BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new Bimmer owner here. Bought my car a little over a month ago, but I'm moving to a state soon that requires a front plate.

My previous reading and calling around indicates that the norm is that holes get drilled right in the front of the nose. :tsk:

I've recently ordered a tow-hook plate apparatus, since that seems to be the play here. The off the side look seems about as good as a front-plate is going to appear. Has anyone had any experiences with these?

Additionally, a friend of mine in another front-plate state had some custom apparatus installed that allows her front plate to pop out of the hood and situate itself on the front of the car with the click of a button! Does anybody know how much these run for/their legality?

Sorry for the 20 questions!

· Registered
214 Posts

· Banned
10,087 Posts
Hi all, new Bimmer owner here. Bought my car a little over a month ago, but I'm moving to a state soon that requires a front plate.

My previous reading and calling around indicates that the norm is that holes get drilled right in the front of the nose. :tsk:

I've recently ordered a tow-hook plate apparatus, since that seems to be the play here. The off the side look seems about as good as a front-plate is going to appear. Has anyone had any experiences with these?

Additionally, a friend of mine in another front-plate state had some custom apparatus installed that allows her front plate to pop out of the hood and situate itself on the front of the car with the click of a button! Does anybody know how much these run for/their legality?

Sorry for the 20 questions!
HAR!

I'm sure it actually comes & goes beneath the car. But, I have tow hook - works fine, no worries. Kindofa chopper look.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Chopper

· Worlds Foremost Authority
22,293 Posts

· Registered
1,161 Posts
Why the fuss?

I suppose I'm a heretic but I don't see all the fuss about drilling holes in the bumper of a car. Unless your car is worthy of being in a car show, why worry about it? (FWIW, I'm going to say that most E90's aren't winning any best in show medals).

My car had a front plate because it was from a different state originally and there are holes drilled. Instead of worrying about it, I stuck a WSU plate on the front and I'm actually happier for having the plate there. I could care less how the plate is attached as long as it doesn't fall off. It's not like I'm ever taking off unless I find one I like better. I bet the same goes for most of the people who have front plates required where they live.

· Registered
23 Posts

· Registered
1,161 Posts
I have to ask one more question for those of you using the off-center mount. What makes more sense....using some half-assed mount where you drive every day with your car looking like someone tacked a license plate on the front corner of your car or doing something that at least makes it look like it was intended to be there? If the appearance of your car is important, why do you want it to look silly for years with the idea that it might look marginally better in the future if you move someplace where you aren't required to have a plate? If you look at the California plate in the post above and compare it to the center mount on my car, which one looks like something that BMW would actually install on a car? For all the obsession about how perfect some folks want their e90's, it seems kind of stupid to do it wrong just so you can say that you didn't put holes in your bumper.

· This space for rent
173 Posts
My car is in the shop right now getting an M replica bumper installed. I will probably take my chances w/o a front plate for a while and see how that goes. They really do f&*k up the aesthetics of the car.

Shakey

· Registered
8,097 Posts
My car is registered in NJ which is state that requires a front plate. But I have never had my front plate mounted and have only been pulled over twice for it (Since 2006)....knock on wood.

I think the tow hook plates are "ricer." It's an Evo thing...just my personal opinion.

· Registered
2017 M2 and 2017 Mustang
2,640 Posts
My car is in the shop right now getting an M replica bumper installed. I will probably take my chances w/o a front plate for a while and see how that goes. They really do f&*k up the aesthetics of the car.

Shakey
Agreed. I have had BMW's since '08 and never had a front license plate installed and never been pulled over or ticketed for it. License plates do make the front end ugly and I will gladly pay the fine to keep it that way should I ever get one. My current car came with one but I removed it and put in bumper plugs within about two weeks.

