Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
50skid and every other video I've seen made it look easy to remove the front axles. Just take the nut off and tap with a hammer. I've been banging on the axles (left and right) for over an hour and they don't appear to have budged a bit. Anyone else have trouble getting them out? If so, how'd you manage it?

Thanks
James

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replacing oil pan gasket and axle seals. i"ve had some liquid wrench sitting on there for a couple hours and am using a 4lb hammer. time to bring our the heavier stuff i guess.

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Where is it stuck: in the differential, or in the hub? Is the strut removed from the steering knuckle, with the knuckle hanging down and out with the axle stuck in it? Have you separated the axle from the hub?

If you need to separate the axle from the hub: use a large socket or a piece of 1/2" or larger solid round stock as a punch, beat the axle stub inward from the hub. It'll separate pretty easily (providing you are using the right BFG, I use a 3 lb. lump hammer). Your 4 lb.er is fine.

If that has been done and you are trying to pop the axle out of the differential, use that long punch mentioned above (or even a sturdy flat head screwdriver) against the protruding parts of the axle/CV (if seen from the end, it would look like a larger version of a "+") and give a few taps with the lump. The axle is held into the differential with a collapsable retaining collar ring that needs to be compressed in order to pop the axle out. All the penetrating fluid int the world won't help (it's already submerged in oil).

KUDOS to you for doing the oil pan gasket; not saying it wasn't leaking, but your oil leak would have probably been more easily fixed with a new front crank seal and new pan bolts with thread sealant.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The axles are stuck in the hubs. I was using a 4lb hammer and 1/2" extension (I know, ruined tools, etc) and hitting it as hard as I could. Felt like smacking an anvil. Even borrowed a puller from Advance Auto. The type you bolt to the hub and tighten a large bolt in the middle, then give it a tap. Nothing. Ended up disconnecting the lower control arms and was able to swing the driver's side enough to get the axle out of the diff and hanging out of the way. Passenger side I took the strut, hub, and axle out as a unit and set to the side. Those damn axles cost me about 3-4 hours today.

Worst part, my wife told me ahead of time to just pay a shop to do it. Now she's got that "I told you so" look.

It is almost certainly the oil pan gasket leaking. Could be a little from the front main but it's mostly clean up there. Could also be the rear main but since most of the oil is coming from where the trans bolts to the engine but there is clearly seepage from the oil pan gasket near the rear. Could have just left it alone with as little as it was but I'm a little OCD about things like that.

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
New pan bolts would have probably taken care of that. When you get there, you'll probably find them loose.

If you are going to use the borrowedpress, keep tightening it, and beating it. You do need to have the strut removed from its seat in the knuckle.

Put the big nut on the axle flush with the stub and send it direct with the hammer. Pull the rotor outwards, as axle tension tries to pull inward. If needed, I've rigged ratchet binders to a solid attachment point in the shop to hold parts. You can pound all you want but if the rotor/hub isn't pulled considerably outward from normal, the axle has no where to go. In worse case, you could take the hub/axle to a shop and have them press it out for $20 if you don't have a press,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts