor to see if the clutch is cutting it on and off, and if it is, chances are you have low freon.

Some other random information about your car:

The 1995 models have taller gears in the rear end and you have a 3.15 rear diff (same as sport model) as opposed to the 2.93 in the 1996 and up 740, and the 2.82 in the 750. The taller the gear, the faster the motor will get into the powerband, and the faster the car will take off.

The 1995 740 models up to 12/1996 had the heavier and stronger 5HP30 transmission used in the V12, than the later models that had the 5HP24, and you usually don't hear of these transmission having issues as they were overbuilt for the V8.

I've heard that the 1995 models did not have the moonroof or the map lights on the front dome lights, but I've heard that you can install these if you find a donor car in the junkyard or somewhere.

The M60 motors used in the 1995 model had a red line on the RPM range at 6000 as opposed to the 5700 red line of the 1996 model and up M62 RPM range. Not sure why, but your motor will rev higher than the later models.
Thank You Very Much for this post. That explains a lot more about this car. I have felt it takes off very well from stand still. It seems it is a car worth keeping with all it's features. I can always update it along the way. One thing I miss is heated seats, but I can live without it I guess. The car flies once it gets going and the transmission acts very similar to the 540's transmission in that it is quite intuitive and downshifts very responsively.... it jumps when you need to overtake. And yes - it is most definitely a happy revving motor. I am still contemplating if I should install the DINAN ECU and Transmission chips I got with it.

There is indeed no moonroof in this car, nice to know it can be upgraded though - I might look into that in the future.

I really think it is a case of low freon as I can tell from the car's idling that the compressor is kicking on. I will have a shop check and refresh the freon and see what happens.

The one thing that puzzles me is the off throttle idle characteristics. When I am doing around 45 - 55 MPH, if I take my foot of the gas - the car literally goes down to a 500+ RPM idle and burbles, almost like an erratic idle. I will see how this changes with new plugs, fuel filter and air filter.

Thanks again,

Michael

·
Proud ***** of se7en
34 Posts

The 1995 740 models up to 12/1996 had the heavier and stronger 5HP30 transmission used in the V12, than the later models that had the 5HP24, and you usually don't hear of these transmission having issues as they were overbuilt for the V8.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, can the rear and tranny can be put in a 2001 for any added benefit?

sent from the EVO baby!

·
Registered
766 Posts
bigg fella, I honestly don't know. But if I had a 2001 model, I wouldn't go through the hassle of doing it.

If I wanted to go to a higher gear in the rear end, I'd go with a more drastic change than from the 2.93 to the 3.15. I'd go aftermarket and get a 3.46 as this would be a more noticable change as far as performance, but if I had to choose between a 2.93 and a 3.15, I'd go with the taller gears. I don't see why you couldn't swap a 95 model differential in a later model, but BMW may have changed little things like the mounting brackets when they changed to the 2.93 differential, I really don't know.

As for the tranny swap, I would not do it if I had a newer model. You would have to buy a 5HP30 and a driveshaft to go with it. Then when everything was installed, you would have to find a way to get the transmission computer from the 5HP30 to work with the ECU on the 2001 model since these transmissions are electronically controlled. If you wanted to beef up the transmission, I'd look at the kit from IPT transmissions for the 5HP24, as that would probably make that transmission stronger than a stock 5HP30. You wouldn't save any time or money doing the swap, as opposed to just replacing a blown transmission with another one, and your transmission may never fail while you own the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts