BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a steep driveway, I can navigate up and down if I ride the right side of the drive, BUT I've rubbed the bumper already so I need to address the problem. I've been trying to find a link for front skid plates. If anyone knows one, and also if I install the skid plates on the bumper, is there then an increased chance that the metal will drag possibly catching and rip the bumper apart????

Will

·
Have Fun... Life is short
82 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with your question, but your car is absolutely gorgeous! I thought I was looking at my car when I saw your picture. :thumbup:

I also have a 2006 3.0si with the same wheels. Mine is Silver Gray Metallic which is the darker silver. Is yours the Titanium silver or the darker silver?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Titanium

Yea, it's Titanium, it's the first BMW I have owned and I just love it. I just hope I can keep my foot out of the pedal.

WS

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have a 2008 si, same livery, wheel etc...looked like mine as well....you have a great looking car LOL...now re: that front end?? Have the same problem in our new retirement villa we have. I have only found RoadsterSolutions.com to have a front piece..BUT its only for pre-face lift cars that is before your year. AND its plastic. I have found nothing else in a 3 year search. SOOO I do what you do...back out, turn and down she goes with no problem. I just go slow and count it one of the side issues on this beast....just my HO tho..good luck on this one.

·
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry
942 Posts
I have only found RoadsterSolutions.com to have a front piece..BUT its only for pre-face lift cars that is before your year. AND its plastic.
I am wondering if you could have a custom one made...very cheap I would think.

Form the template out of stiff cardboard. Determine where mount points would be and add that to the design. Then take this template to a metal worker.

I am sure that given the car, the template and their expertise...this could be done!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
template

Exactly what I have been thinking, After all it can only be a 1/4" plate material, so yea I can use paper for that matter and acquire a pattern for one side and mirror it. If all else fails I can easily acquire the dimensions, just kinda hoping I could find an off the shelf item.

·
Have Fun... Life is short
82 Posts
I've found that when someone doesn't make what I "need" then I am probably going down the wrong path. What I mean is this. Do you really need a custom bumper/bumper plate/skid plate? :dunno:

Does it rub only when you are on the apron (where the driveway meets the street)? If that is true it may be less money to regrade the apron. My guess is about $1,500 to bust out the old concrete and pour a new concrete apron. I don't even want to think about the cost of a customized bumper (painted Titanium Silver) for a Z4. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Drive

Yes, that's true but I have seen these available for other Z models, just not for the Z4 as of yet, I'd like to regrade drive maybe add some asphalt.

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts
Look up RPI plates. I just purchased a pair. They have not been installed, but if you google it you will see one guy with a Z that already did and he has some pictures posted.

Best regards

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts
I got mine installed with little fuss. Friend of mine has a oil shop so I got him to lift me up, fixed the corner fang plastic insert, found I was missing a number of screws underneath and that my fan shrowed had bucked up and was flopping loose. Fixed all that, got extra screws in place and put the plates on with Truss head screws after reading other posts on Zpost about someone who put the skid plates on with hex head bolts and had them tear off when he scraped over something.

The skid plates have 2 holes already lined up with the screw holes for the corner fang plates, simpley either use the same screw temparaoly or get some kind of rounded screw and insert. I sell fasteners so I went and got a 10 x 1 1/4 Truss Phil Stainless screw with fender washer and it was done.

In all the other places I used a 10 X 3/4 Hex Washer Type A stainless as replacements for the small black screws. I might take them back out later and spray paint them black.

Best regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts