BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It won't come out with a impact gun or breaker bar. I got the other front shock in with little issues.

Also are the torque specs for the three bottom bolts 60ft pounds and the small top bolts 16ft pounds?

·
Registered
12,766 Posts
Does it spin or is it frozen in place? If it's spinning, tap on the exposed end lightly while you're turning it. If it's frozen you're going to need to slather it with penetrating oil like PB Blaster and let it sit overnight.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it spin or is it frozen in place? If it's spinning, tap on the exposed end lightly while you're turning it. If it's frozen you're going to need to slather it with penetrating oil like PB Blaster and let it sit overnight.
Its not spinning. I'm going to let it soak in pb when I got to work in 10 mins.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
Yeah, try some penetrating oil, then if you decide to hit it with a hammer, put the nut on the end of of it first. That way you won't kill the threads when hitting it with a hammer.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, try some penetrating oil, then if you decide to hit it with a hammer, put the nut on the end of of it first. That way you won't kill the threads when hitting it with a hammer.
Well I lost the nut to the bolt. Fortunately the guy that I bought these from has the old nut and bolt so I am going to go back and get it tomorrow.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I found the nut in between the brake rotor. I got the bolt out and finished everything and I lower the front and when I go to lower the rear my jack craps out on me. So now its 2am and half my car is still on jack stands.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
Yeah, maybe the seals just blew out.

This serves as a good reminder to us all when it comes to the risks associated with jack up a car, though. I frequently rely on the jack alone when quickly swapping wheels. I never get underneath the car when it's like that, but if the jack were to ever fail, it would fall onto my [very expensive] brake rotors, which would suck.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, maybe the seals just blew out.

This serves as a good reminder to us all when it comes to the risks associated with jack up a car, though. I frequently rely on the jack alone when quickly swapping wheels. I never get underneath the car when it's like that, but if the jack were to ever fail, it would fall onto my [very expensive] brake rotors, which would suck.
I have quality 3 and 4 ton craftsman jack stands. If I didn't just spend all my money on koni suspension I would go out and get a craftsman floor jack.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
Honestly, I don't know that Craftsman is any better than HF. Probably depends on what "grade" of Craftsman you buy. Some of their entry-level stuff is about on par with HF tools, IMO.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
Yeah, I suspect the Sears jack is also made in China like the HF jack is. Could've even been made in the same factory and just had different stickers put on it. Many of the Craftsman tools are now made overseas. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you do run into the same product being sold under a different name from time to time.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I suspect the Sears jack is also made in China like the HF jack is. Could've even been made in the same factory and just had different stickers put on it. Many of the Craftsman tools are now made overseas. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you do run into the same product being sold under a different name from time to time.
What am I going to do with all of this:

Its not completely blown but it close. I think I'm going to keep it so if my car is ever in a wreck I can swap the stock suspension back in.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
What am I going to do with all of this:

Its not completely blown but it close. I think I'm going to keep it so if my car is ever in a wreck I can swap the stock suspension back in.
It's your call. I sold my old springs and recycled the struts/shocks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts