Votes: 30 40.0%
  • M Bumper

Votes: 45 60.0%
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which way to go. Any feedback or experiences with either one would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
It depends on how much $$$ you have and how meticulos you are about the looks of the car.

1.) The spoiler lip is much cheaper, nothing has to change. The cost is the spoiler + the paint job.
2.) The M bumper, if you want it to look good, you actually have to change quite a few underbody panels, which will run you a pretty penny. I went this route, and the parts to do the change were more expensive than the M bumper + paint job. There are other people who kept the original underbody panels, but the look is meh... maybe all right-ish.

·
Gearhead
1,129 Posts
The m5 bumper will NOT have provisions to route your existing forced air cooling to the brake discs. And, if your car's a '97-'98 The M5 bumper will NOT HAVE PROVISIONS, but will block off, the forced air cooling to the alternator.

IF it were me, I'd just slap on that Mtechnic lower spoiler if you want a more aggressive front end. Like Doru said, it's cheap, and it will give your car that racer look.

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The purest in me is leaning towards keeping the stock bumper and adding the lip to give the front end a little face lift.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've had both with two different E39s.

The OEM lip is nice and gives a mild sporty look but after owning an M-sport, I have to say that I definitely prefer the M sport bumper - I don't think any other design would have matched the E39 more beautifully.

But it depends on your wheels, drop, body color. I've seen some E39s with the OEM front lip pulled off very nicely.

·
Under the lift arms
13,182 Posts
Neither, brakes n suspension first

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

·
Gearhead
1,129 Posts
The purest in me is leaning towards keeping the stock bumper and adding the lip to give the front end a little face lift.
Also, take a look at other lip options from Alpina, RD SPORTS, AC *****zer, Hamann...all styled with taste and function. Lots of great choices out there for the e39.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
The m5 bumper will NOT have provisions to route your existing forced air cooling to the brake discs. And, if your car's a '97-'98 The M5 bumper will NOT HAVE PROVISIONS, but will block off, the forced air cooling to the alternator.

IF it were me, I'd just slap on that Mtechnic lower spoiler if you want a more aggressive front end. Like Doru said, it's cheap, and it will give your car that racer look.
Yes and no.
Yes, it will not cool the disks if you do not change the underbody panels I was talking. You need to retrofit the brake air channels - which I did, and you need the grill that is not blocked off on the sides (mine is not blocked off). Or if it's blocked off, you need the "sink drain" mod.
Also, I changed the receptacle of the driver side foglight to channel the air to the alternator. For instance, the DDM foglight bracket/receptacle is blocked off and will not channel any air to the alternator.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

If I could, I would go back to stock.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I had both, stick with the lip and save a bunch for other, more serious, mods.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm jealous, Jason! Please, don't let me wait for 2 years (like your CO) b4 you get that on.... :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Go OEM or don't do it at all. Ebay crap looks like crap.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

If I could, I would go back to stock.
How dare you! You're car looks much too awesome to consider going back to stock! ;)

I agree with all here. I've had the lip and liked it (even though it was the ebay cheapie). But when I curbed and destroyed it I decided to go the much more $$ route with the knock-off MTECH bumper. I love it though and couldn't go back. All boils down to $$ and preference. Also if you add a full MTECH front you will have to add the rear or it would not look right. Again, more $$.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts