Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F30 335i M-Sport had an unfortunate (I believe unavoidable) run-in with a piece of scrap wood (I believe that's what it was, it went by fast) on the freeway. Due to my view being blocked by a truck, when the item came into view all I could do was avoid hitting it square-on. I was able to get away from it mostly and am somewhat happy the damage to my car wasn't greater than it was. However there is a rip in the front bumper cover and the car definitely needs repair (see photos).

I am very happy with the work of a local certified BMW body shop here in LA but they of course quoted me to replace the bumper and the estimate is roughly $1425. The car is a lease and in great shape of course at 6k miles on it - so I'd like the repair done well. Unfortunately my insurance looks at this as an at-fault accident and it is not worth the rate increase most likely after my deductible to claim this. If it were half this cost I'd have had it fixed already...

My question is, is this reasonably repairable (instead of replacing bumper)? Or is there a shot at finding a Glacier Silver F30 M-Sport bumper cover as a used part already (kind of doubt that)? I don't really want to take the time to get a ton of estimates if the consensus agrees that this is most certainly a replacement. What do you guys think?

I'll certainly take a recommend for a good body shop on the East side of Los Angeles (Hancock Park) or valley. I've never been happy with the paint matching outside of the work at that certified shop so I'm probably going to bite the bullet and just repair it at full rate. The difference probably isn't worth it. This is my reality check - thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
It looks as though it could be repaired without a lot of effort. I had a larger rip in my right front corner and the insurance company paid for a new one because a used one could not be found. The price for a complete new one was not a lot more than a repaired one but the cost of removing the old one and replacing it with the new one is when the price went up. If you have the ability too do the replacement yourself then you might make out ok with a new one. If you are having a shop fix it then a repair is probably in order.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Considering an unpainted m-sport bumper cover is $900 discounted, paying a dealer 1400 seems cheap for labor and paint to put it on. You could always buy it on www.getbmwparts.com, get it painted and pt it on yourself but I think I would gladly pay someone couple hundred to do the labor to get it done right.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The bumper is quoted (w their markup) at $685.74. Parts also include the roundel and side markers, total parts $746.87, $824.99 taxed. Labor is $422.40 and paint, flex additive & disposal another $179.40...

I'm leaning towards replacing it but looking at those costs I think I'm still going to get a quote for repair to see. Then it comes down to the original question, if I think the repair will be 100% and the edge close to perfect. If I can find a reputable shop that thinks that's not a bad idea we'll see.

I have one in mind to try out, I'll keep you guys posted as to what they say. Thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
703 Posts
How much can OP sell his nicked bumper? I am sure dealership will sell it for someone to refurbish to turn into a new bumper...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'd be happy to recoup a bit of this if I replace it. I'm going to get a repair quote finally early this week and will decide. I'm not sure how I'd manage that sale though - if I replace it that will be via a dealership body shop and they aren't going to buy it. Then I have a damaged bumper to cart around and get rid of. Not sure it'll be very viable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts