Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So after doing the front brakes on my f11 2014, the front end is not sitting level anymore.

I’ve taken it for a few drives (about 70km now) and there is about 1.5cm difference between front and left.

For the job I jacked up from the front Centre jacking point behind the engine (the subframe) and then placed the car on stands at the front jacking points (under the door sills).

I had the car on the stands for about 24hrs.

When it came time to bring it down, I once again jacked from the front central jack point to remove the stands.... it’s was here that something didn’t feel right. The left side came up off the jack stand very quick where as the right needed quite a lot more to come off.

I lowered the car, thought nothing of it (thought maybe the ground wasn’t SO level but it’s not like I jacked up on uneven rocks, I was in my barn on a concrete slab. Probably not perfectly level but certainly not bad.

Anyway, I’ve taken it for a few drives, tried to get it to settle into place again but it still sits up on one side... there is a slight pull now to the right so the steering wheel needs a bit of left to keep t straight...

Surely I haven’t bent the car or have I? I’ve been working on my own cars for years and have never had this happen.....

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So just to add to this.

It appears the front AND the back on one side is higher than the other by the 1-1.5cm.

Plugged in the Carly adapter and did a diagnostic.

First one returned 2 codes in the ICM and one in the brake fluid reservoir but after clearing them they haven’t come back... been for a drive and they’re still gone....

Really love any ideas you guys have right now.....

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
*Witty short comment here
492 Posts
Try this....
Lift the car again and mount it; all 4 sides and measure the distance from a flat surface.

If its the same then you have small suspension margin.
if not (which is very very very unlikely) you have bent frame.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try this....
Lift the car again and mount it; all 4 sides and measure the distance from a flat surface.

If its the same then you have small suspension margin.
if not (which is very very very unlikely) you have bent frame.

Thanks a bunch for he suggestion, the problem is that I can’t get all 4 off the deck... I’ve only got jack stands...... I have to get it onto a 2 post hoist and get the weight off the wheels I agree... I’m hoping that if I get the weight off the wheels, some kind of reset will happen....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aw man, that's a bummer. Interesting to say the least.

What do those codes mean? Think there's any chance is the active dampening not resetting correctly?

Have you tried driving in different modes (comfort, sport)?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aw man, that's a bummer. Interesting to say the least.

What do those codes mean? Think there's any chance is the active dampening not resetting correctly?

Have you tried driving in different modes (comfort, sport)?

Yes I agree big bummer!!

Not sure about the codes but I’m hoping that it is exactly as you have intimated here nd that it’s just some kind of reset or leveling needed to get her level and NOT something bent... the fact that it’s high at the front AND back gives me hope that this is the case!

I’m not sure I’ve tried different modes, I think I did last night on my way to dinner but can’t be sure....

Will try tomorrow!!

Thanks for the concern though

·
Registered
722 Posts
What active features does the vehicle have?

Any chance that a sensor has broken, failed, or had a linkage pop off? Or, was disconnected? Wire pinched or snagged? Is there any way it thinks the car is sitting crooked and active suspension components are thinking they are leveling the car out? There are various cables, wires and harnesses up there and collateral damage could have happened.

I had a friend with a 750 who had a little plastic clip or lever break on one of the level sensors. The vehicle systems thought he was always in an unstable turn and dramatically lowered the throttle response and power output since it thought there was a stability issue. Fixed the clip/lever and full power was restored.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What active features does the vehicle have?

Any chance that a sensor has broken, failed, or had a linkage pop off? Or, was disconnected? Wire pinched or snagged? Is there any way it thinks the car is sitting crooked and active suspension components are thinking they are leveling the car out? There are various cables, wires and harnesses up there and collateral damage could have happened.

I had a friend with a 750 who had a little plastic clip or lever break on one of the level sensors. The vehicle systems thought he was always in an unstable turn and dramatically lowered the throttle response and power output since it thought there was a stability issue. Fixed the clip/lever and full power was restored.

Ok thanks for the info!

Well I’m not sure at all what’s happening here... BMW technician was kind enough to reply to my question and he’s suggested checking the shock strut connection to the steering knuckle... this makes a lot of sense.

As for sensors etc, I have no idea what’s what in this thing sensor wise but I ran a diagnostic and there’s no errors remaining.

I’m off overseas for work for the next two weeks so the mrs will have to take it to BMW and see what they say (and charge )

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ok thanks for the info!

Well I’m not sure at all what’s happening here... BMW technician was kind enough to reply to my question and he’s suggested checking the shock strut connection to the steering knuckle... this makes a lot of sense.

As for sensors etc, I have no idea what’s what in this thing sensor wise but I ran a diagnostic and there’s no errors remaining.

I’m off overseas for work for the next two weeks so the mrs will have to take it to BMW and see what they say (and charge )

Just one quick note - a physically damaged sensor may not know it is broken - code reading doesn't tell you everything.

Now - if instead of looking for codes you looked at the values output by the level sensors and saw that the LF sensor was reading that it was at maximum lift when the car was level (as much as possible) on the ground - then you'd have something to chase.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just one quick note - a physically damaged sensor may not know it is broken - code reading doesn't tell you everything.

Now - if instead of looking for codes you looked at the values output by the level sensors and saw that the LF sensor was reading that it was at maximum lift when the car was level (as much as possible) on the ground - then you'd have something to chase.

Yes I see, where are the front level sensors? The right side is the high side but when I changed the brake pad wear sensor (left hand side) and disconnected the brake pad sensor at the junction box in the wheel well, I remember thinking “geez I hope I didn’t bugger the wires leading into the other sensor connection In that junction box... i thought the other connection there was the abs sensor?

All good stuff guys! Keep it coming!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts