BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realised my car does not have one of these fitted.
Owned the car for over 3 years. Had a steering box fitted under warranty not long after I bought the car so I wonder if it was removed then and not refitted.
There is a stamp on the front axle saying not to drive the car with the plate not fitted. I have been for 3 years and it drives fine. Now I'm concerned and a bit shocked so im going to have to get one.
Anybody know the consequence of not having this plate fitted?

· 2001 740il Sport, RIP
709 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about the plastic under lining under the engine/front suspension? there's no immediate consequence to not having it--but if you run over something theres nothing to protect your front end components. Try a junk yard or ebay for a cheap replacement.

· Registered
182 Posts
I believe the consequences of not having the plate are 1) more flex of the chassis especially in turns/cornering 2) if you bottom out, some components that were designed to be protected, will not, and can be severely damaged (it's much easier than you think, ask me!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.