BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

FRM Footwell Module - Defective - BMW Warranty Extension - Multiple Electrical Errors

36356 Views 55 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  TimMcD
Wanting to share some of my experiences and solutions with the forum.
I currently own the following BMW products and am a DIY person....

2011 X5 35D
2011 335D
2011 335D
2010 Mini Cooper S

My X5 air suspension started sagging overnight due to airbags leaking. I replaced with Suncore airbags - made in America $64 each. Received them in about 4 days worked great. Installation took about 30 min.

My suspension compressor blew the 40 amp fuse. I replaced it. Fuse was in wheel well fuse block. Compressor worked great, but I got multiple errors which included the following:
Passenger Restraint system malfunction
Pano roof would not operate
Map lights and courtesy lights not functional
Head lamps in auto mode did not function
No power to center console 12V aux outlet

Looked and checked all fuses, no blown fused found.
Went into dealership and spoke with service advisor who then spoke with technician.
They said this is common problem related to FRM module or Footwell Module and BMW has now recognized this defect to certain serial numbers. Mine was included. Warranty has been extended by BMW to affected serial numbers.
Cost to replace would have been $3,000.
Coverage is limited until 125,000 miles.
They were getting a lot of FRM failures when people replaced or disconnected their battteries.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Good to know thanks!

Drives me nuts that they set mileage limits. Like after 125k its wear and tear and lets just forget that the module is defective to begin with? Bad design is bad design, should be replaced regardless of mileage.
I get penalized because i drive my car more than the next guy so i dont get the warranty when the defective part finally fails on mine after the same number of years but different mileage? Pshhh, BMW BS! :mad:
Will you post the paperwork or a traceable link please?
[ ... ]They said this is common problem related to FRM module or Footwell Module and BMW has now recognized this defect to certain serial numbers. Mine was included. Warranty has been extended by BMW to affected serial numbers. [ ... ]
Ahh, thanks. There it is. Will we get USPS notification, I wonder?
It was my understanding this was a FRM software issue and it was corrected with an update in March 2014 or so. So if your software is up to date this should not occur.
Vehicle scheduled to be fixed today.
I will update the thread when I get it back repaired and I'll ask about the update....
Interested to know too... This happened to me when I hooked up ISTA. Was replaced under this extended warranty. I am curious to know if it can happen again.
My vin is covered. Never had a failure.

So far this looks like a 'reimbursement program', not a 'safety recall'. I wouldnt expect BMW to notify anyone, as there is no failure mode that leads to an unsafe vehicle (just a dead car)

When I change the battery I will need to be reckless in reattaching the cables.....
Ard, I think it's an extended warranty like the other components in my list...
Any idea if this was included in any SIB and did you have to have an issue to get the upgrade? I have the complete history of my X and I don't see where the FRM software was updated but it's included in the extended warranty.

Btw, thanks for your support on this forum. :thumbup:
It was my understanding this was a FRM software issue and it was corrected with an update in March 2014 or so. So if your software is up to date this should not occur.
Yes, agree. Someone was wondering if they'd receive notification- my point is that they only notice you on a recall, not a warranty or 'reimbursement program'
Ard, I think it's an extended warranty like the other components in my list...
I received USPS notice of the front propellor shaft warranty extension. And no other so far.
Current E70 Extended Warranty Coverage Items

Hi All,

My first posting, but many thanks to all of you for helpful info. I was at a general indy shop getting a rear suspension airbag replaced along with the compressor. The tech unplugged the battery to do the work, so the footwell module died when they reauthorized the battery. They wanted $800+ to replace it. I got on here and found out that it was warranted by BMW.

No, they don't notify you of anything short of a recall. While at BMW I got for no cost: 1) Footwell or FRM Module. 2) Hot film mass airflow sensor. 3) Primary DEF tank replacement. BMW said parts alone were $3600 in DFW, Texas.

They mentioned the CV shafts, but apparently you only know they are bad when they fall out of the vehicle.

My mileage is 106,000.
This in not fair at all. My x5 has 158k on the clock so this recall will not apply to me. I'm scared to messed with the battery now.
There's a fuel pump recall as well but they will not replace it until it fails and leave you stranded!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
It's been reported that coding the entire vehicle to the latest integration level will prevent FRM failure from battery disconnect. Might be a worthwhile ~$175 investment.
This in not fair at all. My x5 has 158k on the clock so this recall will not apply to me. I'm scared to messed with the battery now.
There's a fuel pump recall as well but they will not replace it until it fails and leave you stranded!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
My friend recently bought a 2013 X5 35i and his warranty vehicle inquiry contained a note about the FRM warranty (attached).

Attachments

What does "coding the entire vehicle to latest integration" mean?
It's been reported that coding the entire vehicle to the latest integration level will prevent FRM failure from battery disconnect. Might be a worthwhile ~$175 investment.
Have dealer program the vehicle to the latest software. BMW frequently updates firmware and updates are identified by integration level. This is an alpha-numeric string that often shows up on a service invoice. It's not clear if these FRM failures are due to a hardware or software problem. The latest firmware eliminates one possibility. If you get regular dealer service for Inspections, you are likely already updated.
What does "coding the entire vehicle to latest integration" mean?
considering they have had several revisions of this (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ZV43-USA-07-2011-E70N-BMW-X5_35iX&diagId=61_2167) ...
I think its a hardware problem they just can't get right.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.