BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a state that does not require a front bumper license plate. So, I would like to take the frame off of the bumper of my 545. Man, was I surprised/pissed to find that the license plate frame was screwed directly into the bumper itself! There are two raised screw holes that are very visible.

In my 540, BMW had a very well thought out solution for this, but not so now...or at least from what I see.

Has anyone else dealt with this and, other then keeping the frame in place, did you find a reasonably inconspicuous solution?

Thanks, Dan

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I'll probably sand down the raised portions carefully and then find something to plug it with and apply touch up paint

The other option is something like Bumperplugs.com if they make them in 545 colors. Or just leave the plate holder on, perhaps with a euro plate.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
TGray5 said:
I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I'll probably sand down the raised portions carefully and then find something to plug it with and apply touch up paint

The other option is something like Bumperplugs.com if they make them in 545 colors. Or just leave the plate holder on, perhaps with a euro plate.
But you're required to have a front plate in CA! :p

...this coming from a guy who hasn't had a front plate on his 530i since day one, 57,000 miles ago! :rofl:

I did, however, go ahead and put my front plate on the 545i....

·
Jai Ram Ji Ki :-)
140 Posts
ughhh and now i wanna know if in ny front plates are neccessary ..

·
Registered
162 Posts
My dealer here in California didn't even attach the front licence bracket. There was a disclaimer form I had to sign saying that I knew that they hadn't attached the licence bracket. Funny. And good, no holes!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
remington said:
My dealer here in California didn't even attach the front licence bracket. There was a disclaimer form I had to sign saying that I knew that they hadn't attached the licence bracket. Funny. And good, no holes!
Same experience here--I told them in advance not to attach front plate, and when I was signing the paperwork, they had me sign the release form--apparently some dealers were getting into trouble for not installing the front plates.

For those with holes, I've used Bumperplugs on several Porsches:
www.bumperplugs.com

·
Registered
32 Posts
front marque plate-is it worth the holes

My dealer did not install the front frame but did provide
it to me. I was thinking of installing it and then putting on the
BMW marque plate on.
Does it look good enuf to make the holes in the front bumper?
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
stream said:
For those with holes, I've used Bumperplugs on several Porsches:
www.bumperplugs.com
You know, if their shipping price wasn't so bloated, I would have picked up a pair for my 545i and nixed the front plate. For some reason, when I saw the shipping price, I swore I'd find another solution or just leave the plate on.

Plate's still on.... :)

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
645Cic 'no plate in the front'

Hello My Friends:

My dealer did not install the front plate nor did I fill out any form... I am required to have it NY/NJ.

-GMAN

·
Big Pete
87 Posts
Hi Dan,
I assume KY does not require a front license plate as I only received one when I registered my 545 SMG. However, I was equally disappointed to find the front license plate frame drilled into the bumper.

My work-around: I mounted my ED plate over the holes.
Big Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Front license plate on 530

Any idea on how to install the plate holder without screwing into bumper. I have the holder which fits in underneath but that's it woithout screwing into bumper.

Just bought the car from NC and I live in NYS so it's required if I want ot avoid getting pulled over all the time.

Thanks

·
Merc Convert
744 Posts
Front plate required in CT, but I'll be damned if I fugly up the M Sport bumper on mine. I pulled it off, was expecting huge holes but as it turns out they aren't that bad. My plan is to clay, polish and wax the whole bumper simply leaving the very small screw holes in place. They are barely noticeable, and compared to having a hideous front plate, the bumper now looks much better. Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I must admit i don't get the uproar surrounding front license plates. I had them when I lived in Texas, and thought they looked fine. I know live in Georgia, and don't have them. If I move to a state that requires them, I'll drill holes and attach. Not a big deal. I don't think it ruins the aesthetics to a noticeable degree, and it's certainly better than being THAT guy - you know, the one who's "so concerned" about the look of his car that he's too vain to attach plates. C'mon guys - it's not a big deal!

And if you're moving from a state that requires them to one that doesn't, just get the darned plugs or attach one of those emblem plates to the front. Problem solved, and the world still goes round. :)

·
Merc Convert
744 Posts
I must admit i don't get the uproar surrounding front license plates. I had them when I lived in Texas, and thought they looked fine. I know live in Georgia, and don't have them. If I move to a state that requires them, I'll drill holes and attach. Not a big deal. I don't think it ruins the aesthetics to a noticeable degree, and it's certainly better than being THAT guy - you know, the one who's "so concerned" about the look of his car that he's too vain to attach plates. C'mon guys - it's not a big deal!

And if you're moving from a state that requires them to one that doesn't, just get the darned plugs or attach one of those emblem plates to the front. Problem solved, and the world still goes round. :)
No, YOU'RE that guy. The clueless guy that doesn't appreciate a work of art and thinks its ok to have a big rectangle attached to the middle of a bumper that deserves to be shown off as it was designed.

Count me in as vein, along with 99% of the other people on this board.

·
The Pumpkin King
47 Posts
Any idea on how to install the plate holder without screwing into bumper. I have the holder which fits in underneath but that's it woithout screwing into bumper.

Just bought the car from NC and I live in NYS so it's required if I want ot avoid getting pulled over all the time.

Thanks
Don't know if they would work on your car, but on our Mini we got a plate holder that screws into the towing tie down bolt location. I agree with the others about a plate screwed into the bumper is fugly. Unfortunately on my X3 it was already on there when I bought it.:tsk:

·
Registered
228 Posts
No, YOU'RE that guy. The clueless guy that doesn't appreciate a work of art and thinks its ok to have a big rectangle attached to the middle of a bumper that deserves to be shown off as it was designed.

Count me in as vein, along with 99% of the other people on this board.
It's designed to have a front license plate drilled into it - it's law just aout everywhere except for a few states in the US. And while I can appreciate the look of most BMWs, I would hardly call them works of art. But to each their own, I suppose.

·
Merc Convert
744 Posts
It's designed to have a front license plate drilled into it - it's law just aout everywhere except for a few states in the US. And while I can appreciate the look of most BMWs, I would hardly call them works of art. But to each their own, I suppose.
So 55 or 65 is the law just about everywhere, you're never going over that limit?? If it's not a safety issue, then I see no problem with it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
How about this one?

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

I figured if I ever get a ticket for not having a plate, I'll buy one of these, attach the plate, get the ticket signed off, and then remove it again. Any holes are invisible.

One of the vain ones.......:D

Keith

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.