Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 5sp 330Ci is suffering from two problems that I have seen mentioned numerous times here. However, I have yet to see definitive results from BMW (both from my dealerhip as well as BMWNA) in an attempt to resolve these problems. I am scheduling another service appointment in an attempt to resolve this issue, but before doing so, I was hoping somebody here had specific SI numbers and/or contact at BMWNA that I could leverage. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

1. Stalling Issue:

When approaching a rolling-stop (i.e. pulling into a parking spot, navigating a parking garage, etc.), the engine will dip to ~500rpms, then subsequently die. Clutch is fully depressed, brake is applied, and no throttle. This reproduces most frequently when making a slight turn, as well as when the A/C is cranking away. I had my car checked out by Hendrick BMW (here in Charlotte, NC), but was given the standard "complaint noted, could not reproduce" party line.

2. Second gear "pop-out" Issue:

When shifting to second gear, sometimes it does not fully engage and would pop-out to neutral while I'm accelarating (and subsequent engine over-rev, etc.)

·
Registered
590 Posts
scottos said:
2. Second gear "pop-out" Issue:

When shifting to second gear, sometimes it does not fully engage and would pop-out to neutral while I'm accelarating (and subsequent engine over-rev, etc.)
#2 is a fairly common problem that I've heard about from this board. In fact, it happened to me today as I was going around a very tight corner at about 45 MPH (the second time it has happened).

So far I haven't heard a solution for this one....

--gary

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
The second issue has caused me to almost need to run home and change my pants, as the subsequent "BOOM!" the car produces is enough to scare the shite out of just about anyone!

The only cure for that is to be firm (not overly firm mind you) with your shift. I've only done it twice, but I've caught the shifter sort-of-in gear before the thing could escape the gate, and that was always just my own damn fault. This is what happens when you are completely absorbed in the "driving experience" I guess... you forget about the small yet important items like shifting properly. :)

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
gotta be totally sure that the shifter is fully in the right gear/gate. there were times when i shifted and the gear only went in partially. i knew that and quickly pulled it out and put it back in again (w/o letting the clutch go of course).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used to have a 2000 Corvette that did the same thing (all C5 manuals do it.) It's because they use 2 syncros in second gear and you had to make sure you firmly engaged 2nd. Otherwise, you would not fully get through both syncros and it would pop out of gear. Does anyone know if the 330Ci tranny uses multiple syncros on 2nd gear? I would venture to guess it does since the symptoms sound exactly like the C5's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
To mashuri -

I used to have a 6speed C5 and never encountered the"pop-out" issue. I must admit that I don't remember reading about it on the Corvette websites either. But, when I attended Bragg-Smith driving school (the Corvette school), I did drive a hardtop that popped out of third as I was accelerating out of a corner. I tried to replicate the circumstances for an instructor and of course, couldn't.
However, with the BMW I'd guess that the car hasn't been firmly placed into gear. In spite of all the great press over the years about BMW shifters, I liked the action on my C5 better. Admittedly the BMW is smoother, but not as precise. Of course, that's just my opinion. Please don't flame me. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: To mashuri -

plugot said:
I used to have a 6speed C5 and never encountered the"pop-out" issue. I must admit that I don't remember reading about it on the Corvette websites either. But, when I attended Bragg-Smith driving school (the Corvette school), I did drive a hardtop that popped out of third as I was accelerating out of a corner. I tried to replicate the circumstances for an instructor and of course, couldn't.
However, with the BMW I'd guess that the car hasn't been firmly placed into gear. In spite of all the great press over the years about BMW shifters, I liked the action on my C5 better. Admittedly the BMW is smoother, but not as precise. Of course, that's just my opinion. Please don't flame me. :D
If you post a question about it in www.corvetteforum.com you will see many responses confirming that it's a common issue. I agree that the C5 tranny is excellent however. You just have to be deliberate with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts