Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
I'm half joking, but also half serious. People gotta brighten up jeez.
However, the N54 335i does have a lot more potential problems than a 328i.
You have to admit. I'm not saying that every 335i out there will have problems.
What I'm trying to get at is, there is a lot more to go wrong on a 335i than a 328i.
You cannot argue with that.
Actually, it's very easy to argue that point, on part count alone. :D The N52 has Valvetronic, which the N54 doesn't (the N55 does - main diff other than turbo count). That means that an N52 has at least 37 parts that the N54 doesn't have - a much simpler and less problem design.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Actually, it's very easy to argue that point, on part count alone. :D The N52 has Valvetronic, which the N54 doesn't (the N55 does - main diff other than turbo count). That means that an N52 has at least 37 parts that the N54 doesn't have - a much simpler and less problem design.
The Valvetronic is never really an issue in the N51/N52 motors.
However, just the extra turbos, charge pipe, HPFP and carbon build up because of direct injection is a much bigger problem.
These things always go out.
The Valvetronic system rarely has problems...

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
The Valvetronic is never really an issue in the N51/N52 motors.
However, just the extra turbos, charge pipe, HPFP and carbon build up because of direct injection is a much bigger problem.
These things always go out.
The Valvetronic system rarely has problems...
Looking at the F3x forums, I beg to differ.
If you search the e9x forum (this forum) for "vvt motor" you get 39 hits. If you search for "valvetronic motor" you get 199 hits. While not in "turbo" or "hpfp" league, that is not insignificant. Guess how many such hits there would be if the N52 wasn't a Valvetronic motor? Oh, there would be ZERO. You can't ignore the problems complexity causes.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Looking at the F3x forums, I beg to differ.
If you search the e9x forum (this forum) for "vvt motor" you get 39 hits. If you search for "valvetronic motor" you get 199 hits. While not in "turbo" or "hpfp" league, that is not insignificant. Guess how many such hits there would be if the N52 wasn't a Valvetronic motor? Oh, there would be ZERO. You can't ignore the problems complexity causes.
You have to understand.
There are WAY more E9x 328 than 335 out there.
With that said.
There are still way less " Valvetronic hits" than "Turbo" or "HPFP hits" or "Charge pipe hits".
And guess how many such hits there would be if there isn't a 335? ZERO.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
You have to understand.
There are WAY more E9x 328 than 335 out there.
With that said.
There are still way less " Valvetronic hits" than "Turbo" or "HPFP hits" or "Charge pipe hits".
And guess how many such hits there would be if there isn't a 335? ZERO.
*YOU* need to understand. Go back and look at my post again: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10920505&postcount=21

Notice that little smiley face? What do you think it means? You're taking yourself way too seriously.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
e90 more of a cruiser starting to get up to the size of the old
5 series. More complex engine and electronics.

E46 smaller better at handling on mountain roads feels smaller
and a bit tighter more tossable. Less complex engine no runflats, a real spare
tire no electric water pump no battery registration at least on the
one I had. More BMW like in the traditional sense.
Not as prone to head gasket leaks or vcg leaks due to aluminum bolts.
No electric steering lock which can fail and cause you to need to remove and
service or replace the upper steering column.

a actual dip stick.
Less complex engine.

Also when comparing handling you must compare body type and sport suspension
against each other . For instance coupe with sport suspension and staggered tires.

Do a advanced search with e46 in the header there are many threads on this.
The motor on a 328 e90 is pretty reliable except for the water pump.
I had an e46 for 8 years no problems replaced the battery once 5k oil changes that's it.
E91 bit me with the steering column lock that's it so far.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm half joking, but also half serious. People gotta brighten up jeez.
However, the N54 335i does have a lot more potential problems than a 328i.
You have to admit. I'm not saying that every 335i out there will have problems.
In fact, I have a friend who has minimal problems with his 09 335i. 98K on it.
However, my cousin who bought her 07 335i new spent more time repairing it than driving it.
Her HPFP went out twice. Charge pipe leaked at 70k. Then to top it off she spent 1k on injectors. Oh yeah and the water pump of course. But that's on all BMW's.
Then finally the wastegate started to rattle.
Sold it at 120K.
She basically had every problem a 335i can have.
What I'm trying to get at is, there is a lot more to go wrong on a 335i than a 328i.
You cannot argue with that.
However, the 335i is a great performing car with room for tuning and mods.
No arguments there.
Like I said. I was half joking and half serious. Go easy on the sodium. ;)
Joke as you wish.

"Potential problems." Last I checked, a BMW is pretty consistent on needing parts and maintenance. This isn't new to any seasoned owner. If one seeks maintenance free then buy a Honda Accord.

My 08 335i E93 had very few problems, but all ones that were anticipated/expected.

Yes, HPFP was an issue. Key word, was. Issue resolved a long time ago.

Charge pipe will begin to leak. Buy a metal pipe and issue solved. Not an expensive fix/mod.

Injectors were covered under recall for specific units.

My wastegate issue was resolved after walnut blast to remove carbon buildup and a gentle cleaning of it. Turbos are known to consume themselves over time. It's a wearing part. If your car is/was abused then you'll be replacing parts sooner.

My point is and remains, a 335i delivers a substantially better driving experience than a 328. If one can find a quality used 335i, and they want to experience the thrill of DRIVING a BMW, then a 328 just won't cut it.

I'm sure many 328 owners enjoy their BMW ownership experience. For me, a 328 is underpowered and too anemic. It has zero passing capability and to me, I need passing capability to avoid poor drivers/distracted drivers.

To each their own on which BMWs to buy/own. But to extrapolate your personal experience as the de facto standard for not owning a 335 is shortsighted.

Yup, BMW sells a sh|t-ton of 328s. They've done a remarkable job at selling a mass-market luxury car. It's just not what I seek to own or drive.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
My wastegate issue was resolved after walnut blast to remove carbon buildup and a gentle cleaning of it. Turbos are known to consume themselves over time. It's a wearing part. If your car is/was abused then you'll be replacing parts sooner.

My point is and remains, a 335i delivers a substantially better driving experience than a 328. If one can find a quality used 335i, and they want to experience the thrill of DRIVING a BMW, then a 328 just won't cut it.

It has zero passing capability and to me, I need passing capability to avoid poor drivers/distracted drivers.
You are correct, cars need maintenance and things like turbo chargers are a consumable part. Also, for everyone to keep in mind, you're buying a USED car. It will need maintenance. If you want maintenance and "free fixing", buy a new one.

I disagree with your 328i statements though. I have a 328i and I find it quite thrilling to drive. Yes, it doesn't have 300+ HP, but so ? That, in and of itself, doesn't make the car non-thrilling to drive. The 328i is still a great car with plenty of power, luxury, and impeccable driving experience. I've owned almost as many cars in my life as my age....... So this isn't coming from someone who has never owned a "nicer" car before.

I also disagree with zero passing ability. If you want to talk passing ability, drive a Smart Fortwo. I live in an area where the majority of highways are single lanes. I know all about passing. The 328i (the E90 specifically) has no problem passing quickly and safely. Is it BETTER in a 335i ? Sure. But just because it's better in a 335i doesn't make it suck in a 328i.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are correct, cars need maintenance and things like turbo chargers are a consumable part. Also, for everyone to keep in mind, you're buying a USED car. It will need maintenance. If you want maintenance and "free fixing", buy a new one.

I disagree with your 328i statements though. I have a 328i and I find it quite thrilling to drive. Yes, it doesn't have 300+ HP, but so ? That, in and of itself, doesn't make the car non-thrilling to drive. The 328i is still a great car with plenty of power, luxury, and impeccable driving experience. I've owned almost as many cars in my life as my age....... So this isn't coming from someone who has never owned a "nicer" car before.

I also disagree with zero passing ability. If you want to talk passing ability, drive a Smart Fortwo. I live in an area where the majority of highways are single lanes. I know all about passing. The 328i (the E90 specifically) has no problem passing quickly and safely. Is it BETTER in a 335i ? Sure. But just because it's better in a 335i doesn't make it suck in a 328i.
I fully respect your position and reply.

As I stated in my previous post:

"To each their own on which BMWs to buy/own. But to extrapolate your personal experience as the de facto standard for not owning a 335 is shortsighted.

Yup, BMW sells a sh|t-ton of 328s. They've done a remarkable job at selling a mass-market luxury car. It's just not what I seek to own or drive."

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yup, BMW sells a sh|t-ton of 328s. They've done a remarkable job at selling a mass-market luxury car. It's just not what I seek to own or drive."
Yep, they sure do sell a lot of them, that's for sure. And don't get me wrong, I'd love to own a 335i as well :thumbup: It just wouldn't be practical as a DD for me.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I'm sure many 328 owners enjoy their BMW ownership experience. For me, a 328 is underpowered and too anemic. It has zero passing capability and to me, I need passing capability to avoid poor drivers/distracted drivers.
Stomp the pedal then

·
Registered
75 Posts
You're better off with a Camry than a 328 if that's your comparo.

3.5-Liter V6 DOHC 24-Valve D-4S Dual Injection with Dual VVT-i; 301 hp @ 6600 rpm; 267 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm

The Camry will eat your 328. Enjoy.

I'll stick with my 335is. See ya in my rear view mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I love my 335i cabrio. And I actually wanted a 328i Cabrio but the price on the 335 was too good to pass up. I do love the power in the 335 but I highly doubt it's necessary for us. And I'm expecting more issues to arise in the 335 than a 328. That's just the cost of owning a bimmer. I've lived with this issue for my pst 10 BMWs. It's expected.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You're better off with a Camry than a 328 if that's your comparo.

3.5-Liter V6 DOHC 24-Valve D-4S Dual Injection with Dual VVT-i; 301 hp @ 6600 rpm; 267 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm

The Camry will eat your 328. Enjoy.

I'll stick with my 335is. See ya in my rear view mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
And a Hyundai V8 genesis g80 can eat your 335is for breakfast, lunch and dinner too.
What is your damn point?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I love my 335i cabrio. And I actually wanted a 328i Cabrio but the price on the 335 was too good to pass up. I do love the power in the 335 but I highly doubt it's necessary for us. And I'm expecting more issues to arise in the 335 than a 328. That's just the cost of owning a bimmer. I've lived with this issue for my pst 10 BMWs. It's expected.
Perfect example of someone who understands :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
And a Hyundai V8 genesis g80 can eat your 335is for breakfast, lunch and dinner too.
What is your damn point?
Better yet, a non-turbo Tesla Model S P90 will eat all those cars up.

What's the point of that argument tho :dunno: Good question.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts