BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this bluish greenish neon color, I think it is freon when my car is leftover night in the garage. Doesn***8217;t happen every day it***8217;s almost randomly and it***8217;s not a lot. What typically causes this? Is it a leak in a hose? But if so wouldnt it leak every day?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,571 Posts
Not freon. Freon boils and evaporates way below room temperature. Maybe leak detector. Maybe PAG oil. The compressor shaft seal is lubricated by a tiny leak that should be mostly oil. That***8217;s the only place that refrigerant should be able to escape.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it something that needs to be fixed right away? Why does it only happen once a while? Noticed it maybe once or twice a week and randomly.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,571 Posts
If you still have your belly pans in place then you don***8217;t know how much is spilling onto the highway. You may have a leak in your AC. BMW***8217;s allowable leak rate IIRC is an ounce per year and your charge is 1.58 lbm. Freon.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
When I called the shop and told them the color of the liquid that was on the ground (I thought it was my coolant leaking Because I recently got my coolant filled), they said it's not coolant. They said that bluish and greenish color is Freon. But sounds like you said Freon evaporates so it cannot be it.

They said these leaks won't damage my car. Just the AC might not be as cold but didn't make it sound concerning.

So is this something that happens once a while and could go away? Or does it get worse and I should take it in and get it checked out?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
I would not take it to that shop, they are either idiots or telling you what you want to hear. Bet $100 YOU said 'freon' first.

;)

After we figure out what it is, THEN it is time to ask "is it ok not to fix it"

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
Tell you what.... google 'what color is freon'. Tell us what you find.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
freon is a colorless odorless gas.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,243 Posts
There is also UV Dye additive for coolant leaks. Your car may have had that put in long ago and now it's leaking out. At least one of those dye on the market looks like the color you are describing. BMW (eventually) used it on the first radiator in my wife's X5 to find the leak while it was still under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts