BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....Thinking about coming back to BMW after a short stint at Lexus. I just miss the enjoyment of driving a true sports sedan with manual transmission. I've looked through the forum briefly and didn't notice too many quality complaint threads. Anything I should be aware of?

Also, planning on leasing this time around. I've seen some threads on lease rates - hopefully I can get a decent deal. Wish me luck and provide any pointers if you have any.

·
Super Moderator
8,060 Posts
The 335 has suffered from issues with the high pressure fuel pump. There's a recall and a sticky at the top of the page. I drive a 328 but if I could afford a 335 I wouldn't let the problems dissuade me. It's a great car with a fabulous engine. And the fuel pump has its own long warranty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 335 has suffered from issues with the high pressure fuel pump. There's a recall and a sticky at the top of the page. I drive a 328 but if I could afford a 335 I wouldn't let the problems dissuade me. It's a great car with a fabulous engine. And the fuel pump has its own long warranty.
I saw the fuel pump issue. I assume that new cars coming into the market that have a known problem with recall to fix will be delivered with the recall done but I'll confirm.

I did give up on owning cars for a while. I've went through a different car once every few years I guess leasing makes more sense for me. I also left BMW because of post-warranty issues so leasing resolves this concern as well.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,933 Posts
The hpfp problems seem to be pretty much resolved. It took them a while, but they got it done and they extended the warranty on the part to 10 years/100,000 miles (might be 120k).

The new 335 you would lease will have a different turbo system. It will have a twin scroll, single turbo. I find the throttle response much smoother with the new N55 engine. The N54, while great fun, was kind of an all or nothing proposition.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hpfp problems seem to be pretty much resolved. It took them a while, but they got it done and they extended the warranty on the part to 10 years/100,000 miles (might be 120k).

The new 335 you would lease will have a different turbo system. It will have a twin scroll, single turbo. I find the throttle response much smoother with the new N55 engine. The N54, while great fun, was kind of an all or nothing proposition.
I test drove an automatic transmission 335i xdrive. It was a fun car but I wish I could try out the manual. I'll do this before getting it.

By the way, how is the fit and finish on the car after some age? I HATE rattles and surprisingly the GS had these issues. For the reputation that Lexus built up, I was disappointed and it did impact the experience with a car close to 50k new. I had a Lexus before and it was rattle free. Hopefully they'll get back to where they were.

·
Super Moderator
8,060 Posts
I test drove an automatic transmission 335i xdrive. It was a fun car but I wish I could try out the manual. I'll do this before getting it.

By the way, how is the fit and finish on the car after some age? I HATE rattles and surprisingly the GS had these issues. For the reputation that Lexus built up, I was disappointed and it did impact the experience with a car close to 50k new. I had a Lexus before and it was rattle free. Hopefully they'll get back to where they were.
I now drive a 2011 e90 328i with 4000 miles on it but had a 2008 of the same model and at 40,000 miles it was still tight and squeak free.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,933 Posts
I now drive a 2011 e90 328i with 4000 miles on it but had a 2008 of the same model and at 40,000 miles it was still tight and squeak free.
Same here; pushing 77k miles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same here; pushing 77k miles.
I sold my 2002 330i Sport to get the Lexus and although that car had a rough suspension and no insulation for road noise, the interior didn't rattle or squeak. Really made me wonder how Lexus designed an interior that wasn't tight...baffles me.

Keep the comments coming.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts

I had a 1992 Lexus SC300 and that car felt like it was carved out of a solid block of steel and had no rattles after 125,000 miles.

I now have a 2007 335i convertible with sport suspension. The car is as quiet if not quieter than the Lexus and is rattle free after 30,000 miles. I think this says a lot about the build quality as the car takes quite a beating on the war torn roads of New York City,

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
Hi all....Thinking about coming back to BMW after a short stint at Lexus. I just miss the enjoyment of driving a true sports sedan with manual transmission. I've looked through the forum briefly and didn't notice too many quality complaint threads. Anything I should be aware of?

Also, planning on leasing this time around. I've seen some threads on lease rates - hopefully I can get a decent deal. Wish me luck and provide any pointers if you have any.
Yeppur:
  1. Decide about the runflats. New 3's have a decent ride in spite of RFT's, but PS2's still better.
  2. Chip it, and rip it! There is dramatically more 335i power available - check Burger Motorsports. On public roads, little chance of problems. You'll thrice bless yourself for doing this.
  3. Consider an E93 335i. Pretty good juju in the warm. Lovely motoring, no cowl shake. In fact, handles and runs beautifully. Ladies love it. Top up, it's a coupe. No knife can rip it like a soft top Audi. If you get it, you must have a SmartTop.
  4. Get an iPhone, the BMW interface, and the cradle. The last makes your ride convenient indeed.
  5. Sport package, please. One should not order a 3 without. God knows why it's optional at all.
  6. Comfort access for the pure pleasure of it.
  7. Heated seats AND steering wheel [cold weather pkg]. Maybe frivolous now, you'll quickly see how valuable they are.
  8. Forget Sirius, a vile service that should be scotched from the planet. Look to your iPhone.

It's a start. :thumbup:

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts

I've asked this before, but how do we know the problem is resolved? Seems like the latest design hasn't been on the road that long. I would not be shocked if we started seeing failures again in a few more years.

And, I'm not just saying that for the HPFP. Other problems that have supposedly been fixed (like the engine ticking on the N52s) may or may not have been resolved. That remains to be seen....

My skepticism comes from years of watching car companies announce that they have resolved a major issue, only to watch it rear it's head again (like the infamous issue with Acura trannys).

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
re: HPFP

I've asked this before, but how do we know the problem is resolved? Seems like the latest design hasn't been on the road that long. I would not be shocked if we started seeing failures again in a few more years.
The nature of the software fix is like a solar eclipse....hard to miss. Any engineer familiar with pump problems knows what that is; HPFP's not the problem, but a symptom.

What's shocking is that BMW took years to arrive at a conclusion many saw the first time they heard the problem described. Yow! :eek:uch:

·
Registered
115 Posts

And, I'm not just saying that for the HPFP. Other problems that have supposedly been fixed (like the engine ticking on the N52s) may or may not have been resolved. That remains to be seen....

My skepticism comes from years of watching car companies announce that they have resolved a major issue, only to watch it rear it's head again (like the infamous issue with Acura trannys).
I asked the same question to my SA last week when I dropped off the car for hpfp recall. He said "we haven't seen a single one come back" *knock on wood*.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I pulled the trigger and got the 335i xdrive. Excited to get it. Anyone know anything about performance stripe? It's the most hideous looking thing and apparently it was put on the car. I am hoping they can remove it or deal is dead.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
So I pulled the trigger and got the 335i xdrive. Excited to get it. Anyone know anything about performance stripe? It's the most hideous looking thing and apparently it was put on the car. I am hoping they can remove it or deal is dead.
Wha?

If an appliqué, easily removed.

Pics or....you know the drill....;)

·
Iwanna330Cic
927 Posts
What's "performance stripe"? :dunno:

Doug

·
smooth like butter
1,541 Posts

+1

it needs more time and data until we're out of the woods on this one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's "performance stripe"? :dunno:

Doug
My same reaction when I was notified by my SA. Apparently it was delivered with this stripe applied. As it turns out (thanks to google) it is more or less a sticker. It's only about $200. I'm going to ask them to remove before delivery. Why would BMW deliver a car unspoken for with this stripe - would seem like a special order.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wha?

If an appliqué, easily removed.

Pics or....you know the drill....;)
Haha, I don't have the car yet. I should take pics of my Lexus for posterity before I hand her over to BMW. I'll post some pics when I get it...after those hideous stripes are removed first though.

·
Registered
170 Posts

My 2008 335xi has 47k miles and has no rattles at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts