BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not enough negative camber corded my A3S04s in only 6 autocrosses.

I'm going to try Kumho V710s this time. They're something like $40/tire cheaper than A3S05s, and everything I've read said they'll last a little longer.

Had to go from 245/40/17 to 245/45/17, however. Not too excited about taller gearing, but that's all I could get in the Kumhos.

Fitament still looks good... I shouldn't rub.

I drilled out the alignment pin on my strut tower brace, that should give me another half degree of negative camber. I still need to adjust the camber bolt in the rear...

·
10,856 Posts
V710s absolutely PWN Hoosiers.

·
10,856 Posts
KrisL said:
I hear they pwn the S04s, but I hear the S05s are very close...
Yes. So you can laugh about how they last 3-4 times as long.

·
Registered
678 Posts
KrisL said:
Had to go from 245/40/17 to 245/45/17, however. Not too excited about taller gearing, but that's all I could get in the Kumhos.
Is that for the front too? Will either of those sizes fit the front? I thought they were too wide.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cenotaph said:
Is that for the front too? Will either of those sizes fit the front? I thought they were too wide.
The same all around. Kosei K1 17x8.5 et40 wheels.

You can fit 255s all around on a stock E46. Guy I autocross with has 255 street tires all around on BBS wheels.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I’m not sure if you can run 18s in your class or not, but a 245/35/18 A3S05 would probably be a bit quicker then a 245/45/17 V710. The V710s have more grip then the S05s, but with the taller gearing and extra sidewall flex the S05 might end up being quicker. :dunno:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy said:
I'm not sure if you can run 18s in your class or not, but a 245/35/18 A3S05 would probably be a bit quicker then a 245/45/17 V710. The V710s have more grip then the S05s, but with the taller gearing and extra sidewall flex the S05 might end up being quicker. :dunno:
I can... I autox with the BMWCCA, I have lots of room to play with in my class.. I'm in the bottom, points-wise.

If I did it again, I'd buy 18" rims..

but as it stands right now, I don't have the money :).

·
Old, Slow, and Havin' Fun
177 Posts
Hope you'll keep us updated on how you like the 710s, KrisL.

I'm thinking about moving from A3S04s myself, but like you, I have to change profiles if I do it. (45 vs 50)

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
What are you waiting for, John? You'll love them. :smokin:

Kris, you will too, gearing or not. I've done all year in the RX-8 on the 710s. Drove a BSP E36 M3 last week on S05s. The difference is like night and day when it comes to feel. Even if the S05s are ultimatley as fast or even faster with an alien type driver on a given car, us mere mortals should be able to get MUCH more out of the 710s since the feedback is so wonderful in comparison. They are just SO easy to drive fast and conisistantly.

jv...just for you:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
·clyde· said:
What are you waiting for, John? You'll love them. :smokin:

Kris, you will too, gearing or not. I've done all year in the RX-8 on the 710s. Drove a BSP E36 M3 last week on S05s. The difference is like night and day when it comes to feel. Even if the S05s are ultimatley as fast or even faster with an alien type driver on a given car, us mere mortals should be able to get MUCH more out of the 710s since the feedback is so wonderful in comparison.
Thanks for the input! The next autox is 7/19 (I *think*)... I'm looking forward to it!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
·clyde· said:
jv...just for you:

I hope you're saving those bad boys for Topeka!! :thumbup:

... man, I miss R comps!! :(

·
Old, Slow, and Havin' Fun
177 Posts
·clyde· said:
us mere mortals should be able to get MUCH more out of the 710s since the feedback is so wonderful in comparison. They are just SO easy to drive fast and conisistantly.

That did it!! 710s next. :thumbup:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Andy said:
I hope you're saving those bad boys for Topeka!! :thumbup:

... man, I miss R comps!! :(
They are in bags right now.

We are having some heavy duty tire discussions right now. As some of you know, the 710s we've been running so fasr this year have 92 runs and a bunch of heat cycles. We were convincedon Sunday in Toledo that they had heat cycled out (still have nearly 2/32 tread). I ordered a set of Hankook Z214s last week. They were supposed to show up Monday or Tuesday of this week. To make a long story short, they didn't get shipped and can't be shipped before Monday. These tires wre supposed to take us from Peru, through the NEDiv and three or four local events before the trip to Kansas.

We're rethinking everything right now.

If we put the new 710s on after Peru, I *think* they will still be near enough their prime in September. For reference, they will be at the same run numbers for Nats as our current set when I was fastest with them. OTOH, I was further down the learning curve earlier in their life, so I'd still expect them to be faster when newer. Of course, this plan assumes that I am unable to secure another set between now and then. If I could find another set, the newest ones wouldn't go on until September.

And I have the Hankook R-S2s on as street tires/poor-man rain tires now. No more Toledos. :madrazz: :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts