Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to get into my car today, and the outer door handle came off in my hand. Clean break in the metal. I don't have a garage, and it's winter here finally (natch), so it's -13 degrees celsius today.

What am I looking at to get this fixed? I gather from previous searches the part doesn't cost too much, but how long should it take to do, or, more importantly, how many hours at the shop?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought a used door handle off of e-bay, already painted black, for $25. The install took about an hour since I had never taken the door handle off before. This is not difficult, it just takes a little time. Good luck

·
looking for a car
2,576 Posts
I bought a used door handle off of e-bay, already painted black, for $25. The install took about an hour since I had never taken the door handle off before. This is not difficult, it just takes a little time. Good luck
how do you take the outer door handle off. ive been trying to figure this out for a while and never suceeded. please inform me of this DIY because i need to fix my interior lock actuator

·
Registered
62 Posts
you have to take off the door panel and remove the side airbag. Then you can get to the back side of the outer door handle. It has a "slide lock" mechanism that holds it in place. Once you "slide" the mechanism, you can remove the whole outer door handle assembly.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given that I don't have a garage, I'm having it done at the local indy, who have done this a lot from what they were saying. They're ordering in the part, painting it, and will install it. I'd do it myself, but time and workspace are short right now. In the summer, it might be a different story.

For now, I'm going in through the passenger door, popping the driver's door, getting out and going around.

Funny, this never happened with the "cheap" plastic door handles on any other cars I've had.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Funny, this never happened with the "cheap" plastic door handles on any other cars I've had.
You hit the nail on the head - "plastic" vs "metal" for the BMW. Because the part is cast from pot metal it is extremely brittle and the cold doesn't help. You would think metal is the way to go, and it is if stamped not cast but....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts