Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 416 Posts

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is Colorado's $50 annual EV registration fee sufficient to compensate for the lack of motor fuel excise tax payments from EV owners who use highways operated and maintained by CDOT? Should that induce any guilt?
I have three other gas burning cars and a gas burning snow blower, so nope.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
ha ..... well the petty bickering actually had some cleverness embedded ....... y***8217;all are putting some effort into it ......

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,545 Posts
One question for Voip: Do you find yourself missing the sound as you wound out that lovely inline 6? While I think the EV's silence could be great while commuting, I think I'd miss the aural bliss of wringing our 340 out on a 2 lane twisty.

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
One question for Voip: Do you find yourself missing the sound as you wound out that lovely inline 6? While I think the EV's silence could be great while commuting, I think I'd miss the aural bliss of wringing our 340 out on a 2 lane twisty.
I do miss the sound. The sound of the B58 engine, even with the stock exhaust is simply phenomenal. That startup sound, revving it. Sounds like a baby Ferrari. The Tesla whooshes around like a giant go-kart. Also satisfying but in a different sort of way.

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Another observation, it feels strangely satisfying to buy my first car in almost 30 years that was built by American workers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good review (and defense)! Please keep all of us updated with your experience. I once had what I believe at the time, prostate irritation from heavy hybrid use; it completely dissapeared after selling. My research showed some health issues from a few others that thought their ev had caused (headaches or nausea) - so please keep tabs on that. My hope is the shielding has improved, as I would love to haul some ass in what handles, as you say, better than a 3 series, and fills up overnight. How is it over 100?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I was really hoping this thread would not turn into what some seem to be trying to turn it into. I am interested in hearing a long time BMW persons experiences with the car, from living with it and driving it etc, from that perspective. Voip has been around here a long time (not so active recently) but was one of the people whose posts I used to look for "back in the day" to see his position on BMW stuff.

So, Voip, your take on this is very interesting to me, and hopefully you can ignore the people who attempt to be taking this in the tax / environmental direction as you stated that is not the primary reason you got the car. I also have solar on my house, and am also a net producer (I have 37 panels on my home actually), but did not do any of that for environmental reasons. It was strictly because it was cheaper for me, and I was in the top tier of electricity usage prior to solar every month anyway.

The other 3 series vs tesla threads are basically unreadable for me, as they devolved into something I am not interested in reading. Its interesting to me to hear your take on the lack of engine noise, because I feel like that would bother me a lot. I have ridden around in a model S of a co worker, and the interior does not seem to rise to the level of the cost of the car. Havent been in a model 3 yet, but there are a few at work (not people I eat lunch with at work though). What you describe as spartan, felt "cheap" to me, at least at the price point of the car.

I am also wary of the tesla build quailty reports, so interesting to see that yours was good. Curious what you would have done when you went to pick it up, if you had found fitment issues on doors or such that you really couldnt live with? Not sure how that would work on a tesla since its not like they can just easily slot you back in line to build another, etc.

Would you have considered the tesla if you were looking at it as your main vehicle? in my case, my wife and I have 1 car each, and it would replace one of our cars, not be "added to a stable of cars". I think that makes a difference, but curious to hear what your thoughts would have been if your BMW was your only car. Would you be happy with the tesla as your only vehicle or your primary one (with any other vehicle belonging to someone else in your household and only occasionally driven by you?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Long time BMW (~20 years) enthusiast here. Registered just to throw my two cents on this thread (I am active on n54tech & bimmerpost but only lurked here), . I currently have an E36 325i with track suspension setup and a E82 135i with Performance Suspension upgrade and many M3 suspension part upgrades. The 135i is tuned and is a beast especially with the upgraded suspension setup.

I was in the market for a new car and cross shopped between the M2 Competition and either latest or upcoming M3 and the Performance Model 3. Well, I test drove the Performance Model 3 and was just blown away. The hyper-low center of gravity and low polar moment of inertia (just a frunk where a heavy engine would be) and insanely quick, smooth and silent acceleration just threw a curve-ball to everything I knew about sport sedans & performance cars. The car is simply a beast and absolutely out performs anything BMW has to offer today. After a few days of taking it up my favorite mountain twisty roads with very spirited driving I'm absolutely convinced of this. I would most likely need to go to a Porsche Cayman to beat the handling aspects of this car but even that wouldn't have the instantaneous power & torque of this car.

It was hard to leave the BMW family and enter the unknown of Tesla startup and build quality issues, but frankly the product is just too good and wouldn't leave my mind and eventually I decided I had to have it.

Order was placed and now having lived with it for a couple of weeks I'm more impressed than ever. I can say I was very hesitant on the ultra minimalist interior but now I absolutely love it. For me this is very much an iPhone moment - when a new product suddenly makes everything else seem outdated and old.

