BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I need some friendly advice in re. to upgrading my OEM seats to some nice daily / track / autoX seats that offer improved support and allow for a harness.

Any experience with seat mfrs., model, compatability w. our e39's and ratings are greatly welcomed.

·
Modded 5
386 Posts
how about OEM M5 seats ???

i was thinking about this too....but one main reason why i don't want to go with aftermarket seats is i don't wan to lose my side airbag......

any idea guys ??

·
1 Red 540
359 Posts
well the airbag is in the door not the seat... i too am interested in some alcantera seats, i am more interested in recaro rather than sparco. The recaro's seem to fit the style and comfort req with the use of a possible harness

·
Modded 5
386 Posts
1Red540 said:
well the airbag is in the door not the seat... i too am interested in some alcantera seats, i am more interested in recaro rather than sparco. The recaro's seem to fit the style and comfort req with the use of a possible harness
coz the sensor are in the seats or under the seats ......that's why i was asking if anyone knows how to swap those sensor to the new aftermarket seats.....since most of the people i've asked that drives a bimmer that has side airbag and aftermarket seats....all of them lose the side airbag function

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have had the fortune to do many years of auto-x in a lot of different cars. I have always found unless you are talking about race buckets, the best most supportive seat is only 25% of the equation. Harnesses do more to keep a person in place. Get both and you'll be very happy. No more using your knee to brace yourself in your seat.

Make sure you get a proper 5 or 6 point harness. 4 points are dangerous. The lap belt allways rides up and can cause kidney damage in a crash, as well as submarining issues.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any updates on these? I'd like to swap into aftermarket seats. I'd like to have some feedback on how intrusive is the harness to people in the back. Who makes seat brackets for the e39?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
If you're interested in just covering worn seats but don't want to replace them, check out the offerings at iggee.com. I purchased two-tone covers for the front buckets of my old 325i (e36) and was very satisfied.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts