BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the clean look of having the front license plate removed, but don't like the idea of getting a ticket for it. So I was thinking about relocating it down a few inches so that it would sit inside the front spoiler (I think that's what it's called :dunno: ). Anyway before I attempt to move it, does anyone forsee any possible problems with this? The only concern I could think of was if blocking the space with the license plate might cause an issue. I didn't know if the spoiler aided in cooling the car, and if the relocation could have an impact. This may sound like a dumb question :tsk: , but I know squat about the engineering and would hate to disrupt anything.
Thanks in advance

·
B-Rad
305 Posts
I just keep drving around fat dumb and happy without it. Since Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari and the like never have them, I assume nice cars are exempt? I just pretend my Coupe is cool enough that cops lump me in with them and don't bother me.
Seriously, when was the last time you saw either of those cars with one? :dunno:

·
Empowered Consumer
4,042 Posts
Speed00 said:
I just keep drving around fat dumb and happy without it. Since Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari and the like never have them, I assume nice cars are exempt? I just pretend my Coupe is cool enough that cops lump me in with them and don't bother me.
Seriously, when was the last time you saw either of those cars with one? :dunno:
What he said.

Alex

·
Registered
400 Posts
In my former life I didn't care about the front tags (of out of state cars 'cause we don't have 'em) other than to see if they were driving under suspension or driving a stolen car. In other words, I'd look to see if they had a front tag, if they had an inspection sticker, and then if they had a rear tag. If they didn't match up, I would turn around and have a talk with them. If they were legit, no ticket/trip to jail. But you'd be surprised how many I found that a) didn't have insurance, b) hadn't registered their car in *years*, and (sometimes or) c) were driving under suspension.

Bottom line is the lack of the front tag may not get you stopped but it *is* probable cause to stop you so mind your p's and q's (i.e. keep that insurance up, don't have a drink, don't let your license get suspended, keep your pants on, etc.) :D

·
1,421 Posts
viper501 said:
In my former life I didn't care about the front tags (of out of state cars 'cause we don't have 'em) other than to see if they were driving under suspension or driving a stolen car. In other words, I'd look to see if they had a front tag, if they had an inspection sticker, and then if they had a rear tag. If they didn't match up, I would turn around and have a talk with them. If they were legit, no ticket/trip to jail. But you'd be surprised how many I found that a) didn't have insurance, b) hadn't registered their car in *years*, and (sometimes or) c) were driving under suspension.

Bottom line is the lack of the front tag may not get you stopped but it *is* probable cause to stop you so mind your p's and q's (i.e. keep that insurance up, don't have a drink, don't let your license get suspended, keep your pants on, etc.) :D
oh crap, 5-0 is here!! run! :eek:

:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mng said:
how are you planning on remounting it? you're not gonna drill into the bumper are u?
Well here's where my true ignorance will shine
I was thought I could use an "L" bracket of sorts and attach that to the underside of the bumper and then the license plate would screw into the bracket.
Drilling into the bumper is a NO, NO? I already have the existing holes where the plate is currently attached :dunno:

·
1,421 Posts
Case said:
Well here's where my true ignorance will shine
I was thought I could use an "L" bracket of sorts and attach that to the underside of the bumper and then the license plate would screw into the bracket.
Drilling into the bumper is a NO, NO? I already have the existing holes where the plate is currently attached :dunno:
i think you'll regret it if you drill. :eek:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mng said:
i think you'll regret it if you drill. :eek:
Why do you think I'll regret it?
Can you think of any difference to the holes that are currenly in the front bumper?

I didn't think the holes would be an issue, I thought maybe something with airflow? :dunno:

BTW I appreciate the input. :thumbup: I've learned it's best to bounce ideas of this Forum, before jumping into anything. Especially since I have no experience/knowledge to back my idea up.

·
1,421 Posts
well, i'm no engineer, but...the holes in the front of the bumper are in a nice, thick area for support. if you run a L bracket out from under the front lip (a thin piece of plastic) of the bumper, i would guess the wind on the lic. plate and gravity would cause the bumper to flex and maybe cause damage. plus i'm not sure it'd be a visual improvement.

dude. just take that piece off. it's required in tx too, but like someone else has said, i haven't seen many 360 modenas driving around with front plates.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mng said:
well, i'm no engineer, but...the holes in the front of the bumper are in a nice, thick area for support. if you run a L bracket out from under the front lip (a thin piece of plastic) of the bumper, i would guess the wind on the lic. plate and gravity would cause the bumper to flex and maybe cause damage. plus i'm not sure it'd be a visual improvement.
You're right that could turn into a very bad situation. I didn't think about the force on the plate itself.
mng said:
dude. just take that piece off. it's required in tx too, but like someone else has said, i haven't seen many 360 modenas driving around with front plates.
I don't see many 360 modenas with or without plates :p , but agreed that looks like I need to do to get the clean look.
Thanks again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tell the DMV you lost the front plate. You pay $10 for a new one. They will give you a receipt showing the new plate is on its way (which says you can run without a front plate for 6 months). Repeat every 6 months. $20/year for no plate. (Mass. Laws)

·
Registered
400 Posts
As far as the 'mechanics' of things go, I would be very hesitant to block off any airflow into the radiator area. There is not a lot of surface area there to start with and you might find cooling to be an issue, as you suspected. I'd also be careful, as pointed out by someone else, that you make sure whereever you are planning on drilling a) has nothing expensive behind it and b) will be sufficiently strong to support the plate at speed.

and I'm not Five O anymore. Now I just represent 'em in court. :D

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
Not one of the 3 has a front plate on it at this time. I did get a ticket coming home from Homecomgin last year. Cop on Rt 301 bridge over the Potomac working on Labor Day Monday. :(

He gave me a no points, normal ticket. Not even an inspection one where I would have to show it was fixed. Just paid the fine and went on.

Two ways of being "legal" I have seen. Sorry no pics.

1) Subaru WRX< wrapped the plate around the lower lip of the lower grill opening. Done right, it would provide some extra protection from curbs. :)

2) Lotus Super 7 autocross car, had the front palte INSIDE the cooling opening. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.