I have a lot of BMW enthusiasts in my social circle, go to BMW CCA events. I give out demo rides to anyone that asks. One of my friends who is as long of a BMW enthusiast as me (a driving instructor for our local BMW CCA) was so impressed he ended up ordering a Performance Model 3 and now selling his M3.

My 2011 135i which I absolutely love (esp. with suspension work) will be going up for sale soon. I'll be keeping my E36 325i (for now) when I feel like driving a stick shift but I have a feeling it may not end up getting much use.

Tesla has a ways to go in the customer service, delivery, and production parts of their company. Especially right now, they are having major growing pains. But I can say, the car is phenomenal and so far has been worth the hassle of the current delivery process and the bit of risk I'm taking with service and potential issues of a new car model.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I do miss the sound. The sound of the B58 engine, even with the stock exhaust is simply phenomenal. That startup sound, revving it. Sounds like a baby Ferrari. The Tesla whooshes around like a giant go-kart. Also satisfying but in a different sort of way.
I've thought about the sound aspect a lot. I LOVE the way both of my BMWs sound. The old 325i & the N54 engine of my 135i.

In our love of the sound is Pavlovian conditioning. Given the way I feel about my Performance Model 3 I now LOVE the sound of the motor whine spooling up as I accelerate. So smooth and with no breaks caused by shifting. It's just so futuristic.

More and more I'm viewing the sound of my Bimmers to be an anachronism.. it's starting to lose the appeal.

We'll see how far that goes, but as someone who was worried that losing the sound would not make it as fun - I can say the kind of fun the Tesla gives really starts warping your perception of how you associate sound / noise with driving and fun.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I drove the Jaguar I-Pace and it has an artificial ‘Star Wars’ type sound effect when accelerating. Sounds naff but I actually loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Power/speed wise there is no comparison between the 340xi and the Model 3 with dual motors. Both cars show similar 0-60 and 1/4 mile times (4.5 seconds and 12.7 seconds approximately). However, with the BMW you only achieve these times with sport+ mode enabled and in more or less perfect conditions. With the Tesla you squeeze the accelerator and the car simply takes off like a rocket... instantaneously. Turbo lag isn't "almost" nonexistent. It is nonexistent. The feeling of thrust is similar to what you feel in a very large 400+ horsepower V8 car like a Corvette but the responsiveness just doesn't have any comparison in the world of gas burning cars.

And there it is.

Most folks want to be environmentally responsible, shucks they want to be alotta things. But like J.P. Morgan said: "People do things for a reason. And the real reason."

Dude....you ID'd the heart of it....

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I am also wary of the tesla build quailty reports, so interesting to see that yours was good. Curious what you would have done when you went to pick it up, if you had found fitment issues on doors or such that you really couldnt live with? Not sure how that would work on a tesla since its not like they can just easily slot you .
I would have made a snap judgement on getting them to issue me a due bill for repairs before taking delivery or I would have asked for a new VIN. It would have taken pretty serious issues for me to request a new vin.

Would you have considered the tesla if you were looking at it as your main vehicle? in my case, my wife and I have 1 car each, and it would replace one of our cars, not be "added to a stable of cars". I think that makes a difference, but curious to hear what your thoughts would have been if your BMW was your only car. Would you be happy with the tesla as your only vehicle or your primary one (with any other vehicle belonging to someone else in your household and only occasionally driven by you?
I would be fine with the Tesla as my primary driver. It has all wheel drive and should do great in the snow. It just got a 5 star rating in every category and subcategory of crash testing so I know it is safe for my family.

I would prefer to have at least one gas burner in the garage as I think in a major disaster scenario gas will be easier to get than electricity.

I would not consider a Tesla as my sole or main transport if I lived hours from a service center as Tesla is terrible about letting third parties repair their cars.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Excellent review, enjoyed reading it! Considered a Tesla S but ordered a 2019 G30 instead because I don't drive enough to reap real financial benefits from driving electric. I had other issues with the S, its sterile cabin, windows that don't fully go down, touchscreen everything. On one hand I was impressed, on the other, it seemed like a giant iPad on 4 wheels. Big premium over a 540i cost so I'm going ICE another round. Best of luck with you Tesla 3 and remember, the province of trolls is envy and ignorance.

·
6 RINGS
8,422 Posts
Good write up. How long do you plan on keeping it? Interested to see how the quality holds up over the years.

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Good write up. How long do you plan on keeping it? Interested to see how the quality holds up over the years.

Will depend on a number of factors. Ideally I would keep it for 6-7 years and allow the technology to continue to mature. I would greatly look forward to a re-designed model at that time that has full self driving, a slightly more compliant suspension and a 500 mile battery.

That some-day car might not even be a Tesla, I think the market is going to start to seriously heat up in about 18 months when actual competition to Tesla shows up.

21 - 40 of 416 Posts