· Banned
10,087 Posts
I have to ask one more question for those of you using the off-center mount. What makes more sense....using some half-assed mount where you drive every day with your car looking like someone tacked a license plate on the front corner of your car or doing something that at least makes it look like it was intended to be there? If the appearance of your car is important, why do you want it to look silly for years with the idea that it might look marginally better in the future if you move someplace where you aren't required to have a plate? If you look at the California plate in the post above and compare it to the center mount on my car, which one looks like something that BMW would actually install on a car? For all the obsession about how perfect some folks want their e90's, it seems kind of stupid to do it wrong just so you can say that you didn't put holes in your bumper.
What makes more sense? Tow hook mount. You've a personal issue if modding your car to please others. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

· Bad Lieutenant
6,401 Posts
Around here, police look for bumper covers which have holes, and no plate, as opposed to a cover that has no holes, or bumper plugs. Every locale is different.

· Registered
1,161 Posts
What makes more sense? Tow hook mount. You've a personal issue if modding your car to please others. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
It's true that each person on this board should be making sure that they are "modding" their car with the right motivations. Of course.....that was my point. I'd rather be happy with my car on a daily basis than worrying about what the next owner of the car thinks. I'm not putting my car in car shows so I won't be removing the plate in the entire time I own it. To me, drilling holes in a bumper to install something securely (and centered) is more important than worrying about a pristine bumper. It's all about what's important to you.

If you are required to have a front plate, you should at least ask yourself if there is a legitimate reason to not drill holes in your bumper. Luxury cars can lose ten thousands of dollars per year in depreciation so the couple hundred dollar hit in value from a front plate bracket (if that) is really inconsequential. The

That said, if you are a happier BMW owner knowing that your bumper is pristine.....knock yourself out.

· This space for rent
173 Posts
It's true that each person on this board should be making sure that they are "modding" their car with the right motivations. Of course.....that was my point. I'd rather be happy with my car on a daily basis than worrying about what the next owner of the car thinks. I'm not putting my car in car shows so I won't be removing the plate in the entire time I own it. To me, drilling holes in a bumper to install something securely (and centered) is more important than worrying about a pristine bumper. It's all about what's important to you.

If you are required to have a front plate, you should at least ask yourself if there is a legitimate reason to not drill holes in your bumper. Luxury cars can lose ten thousands of dollars per year in depreciation so the couple hundred dollar hit in value from a front plate bracket (if that) is really inconsequential. The

That said, if you are a happier BMW owner knowing that your bumper is pristine.....knock yourself out.
The bottom line is that it just plain looks better. No other reason for me.

Shakey

· IntarWeb Stalker
10,180 Posts
I guess some people don't want the holes drilled in their car. While it may seem as a silly thing, if it bugs someone then it's worth changing. For example...when I wire my home speakers...how the wires are laid out and connected behind the scenes is JUST as important to me as what is visible. So I will spend extra time/money on making sure the wires BEHIND the walls are nicely connected and laid out. THese are wires that should never be touched and definitely never looked at... Then again, that mouse hiding behind the wall, which is looking to eat my cords may be annoyed if his dinner is not properly laid out :)

· Registered
23 Posts
I didn't even see this reply until now! Well, the only "right" way is keeping it off completely but unfortunately I can't do that legally. Do you ever see BMW commercials with the front plate on?? Hah, but in all seriousness, as some of the posters above have said, I personally think it looks great on the side. To each their own!

I guess some people don't want the holes drilled in their car. While it may seem as a silly thing, if it bugs someone then it's worth changing. For example...when I wire my home speakers...how the wires are laid out and connected behind the scenes is JUST as important to me as what is visible. So I will spend extra time/money on making sure the wires BEHIND the walls are nicely connected and laid out. THese are wires that should never be touched and definitely never looked at... Then again, that mouse hiding behind the wall, which is looking to eat my cords may be annoyed if his dinner is not properly laid out :)
Also, like furby said. I just couldn't find myself drilling holes in any part of my car, especially a freshly re-painted bumper! However, who knows... maybe if/when I get tired of the side look I'll drill those holes in the center anyways.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.