Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I don't post here often, preferring to search and read first. However, this time I haven't been able to find what I am looking for.

My 2012 X6 35i has a rotational rhythmic clunk that only surfaces betwee 5-20 mph crawling through traffic. Not all the time, but quite frequently lately. I think it's the front diff. Removed the plastic trim and tried rotating the front drive shaft. Heared quite a bit of noise. Take a look at the video. Do you think it's shot?

https://youtu.be/zXKwsW_X6vQ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes.... kind of. I took it to a shop and they could not figure anything out. So, I found a diff from a junked X5M (supposedly same part number) with 20k on it for $400 shipped. Crawled under the car, swapped it out and never heard the noise again.

Found a post on a Russian forum about these diffs sometimes twisting the cases slightly after being exposed to some load and this results in slop and knocking/ticking. This kind of confirmed my fears; I did some drifting in snow-covered parking lots, and maybe that was the cause ( sliding on slick ice, then abruptly stopping on a clear asphalt patch...)

Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts