BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2006 325CI with a annoying what would best be described as a "click" coming from the front left hand side. Just had it it in to the shop and they can't find anything wrong with it. Control arms sway bars rack and pinyon all look good. The front control arms were replaced 20,000 miles ago, Total miles on the car 72000. Any ideas?

· Registered
2,091 Posts
Help us with more description.
Click, click, click continually? Or just once?
While drive? At what speeds? Or just sitting idling? Or reving the engine?

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sound comes at low speeds or high speeds and the same turning left or right. Once the car is moving it is not a continuous sound but any irregularity or bump in the road brings it back. Sudden acceleration has no affect. I had the shocks replaced earlier in the year and while it didn't appear right away after the installation it seemed to be shortly after. The car has been stored over the summer. The shocks were installed in February and i noticed the noise in May before i stored for the summer. But started driving it last month and the noise seems to be getting worse. And it only occurs while the car is moving. Hope that helps.

· Registered
1,456 Posts
Decent brand of shocks? There is so much garbage out there in aftermarket car parts (and elsewhere).

· RayMondo
670 Posts
The sound comes at low speeds or high speeds and the same turning left or right. Once the car is moving it is not a continuous sound but any irregularity or bump in the road brings it back. Sudden acceleration has no affect. I had the shocks replaced earlier in the year and while it didn't appear right away after the installation it seemed to be shortly after. The car has been stored over the summer. The shocks were installed in February and i noticed the noise in May before i stored for the summer. But started driving it last month and the noise seems to be getting worse. And it only occurs while the car is moving. Hope that helps.
What about the frequency? Does it get faster as you go faster?
Are you sure it's coming from the front?
I developed click one time and drove with the window open to hear it better and it sounded like it was coming from the front.
But if was a stone wedged in my back tire tread.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JKRIT
Thanks for your response, I did have the shocks replaced earlier this year. The mechanic recommended Bilstein. Are they any good? On the matter of the noise, after a lot of searching and mechanics finding no front end issues the noise ( kind of a clicking) is coming from the hood. If you use your hand and raise the back of the engine hood ( near the windshield up and down you can here the " click". So i unlatched the hood and drove it a short distance and sure enough no more noise. I had the front pneumatic lift supports replaced earlier in the year and that it when i started hearing that click. So don't know if that had anything to do with it. So i guess it is now off to the body shop and see if they can resolve the issue

· Registered
1,456 Posts
Sounds like you've localized the problem at least.
Many people love Bilsteins; I'm not one of them. I don't want to lower my car, don't want a stiffer ride, and don't want to sideline my car while I send one back to Bilstein for a warranty repair/replacement if it goes "clunk," which happened to more than a few people with E39s.

· Registered
1,456 Posts
I would think that the non-sport BMW/Sachs shocks/struts are about as soft as it gets. Want softer? Move "up" to a 5-series.

Reactions: Tommy D

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JKRIT Thanks for all your comments, I guess I'll stick with these shocks. I am having a bit of love hate relationship with my car, maybe as many do that can't work on their cars. My next big expense is the cooling system overhaul. I guess my question for you if you have time is what are the next big expenses with 73, 000 miles ?

· Need for Speed
613 Posts
You just answered your own question, cooling system overhaul. Might develop some vacuum leaks, gasket leaks, like the Valve cover Gasket or OFHG and or a window regulator failing. Did you change the spark plugs yet? You have to remember, even though the car only has 73K miles on it, it's still a 16 year old vehicle and anything can fail at anytime.

· Registered
1,456 Posts
"Big expense?" If you have an auto tranny, I would search/seek advice on this board for making it last. I can't advise because I've never had an auto BMW, but I know they are expensive to replace. Nothing else I would call "big." O2 sensors can be expected to wear out at close to 100k miles. Keep checking floors for water: door vapor barriers fail without notice. If the car lived in salted roads, I would suggest watching the bottom coil of each rear spring: They corrode and break off (we're on our third set of rear coils).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts