Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes 01 330ci has no plate nor a place to mount it. Her being more of the "worst case scenerio " type. I am looking for a bracket. Recomendations on where to find one?

DSipp

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Bah! Had the BMW in Texas for a year now - never got a ticket for no front plate. The day I removed the plate, I got a speeding ticket (the only one in the bimmer) and the cop didn't notice the plate. Besides, if the cop does notice it - you might be able to use that as an excuse to get out of the ticket (He has to write you up for something since he pulled you over - let it be for the plate not the speeding).

Besides, the car looks much better with no plate.

Anyway if you really want one, it's just a piece of black trim that pops out. You can order the replacement piece from circle or pacific BMW. But I'm sure if you post here or on E46Fanatics, you can find someone willing to do an even trade with you for your old non-plate trim.

·
Road Goober
465 Posts
I swear there was some law that was passed in texas that allowed you to not have a front plate. Was I mistaken?

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Nic3quik said:
I swear there was some law that was passed in texas that allowed you to not have a front plate. Was I mistaken?
It was supposed to pass. But apparently there was some other pork in the bill that caused the bill to get shot down. So no - to the best of my knowledge - that law never did get passed :mad:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
Anyway if you really want one, it's just a piece of black trim that pops out.
This is not true for coupes and cabrios like the original poster's. Without a plate base, they have a beautiful un-marred bumper; the plate base must be painted to match the car, then holes drilled in the bumper to attach the base.

·
Registered
73 Posts
dsipp said:
My wifes 01 330ci has no plate nor a place to mount it. Her being more of the "worst case scenerio " type. I am looking for a bracket. Recomendations on where to find one?

DSipp
I have an 2001 325i that has a front plate adaptor and I don't need one (front plate) in Arizona. Does anyone know if these are the same bumper? If they are, do you want to trade?
-Phil

·
Road Goober
465 Posts
Wow, I have been driving around without my fontal plate. After a fender bender replaced my front bumper I had them put in a non plate strip. Looks awesome and clean but apparently illegal!? Do you have to be doing something illegal for you to get pulled over? I see so many cars like this in Texas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info team. We have been pulled over once in the BMW and it was for no front plate. At least this was the reason they gave. Got the warning and went on our way. This is why she is paranoid.

Dsipp

·
Registered
73 Posts
It sure depends on what KIND of car it is.. when my brother and I was teenagers living in Michigan he had a 1967 RS Camaro and we took the front plate off of it, with the foling headlamps it looked ultra-smooth. The very first trip into town we were pulled over and given a 'warning/repair' ticket. While the cop was writing the ticket we counted 5 cars without front plates!
By the way, we used to have front plates here in Arizona and the state said if they deleted the front plates they would save something like $150K per year (if I remember correctly) the cops complained but they didn't get their way.. we have been front-plate delete for over 10 years now.
(this is something all states should do to save money) a cop friend of mine once told me that he had never looked at the front plate of car, he always moved around behind it if he wanted to check it out... his argument was unless the car is sitting still in front of you it goes by so fast you can only see what color it is!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts