BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

While changing out my winter set (yeah)...I put my summer tire and wheel on the front while up on jack stands. After I got the bolts in, I free wheeled the wheel and the rotors catch the pads. I would say that it catches about 1/3 of the rotor.

In other words, their seems to be inconsistent clearance from the pads to rotors and the front wheel is not able to freewheel.

This happens on both front left and right.

Is this normal? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
negative on the pulsing -
warped rotors were top of the list but brake feel great.

:dunno:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, my search revealed the following taken from bavauto:

3) Check for sticking brake calipers. Step hard on the brake pedal, then release it. Now spin each front wheel/tire assembly. They should spin fairly freely. If either one will not spin for at least two revolutions, you may have a sticking brake caliper caused by corrosion between the caliper's hydraulic piston and its cylinder bore. This would require either replacing or rebuilding the caliper. NOTE: This test is not as reliable for all-wheel or front-wheel drive models, due to the drag of the drivetrain components. However, if one side has noticeably more drag than the other, and the pads on that side are more worn than the other side (step 7), this would be an indicator of a potentially sticking caliper.

The Bimmer is down from the jacks now, so I'll have to wait till Sunday to check this out. Will update...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts