BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

front headlight bulb short issue

463 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  dc_wright
hi,

i took out the right low beam bulb(right side high beam is also out), and it was 11 volts (which is good)
but once i plug it back in, it shows 0 volts (either both node were 0 volt or both were 11 volt)
anyone had the same issue? so frustrating debugging it the whole afternoon. any advise is much appreciated. Thanks!!!

I was using a new H1 bulb, and i tried two new ones, so i really dont think this is bulb short.
and the left side low/high beam is good, i also checked fuse, it is good.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Were the bulbs not working before you took them out? (probably so, or else why would you take them out?) Having 11 volts (which is LOW, not good) on both sides of the circuit with the bulb disconnected tells me you've had a wire melt-down and they're fused together somewhere before reaching the headlight connector. Start tracing wires.
Keep in mind that BMW likes to switch the low side of a circuit to ground to turn it on as opposed to switching 12V to apply it to the high side. Couldn't tell what your hookup was looking here at work (company blocks photos/videos to preserve bandwidth), but I'll try and take a look tonight at home.
hi,

i took out the right low beam bulb(right side high beam is also out), and it was 11 volts (which is good)
but once i plug it back in, it shows 0 volts (either both node were 0 volt or both were 11 volt)
anyone had the same issue? so frustrating debugging it the whole afternoon. any advise is much appreciated. Thanks!!!

I was using a new H1 bulb, and i tried two new ones, so i really dont think this is bulb short.
and the left side low/high beam is good, i also checked fuse, it is good.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.