BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i bought the car i noticed the rear pillar clothe covers(light gray were glued and the glue was showing thru)barely holding it on
now my front ones are starting to get removed in the bottom section.
i do not live in a very humid are and baffled why is the cloth coming off?
sorry i dont have no pics.

but i'd like some advice how to rectify this sutiation,
i haphazardly tried to glue the front one with super glue, but it aint working.

went to an auto upholstering place
the guy said it would cost 200 to fix it(he'll be using new fabric) i could bargain it for 150 though.

i'd like some advice how to remove those pillar covers and glue the clots perfeclty.

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
When i bought the car i noticed the rear pillar clothe covers(light gray were glued and the glue was showing thru)barely holding it on
now my front ones are starting to get removed in the bottom section.
i do not live in a very humid are and baffled why is the cloth coming off?
sorry i dont have no pics.

but i'd like some advice how to rectify this sutiation,
i haphazardly tried to glue the front one with super glue, but it aint working.

went to an auto upholstering place
the guy said it would cost 200 to fix it(he'll be using new fabric) i could bargain it for 150 though.

i'd like some advice how to remove those pillar covers and glue the clots perfeclty.

thanks in advance.
The pillars pretty much pry out, just like most of the upholstered parts of the car.

In particular, for the rear, I had to take mine out to install the rear sunshade.

If memory serves, you take out the rear seat back (pull outward smartly at the upper corners), then the rear reading lights (held in by copper clips, slide out from the bottom) then you ease the pillars out gently.

I would have thought a yard or two of nice gray fabric and some 3M spray adhesive could be had for a lot less than $150?

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi - Wingspan helped me figure out how to remove the C pillar trim - it basically popped out. I purchased Permaseal adhesive from Autozone. I pulled the gray liner a little further back, masked off the surrounds and sprayed the gloppy glue on the plastic moulding and let it dry for 5 minutes. I burnished the gray fabric back onto the plastic ... the brownish glue was seeping up through the fabric! I continued to smooth the gloppy glue. I let it cure for 4 hours and then reattached the trim. If you look close you can see the change in texture due to the glueing/glopping but the color of the seeping glue went away. the repair has held up well though the joints between the removed trim and top trim are not as tight as the factory assembly - just look ahead! Mike

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had the same problem with both the windshield pilars... I replaced the entire plastic pieces with new OEM pilars for less than $80, doing the work myself. I think the side pilars are about the same price ($40-$50 each)... so that's an alternative to having them reupolstered for $200.

·
GO FLYERS!!!
319 Posts
I tried the glue repair first and after about two months of being baked by the sun the glue started to show through and irritated the heck out of me. I spent $160 total on new A and C pillars and spent 30 minutes putting all the new ones on and it looks so much better. My mild OCD always made me notice the imperfect original repair job so I had to bite the bullet and replace them. Just my $.02

·
Registered
240 Posts
I used upholstery glue on mine also, but after a while they'll fail again (culprit probably high heat/window down driving). After it was all said and done I just bought new panels (front/rear) and installed them...

·
GO FLYERS!!!
319 Posts
The C pillars are just held on with a couple push clips so gently start at the top and give it a tug away from the C pillar. Once the two clips at the top pop free the whole piece will come loose and you can slide it out. Be careful not to yank it too hard because you have to also disconnect the wire harness from the lights in the pillar cover. The A pillars are held in with three torx bolts. Use a small flat head screw driver or something else flat to pry off the bolt cover strip. It is the long piece that runs the length of the cover and has "SRS" stamped in the middle. Start at the top and gently pry it off to expose the bolts and then you can take the three torx bolts out and the cover will come right out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GLUE stick Sucks Bad, i used exactly the same ones as picture in the help ads, it was weak, insttead I used 3M drywall corner bead, a spray adhesive
works way better tha kid glue sticks.

i dou have troubel istalling one of the front pillars though, help please1

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dont mean to hijack the thread....but has anyone used like a silver/grey colored vinyl similiar to what Smolck used? (Carbon Fiber)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts