BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was parking the car tonight and the freakin' lot is on a slight incline. I didn't even see the concrete block at the front of the spot and ssccrrattchh. What a mess! I checked the damage and its pretty bad. I have about 10-15 2-3" scratches on the underside of the spoiler. I thought the plastic was clear underneath, I guess I was wrong, its black and pretty noticable (at least when you're looking underneath the car). You can't really notice it otherwise. Should I even bother to get this fixed? Any ideas how much would it cost to fill and paint? I figure it can't be cheap.

Stupid parking lots. I'm so careful with this car, it just upsets me that I didn't notice that block. :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Maybe 100 - 150 to sand out and paint or you can tape it off and do it yourself with spray touchup paint... go a couple weeks, it will start to piss u off so bad that it's there that you will know you want it fixed... it's that OCD many of us have :(

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Time to trade it ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ack said:
I was parking the car tonight and the freakin' lot is on a slight incline. I didn't even see the concrete block at the front of the spot and ssccrrattchh. What a mess! I checked the damage and its pretty bad. I have about 10-15 2-3" scratches on the underside of the spoiler. I thought the plastic was clear underneath, I guess I was wrong, its black and pretty noticable (at least when you're looking underneath the car). You can't really notice it otherwise. Should I even bother to get this fixed? Any ideas how much would it cost to fill and paint? I figure it can't be cheap.

Stupid parking lots. I'm so careful with this car, it just upsets me that I didn't notice that block. :banghead: :banghead:
That sucks dude! If that's the only scratch you have get it fixed, especially for only $150.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LilEccentricJ said:
Maybe 100 - 150 to sand out and paint or you can tape it off and do it yourself with spray touchup paint... go a couple weeks, it will start to piss u off so bad that it's there that you will know you want it fixed... it's that OCD many of us have :(
It's already starting to annoy me. I'm more pissed at myself than anything else. I would want the paint to match, and I don't trust myself to do something like this. I can't see it only being $100-$150 though. If it is, this is a no brainer. I was thinking it might cost 5-$600 to fix. But then again at that price, I could buy a new front spoiler and have it painted for a little bit more. :dunno:

·
///Mpty pockets
1,963 Posts
Ack said:
I didn't even see the concrete block at the front of the spot and ssccrrattchh. What a mess! I checked the damage and its pretty bad. I have about 10-15 2-3" scratches on the underside of the spoiler.
I did the same exact thing when mine was only 3 days old. :banghead:

I tried to use touch up paint and it ended up looking significantly worse. So then I sanded it to smooth everything out and now it looks better but I wish I would have never touched it to begin with. I asked a body shop about fixing it and they laughed (in a nice way) and told me that they wouldn't fix it since they honestly couldn't see the damage until they laid on their backs under the car.

It has been a couple of months now and it still bothers me to know that it's there but nobody else has ever noticed it. I even pointed it out to a couple of people and they still said they couldn't see it. :dunno:

Bottom line, my advice is to have someone who is not 'emotionally' attached look at it before you do anything.

Oh, and if you do get a price let me know as I am still wondering what it would cost. :angel:

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Probably won't make you feel any better but mine's all scraped to shit... that life living in the city. And damn I forgot all about it until I read your post.:banghead:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ack:

I so feel your pain bro. :cry: Just get it fixed. As a fellow BMW enthusiast/owner, I totally know where you're coming from, and I know how pissed you get everytime you think about it. If you wait a while, every now and then, BMW dealers send out some coupons that are good at the dealership to get things like that taken care of at a lesser price {at least mine does, and so did my old Mercedes-Benz dealer} or maybe you'll meet someone who can hook you up....but either way, I feel your pain, and you won't get over it till you get it fixed. :banghead:

-Faheem

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Front Spoiler Scratched!

bren said:
I did the same exact thing when mine was only 3 days old. :banghead:

. . .Oh, and if you do get a price let me know as I am still wondering what it would cost. :angel:
I just checked it out this morning; its even worse then I thought. :banghead: There is a significant amount of paint missing and some pretty deep grooves in the plastic. Like you said bren, no one can see it unless you lie on your back. But then again, it is there and it does annoy me.

When I find out how much it costs, I'll post it here. I have to goto my dealership to pick up some parts I ordered anyway, maybe they can take a look at it.

I'll take pictures when I get home from work and post them. I might have to jack the car up though . . .:yikes:

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DougDogs said:
Understandably, you may want to have a professional job done, but I think your going to find it is not too expensive to fix. (you may want to wait till the spring, plastic bonding works best in 50-65 degree weather, and you may get more damage during the winter:dunno: )

(mine was actually torn, when my wife backed up from the parking stone)
Thanks Doug! I will look into a professional job, and maybe wait until Spring. The damage is worse than I thought when I looked at it last night. At least its the bottom of the bumper, which I believe is a seperate peice. If this is the case, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to remove and have painted in a day.

I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I did that... and in your pic #3, I ripped that black flap that sticks down in front of the tire right off the bumper part. Then 3 months later I ripped the whole bumper and fender off the car on a bridge.. It's all nice and new now.

Fix it if it bothers you, serious.

·
When will then be now?
836 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I would probably never get something like that fixed. Scratching up the underside of the spoiler seems almost inevitable to me. :dunno:

Maybe I'm just careless with my cars? Haven't done it in the Bimmer yet, but I can think of a few times when it happened on my last car. :eek:

No biggie, though. It's plastic, and nobody can see it.

Michael

·
5,820 Posts
Ack,

I'd leave it alone. First off, it looks like some of it may rub out with polish or rubbing compound. Second, you can't see it unless you really look. Third, Doug had a good suggestion of a do it yourself fix. And fourth, just wait for the big one in front and have it all fixed then. Or, if you have the car long enough, when it's chipped enough on the bumper and hood have it all redone. Just my opinion. My wife's 540 has scratches visible on the front of her bumper and going under and I don't even see them anymore. Do yourself a favor, revisit the issue in a month and see how you feel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts