BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have 1997 528i and thing standart suspension not sport one.
Can I buy OEM struts for M sports suspention or they are different from standard strut? Can anybody explain me the real difference between them?

I'm gathering info to change my front suspension and found that those for sport one is much cheaper from standard...

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
No you can't. The sport strut is shorter and designed to go with the shorter sport spring. Using sport struts on the standard spring would probably result in a shorter service life. You would need to change springs to use the sport strut, thus eliminating any cost savings, although your car would be lower and handle a little better. :p

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I can't say for sure but I believe that yes you can use an OEM Sport strut / shock with a standard height spring. Just like Bilstein and Konis will work with a standard spring.

But there is a better solution than OEM Sport. The Bilstein HDs will work with a standard spring or a shorter OEM Sport spring, or an aftermarket spring.

And are a tad stiffer and more immediate reacting than the OEM Sport shock, and they are of superior quality and will last way longer.

And if you later decide to go with lowering springs they will work with them too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts