BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 bmw 535i Xdrive f10

so I'm driving my car, and when i make a sharp left turn, you hear a loud "clunk!, clunk!, clunk!, clunk!"

and when i turn sharp to the right, it does the same thing, but just not as bad.

my mechanic called bmw, and turns out from the bmw dealer, with my mechanics discount, each axle comes out to $1,000. so if i want to replace both axles the parts alone will cost me $2,000. plus whatever my mechanic charges me. (he won't charge me too much)

turns out its the cv join that looks to be messed up, and you cannot just purchase the outer axle vc joint, you must buy the whole thing.

so my mechanic told me, that all he's gonna do now is buy the boots (which are torn) and replace them, and replace whatever other little things come with that boot, and we will see if that takes the noise away.

when my mechanic called the dealer, the dealer also said that he never before sold a front axle for my car. its 2015, and i drive a 2011 model, and in 4 years one of the biggest dealers in the Chicago land area hasn't even sold this part before.

has anyone else here experienced this problem, and do you think that just replacing the boots will fix the problem? or maybe is it possible to just find the cv joint somewhere else, without purchasing the entire front axles???

thanks

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,157 Posts
The BMW XDrive setup uses CV joints at the front wheels? Was this a CPO used car? When was it purchased?

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,157 Posts
I looked online really quick -- place partsgeek.com I think. They have genuine BMW parts (it states anyway) -- about $220 per CV. I just searched really quick so it may not be the greatest site....

·
Registered
742 Posts
2011 bmw 535i Xdrive f10
has anyone else here experienced this problem, and do you think that just replacing the boots will fix the problem? or maybe is it possible to just find the cv joint somewhere else, without purchasing the entire front axles???

thanks
I wouldn't call it loud, but my 2011 (with only 15k miles or so) does this too, but only in slippery conditions when 50% of the power is probably going to the front. I'm complaining about this to the dealer now before warranty expires, but it doesn't do it when it's not slippery, so reproducing the problem could be an issue.

For me it's easy to hear, about the same left or right, but isn't "loud" and doesn't come with any vibration. It almost sounds like it would be expected to do it, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else with xdrive hears it in slippery (ice and snow) conditions and whether it is "normal" or complete abnormal and I should take a hard line with the dealer.

As to purchasing the whole axle or not - I'd probably want the axle as a unit. It will be balanced/matched etc... and a lot less labour to change out. If your boot is torn, that's definitely a big issue. Back when I owned FWD a long time ago I was a little paranoid about keeping an eye on the boots.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,157 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had similar issues with my car...see post here.

And I've had this issue since brand new. New axles are in and I'm at 12k miles on the Odometer...I haven't heard the noises again...however, I do notice when still making U-turns, it feels like the wheels are still binding somehow...I'm thinking it also has something to do with the transfer case probably defective also or needs a reprogramming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2011 535ix Front Axles

I live in CT. Really bad snow and ice last year. I hit an ice bank and destroyed both my front axles. same noise occurred. It got so bad that my steering wheel jumped out of my hands. I was able to get it covered under my collision insurance. final cost was $2700 with labor.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
The CV boot most likely tore and leaked all the grease out. This can happen from oil leaking on the boot or from road debris physically tearing a hole in it. When this happens the CV joint/bearing will fail shortly after.

Replacing the boot and packing it with grease again won't solve your issue. The bearings now have play in them and that is cause of the noise. They need to be replaced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Funny thing I ran into this post...I just got off the phone with my SA making an appointment for my 2014 550i for this exact issue! The car has a little over 6,000 miles, never drove it over any rough surfaces, or ran over any curb.
Not what I expected when buying a $75K "premium vehicle"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The CV boot most likely tore and leaked all the grease out. This can happen from oil leaking on the boot or from road debris physically tearing a hole in it. When this happens the CV joint/bearing will fail shortly after.

Replacing the boot and packing it with grease again won't solve your issue. The bearings now have play in them and that is cause of the noise. They need to be replaced.
replace the wheel bearings, or the entire axle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your problem, the contact between axle and wheel hub bearing. they have repair kit for it at dealer, I don't now the parts number. you can find it on BMW ITSA. you can try to clean the axle where it contact wheel hub, And retorque axle both. It take about 1 hour for each side. I have same problem with my. 2012 F10 550xi.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok everyone. so i did it. for all the people that have this problem in the future read...

just buying a new boot kit, with new bolts and all, replacing them, and putting new grease on the cv joints, WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM :)))

#1. if you start to hear this noise, you need to get it checked out immediately. otherwise the longer you wait, the more it will mess up your cv joints, and then you will have to replace the entire axle. get it checked out ASAP

#2.the parts from the dealer (boot kit, and new bolts) for both sides was $130.00, for the parts and labor in total i paid $420.00. thats way better than paying $2,500+. for both axles plus labor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok everyone. so i did it. for all the people that have this problem in the future read...

just buying a new boot kit, with new bolts and all, replacing them, and putting new grease on the cv joints, WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM :)))

#1. if you start to hear this noise, you need to get it checked out immediately. otherwise the longer you wait, the more it will mess up your cv joints, and then you will have to replace the entire axle. get it checked out ASAP

#2.the parts from the dealer (boot kit, and new bolts) for both sides was $130.00, for the parts and labor in total i paid $420.00. thats way better than paying $2,500+. for both axles plus labor.
Hi,
Could you please provide part number for the boot kit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem here :/

Can you tell me how bad was the noise. Because it makes the noise louder when I turn but I can even hear it when I go forward and the dealer wants to change the whole axle assembly for 2K.:mad: 1500$ only for the part...

If changing the boot kit solve your problem im wondering if I can do the same... but mines seems more damaged because the noise is really loud.

My question for you is how did you convice the dealer or your garage to change only the boot kit instead of the axle assembly. Thanks for you help buddy :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you tell me how bad was the noise. Because it makes the noise louder when I turn but I can even hear it when I go forward and the dealer wants to change the whole axle assembly for 2K.:mad: 1500$ only for the part...

If changing the boot kit solve your problem im wondering if I can do the same... but mines seems more damaged because the noise is really loud.

My question for you is how did you convice the dealer or your garage to change only the boot kit instead of the axle assembly. Thanks for you help buddy :)
only changing the boot lot will not solve the problem. you need to take the axle apart completely and put new grease in it. then put it back together, and put on a new boot assembly. i had the problem in both of my axles, and i did this to both of them. the right axle was fine after this, but the noise came back in the left after about 2 months, because it was just too bad. if he takes it apart and theres rust on the cv joint, then there is nothing you can do, it needs to be replaced.

my mechanic is a good friend of mine, so he did it for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts